Vivid Awareness

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
White Lotus

Vivid Awareness

Post by White Lotus »

i find very little teaching on Vivid awareness, becoming 'very' awake, though this is a state i have at times experienced and have a friend who is in this state all the time. he says that he is just 'awake', as if everyone else were a sleep walker.

what is the teaching on vivid awareness, vivid alertness. has anyone on this site come across such a teaching. if so, could you say a little about it please.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
ground

Re: Vivid Awareness

Post by ground »

Hi Tom

If "Vivid Awareness" may be equalled with "presence" & "clarity" then what comes to my mind are the contexts of both Dzogchen (tibetan) and Satipatthàna (Theravada commentaries).

kind regards
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

White Lotus wrote:i find very little teaching on Vivid awareness, becoming 'very' awake, though this is a state i have at times experienced and have a friend who is in this state all the time. he says that he is just 'awake', as if everyone else were a sleep walker.

what is the teaching on vivid awareness, vivid alertness. has anyone on this site come across such a teaching. if so, could you say a little about it please.

best wishes, Tom.
When people experience the world they see the world as it is "the suchness" and at the same time their minds make judgements on what they see.

A very important goal in Buddhism is "quieting the mind". When this is accomplished you just see the suchness and there is greater "presence & clarity" because your mind is no longer distracted by the judgements.

That's why when you read the sutras they say things like
From "The Sutra of Innumerable Meanings":
... all laws were originally, will be, and are in themselves void in nature and form; They are Neither great nor small, Neither appearing nor disappearing, Neither fixed or movable, and neither advancing nor retreating; they are non dualistic, just emptiness. All living beings, however, discriminate falsely: "It is this" or "it is that", and "It is advantageous" or "It is disadvantageous" ...
They are describing the suchness.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Tmingyur and Kyosan, thank you for your feedback. best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”