Trapped in an elevator with Chatral Rinpoche

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Trapped in an elevator with Chatral Rinpoche

Post by Nilasarasvati »

I've heard from different teachers that requesting teachings is always highly meritorious and advantageous to the Bodhisattva path. Even if there is no chance, or potential for that to happen, to just ask is something so profound.

However, I'm wondering about which teachings to ask for! Is it okay to ask for pointing-out instructions when you very first meet a Lama??
Is that also very important and perhaps the highest priority you could ask for as a beginner? What about Bodhicitta vows?

Basically, if you were trapped in an elevator (for only ten minutes) with Chatral Rinpoche or Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche or otherwise your most ultimate possible embodiment of the teachings (assuming you don't have a root lama yet)--what would you request??
Lhasa

Re: Trapped in an elevator with Chatral Rinpoche

Post by Lhasa »

The first time I asked for teachings, I simply said to the Lama, "I would like to receive everything you wish to give."
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

"What do you recommend?"
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Nilasarasvati wrote:I've heard from different teachers that requesting teachings is always highly meritorious and advantageous to the Bodhisattva path. Even if there is no chance, or potential for that to happen, to just ask is something so profound.

However, I'm wondering about which teachings to ask for! Is it okay to ask for pointing-out instructions when you very first meet a Lama??
Is that also very important and perhaps the highest priority you could ask for as a beginner? What about Bodhicitta vows?

Basically, if you were trapped in an elevator (for only ten minutes) with Chatral Rinpoche or Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche or otherwise your most ultimate possible embodiment of the teachings (assuming you don't have a root lama yet)--what would you request??
:namaste:

:good: and very good question.

My 2 cents.

When you are in the presence of a Lama of that caliber, or ChNNR, there is no need to ask for anything. They can read you chapter, verse, line, and word. This is how it is.

If you smile, they will smile, and whatever you are needing for your spiritual progress, and usually what you are asking for in your heart, will be given. This is how it is.

If something that you are asking for in your heart, is not given, this means that it is not in the best interest of your spiritual progress, and you let it go.

This is how it is.

As a beginner it is always good to ask for Bodhicitta vows (I took mine from HHDL, under the Bodhi tree at Bod Gaya) and it is always good to ask for, and take, pointing out instruction.

:heart:
Last edited by oldbob on Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

"I would like my mind to be like yours. Please teach me something that will help move me in that direction."
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

My thinking is you show that yo know something about *them*
by asking for a high teaching from a lineage they hold, specifically.

You might ask a Longchen Nyingtik Lama for the Rigpa Tsal Wang,
a Dudjom Tersar Lama for Throma or Ngang Jang. Of course there
are many possibilities... But one unfortunate outcome is to ask and
hear the Lama say, "I don't know that particular practice."
lobster

Post by lobster »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Basically, if you were trapped in an elevator (for only ten minutes) with Chatral Rinpoche or Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche or otherwise your most ultimate possible embodiment of the teachings (assuming you don't have a root lama yet)--what would you request??
Ground floor :smile:
Nilasarasvati

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Yeah Lobster I hear that. I think I'd be terrified.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Basically, if you were trapped in an elevator (for only ten minutes) with Chatral Rinpoche or Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche or otherwise your most ultimate possible embodiment of the teachings (assuming you don't have a root lama yet)--what would you request??
I'd ask him if he had any mo-mo's and chang with him because you never know how long you will be trapped. Okay, you say ten minutes, but by the time somebody notices something is wrong, calls the repair company...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

In India, you might be there a long time.
...And how many people would you have to bribe to get rescued?

This is not a problem you want to be rescued from. ;)
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'd ask him if he had any mo-mo's and chang with him because you never know how long you will be trapped. Okay, you say ten minutes, but by the time somebody notices something is wrong, calls the repair company...
I'm pretty sure Chatral Rinpoche doesn't eat momos. Not sure he drinks chang either.
I bumped into him once. He was alone and I sat on a wall near him not realising it was him at first. I was too scared to say anything.
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

I'm always intrigued why beginners want to jump from 0 to 60 in six seconds. If one likes to play basketball once and a while and then bumps into Michael Jordan are you going to ask how to win a Championship? Probably not. Remember not everyone is a professional mediator and that's okay. As Pema Chodron reiterates..."Start where you are."
Nilasarasvati

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Wait is that directed at my question?
lobster

Post by lobster »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Yeah Lobster I hear that. I think I'd be terrified.
Terrified of not being rescued?
The idea of being stuck in an elevator is not terrifying. Rinpoches are the most innocuous company, unless you are in terror.
So is your question: 'what is the ultimate, most important question that can be asked?'

Perhaps the lift engineer knows . . . :hi:
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

You could request anything, which would be wonderful, but would you be willing to make it profound by unequivocally agreeing to any unexpected practice requirements the lama may unexpectedly asked you commit too? All I am saying is just beware of that possible scenario when requesting teachings, and whether or not you are prepared for that.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

michaelb wrote:I'm pretty sure Chatral Rinpoche doesn't eat momos. Not sure he drinks chang either.
Well I guess we will have to go hungry and thirsty while we wait for the repair crew! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mandala

Post by mandala »

wow, good question... these days, I'd probably be too nervous and worried about bothering a Lama with the nonsense that would likely come gushing out of my mouth. I don't think I'd ask for anything & just feel blessed to be there.

But back in the day, i once flew overseas on an impulse to see a Lama... waltzed in and asked if he would ordain me. :shock:
Yep. Yep. I was much braver before i heard about protocols!
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

mandala wrote:I don't think I'd ask for anything & just feel blessed to be there.
Most of the time this is how I have been. Nary a peep out of me.

But not always.

I too have been much braver before I heard about protocols.

When I think now of some of the places and situations that I have "waltzed into" without having the slightest idea what was happening, I cringe.

But those times were what they were. That was then and this now, etc. etc.

Still, your post brought back a number of memories.

:namaste:
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Yeti wrote:You could request anything, which would be wonderful, but would you be willing to make it profound by unequivocally agreeing to any unexpected practice requirements the lama may unexpectedly asked you commit too? All I am saying is just beware of that possible scenario when requesting teachings, and whether or not you are prepared for that.

I see. Profound.

Well, if you want or need profound, go for it.

Everybody wants or needs something different.

I'm ordinary.

Have already had plenty of profound in my life.

Good to know how this is viewed though.

Cheers.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

MalaBeads wrote:
Yeti wrote:You could request anything, which would be wonderful, but would you be willing to make it profound by unequivocally agreeing to any unexpected practice requirements the lama may unexpectedly asked you commit too? All I am saying is just beware of that possible scenario when requesting teachings, and whether or not you are prepared for that.

I see. Profound.

Well, if you want or need profound, go for it.

Everybody wants or needs something different.

I'm ordinary.

Have already had plenty of profound in my life.

Good to know how this is viewed though.

Cheers.
Profoundly ordinary :namaste:
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications

Return to “Nyingma”