Scary Roach clip

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
dzogchungpa

Re: Scary Roach clip

Post by dzogchungpa »

Well, whatever the man may have done for Mahayana in the past, he is currently making a mockery of it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

The typical "for all we know" statement always applies...but it's more than mockery.
Mad guides.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

nuff said.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

There is a new article about him in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

If you mean the June 2013 issue, I can't find it. Just went to the news-stand and looked.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

It is listed here rollingstone.com/latest issue, right under 'mad science of national debt'. I will take a look when i am in town tomorrow.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Don't worry - I think there is a separate Australian edition, and that story isn't in it. Actually I have decided I am not particularly interested in reading about that character. There's something that just isn't, in the Australian vernacular, 'fair dinkum' about him.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
mandala

Post by mandala »

JKhedrup wrote:When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.
I second that. Particularly since a friend of mine is currently in that retreat. It's more than worrying that people can go into 3 year retreat under the care of a mentally unstable 'teacher'... and then stay there after shit hits the fan and a man is dead. I have grave fears for the retreatants who didn't pack up and get the hell out of dodge.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

mandala wrote:
JKhedrup wrote:When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.
I second that. Particularly since a friend of mine is currently in that retreat. It's more than worrying that people can go into 3 year retreat under the care of a mentally unstable 'teacher'... and then stay there after shit hits the fan and a man is dead. I have grave fears for the retreatants who didn't pack up and get the hell out of dodge.
Particularly since the dead man was the boyfriend of Roach's ex-girlfriend...
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

It is worth a read for those interested, as the author was able to secure interviews with both Michael Roach and Christie McNally (his former consort and wife of Scott Thorson who died in a cave on the retreat property.

After reading the article I am sticking to my original opinion about Michael Roach. He is completely unsuitable to be a teacher. Despite the opportunity he doesn't even mention that he is sorry Ian Thorson is dead. Indeed, he doesn't mention any regrets at all despite the disastrous record of DM mishaps. Instead, he prefers to talk about his new student, ''a Russian oligarch worth 8 Billion''.

As for McNally, I am not sure how I feel. It seems she still relishes in some of her past reality, mentioning how ''a mere glance or tilt of my head could make things happen''.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Roach agreed to the interview "on the condition that he would not answer questions about Thorson's demise."
Interesting.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

He also mentions that he could talk about Diamond Mountain but "no one will even care about it in 3 months." Does that include him, has he abandoned all concern and responsibility for the people there remaining in retreat?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Lord Yama.

Just like the rest of us.

~~ Huifeng
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

Ayu wrote:Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?
he's not.
everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

dharmakirti said if you dont have a pramana, dont talk. but in this day and age people just cant help themselves.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

5heaps wrote:
Ayu wrote:Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?
he's not.
everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

dharmakirti said if you dont have a pramana, dont talk. but in this day and age people just cant help themselves.
Should we all assume that you have a pramana (a source of information to back your claim that he is not responsible for what happened) and are in the process of informing us?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

gregkavarnos wrote:
5heaps wrote:
he's not.

Should we all assume that you have a pramana (a source of information to back your claim that he is not responsible for what happened) and are in the process of informing us?
a responsible person might consider "do i even have a pramana to account for my usage of the word 'blame'". my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.

aside from that you can read michael roach's own letter which describe the actions he undertook prior and in response to the incident. there is nothing even remotely morally unacceptable about any of his behaviour. is there something in particular that you think is?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

5heaps wrote:my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.
And george Bush has not been charged for crimes against humanity. So what?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

5heaps wrote:everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Dharmakirti!
5heaps wrote:a responsible person might consider "do i even have a pramana to account for my usage of the word 'blame'". my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.
As far as the OP is concerned, I directly perceieve that the roach clips I have referred to are scary. Since I have not been charged with any unlawful behavior, I am not to blame for anything else that transpires in this thread.

Return to “Media”