Scary Roach clip

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Re: Scary Roach clip

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue May 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Well, whatever the man may have done for Mahayana in the past, he is currently making a mockery of it.
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby Nilasarasvati » Tue May 21, 2013 5:24 pm

The typical "for all we know" statement always applies...but it's more than mockery.
Mad guides.
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby JKhedrup » Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 pm

When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Nilasarasvati » Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm

nuff said.
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby JKhedrup » Mon May 27, 2013 10:44 pm

There is a new article about him in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Wayfarer » Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 am

If you mean the June 2013 issue, I can't find it. Just went to the news-stand and looked.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby JKhedrup » Tue May 28, 2013 7:24 am

It is listed here rollingstone.com/latest issue, right under 'mad science of national debt'. I will take a look when i am in town tomorrow.
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Wayfarer » Tue May 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Don't worry - I think there is a separate Australian edition, and that story isn't in it. Actually I have decided I am not particularly interested in reading about that character. There's something that just isn't, in the Australian vernacular, 'fair dinkum' about him.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby mandala » Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm

JKhedrup wrote:When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.

I second that. Particularly since a friend of mine is currently in that retreat. It's more than worrying that people can go into 3 year retreat under the care of a mentally unstable 'teacher'... and then stay there after shit hits the fan and a man is dead. I have grave fears for the retreatants who didn't pack up and get the hell out of dodge.
mandala

Postby Konchog1 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 pm

mandala wrote:
JKhedrup wrote:When life has been lost I am generally less forgiving. Making 3 years of deep meditation open to the general public and not making sure they had decent supervision was at best irresponsible.

I second that. Particularly since a friend of mine is currently in that retreat. It's more than worrying that people can go into 3 year retreat under the care of a mentally unstable 'teacher'... and then stay there after shit hits the fan and a man is dead. I have grave fears for the retreatants who didn't pack up and get the hell out of dodge.
Particularly since the dead man was the boyfriend of Roach's ex-girlfriend...
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby JKhedrup » Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

It is worth a read for those interested, as the author was able to secure interviews with both Michael Roach and Christie McNally (his former consort and wife of Scott Thorson who died in a cave on the retreat property.

After reading the article I am sticking to my original opinion about Michael Roach. He is completely unsuitable to be a teacher. Despite the opportunity he doesn't even mention that he is sorry Ian Thorson is dead. Indeed, he doesn't mention any regrets at all despite the disastrous record of DM mishaps. Instead, he prefers to talk about his new student, ''a Russian oligarch worth 8 Billion''.

As for McNally, I am not sure how I feel. It seems she still relishes in some of her past reality, mentioning how ''a mere glance or tilt of my head could make things happen''.
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue May 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Roach agreed to the interview "on the condition that he would not answer questions about Thorson's demise."
Interesting.
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
dzogchungpa

Postby JKhedrup » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

He also mentions that he could talk about Diamond Mountain but "no one will even care about it in 3 months." Does that include him, has he abandoned all concern and responsibility for the people there remaining in retreat?
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Ayu » Tue May 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Huifeng » Wed May 29, 2013 4:51 am

Lord Yama.

Just like the rest of us.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby 5heaps » Wed May 29, 2013 11:23 am

Ayu wrote:Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?

he's not.
everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

dharmakirti said if you dont have a pramana, dont talk. but in this day and age people just cant help themselves.
5heaps

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 29, 2013 12:25 pm

5heaps wrote:
Ayu wrote:Isn't there anybody who could bring him to justice - if he is to blame for these events?

he's not.
everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

dharmakirti said if you dont have a pramana, dont talk. but in this day and age people just cant help themselves.
Should we all assume that you have a pramana (a source of information to back your claim that he is not responsible for what happened) and are in the process of informing us?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby 5heaps » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
5heaps wrote:

he's not.

Should we all assume that you have a pramana (a source of information to back your claim that he is not responsible for what happened) and are in the process of informing us?

a responsible person might consider "do i even have a pramana to account for my usage of the word 'blame'". my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.

aside from that you can read michael roach's own letter which describe the actions he undertook prior and in response to the incident. there is nothing even remotely morally unacceptable about any of his behaviour. is there something in particular that you think is?
5heaps

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

5heaps wrote:my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.
And george Bush has not been charged for crimes against humanity. So what?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby dzogchungpa » Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm

5heaps wrote:everything else in this thread is opinion which when you dwell on and share publicly, becomes gossip and gossiping.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Dharmakirti!

5heaps wrote:a responsible person might consider "do i even have a pramana to account for my usage of the word 'blame'". my pramana is the fact that he has not been charged with any unlawful behaviour.

As far as the OP is concerned, I directly perceieve that the roach clips I have referred to are scary. Since I have not been charged with any unlawful behavior, I am not to blame for anything else that transpires in this thread.
dzogchungpa

PreviousNext

Return to Media