How are you celebrating Buddha's birthday?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

How are you celebrating Buddha's birthday?

Postby mandala » Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 pm

In Australia, we're celebrating the culmination of Saka Dawa this Saturday, 25 March... It seems there are lots of different days this is held around the world (not sure why.. if anyone does, let me know).

Seeing as it's said to be particularly auspicious to be doing virtuous activities on this day, not to mention increasing generating merit x millions... I'm wondering what everyone had planned for this day?

Going to your local dharma centre or practice day at home or work? Any particular practices you're observing during this time? Braving a Nyung Na retreat?

At my nearest centre, they are having a "Prostratethon" which is also a fundraiser for the gompa. But i don't know, I think I'd prefer to have a mini-retreat at home.. haven't decided yet.

:smile:
mandala

Re: How are you celebrating Buddha's birthday?

Postby Parasamgate » Thu May 23, 2013 2:13 pm

At Kurukulla in Boston we are having a day long recitation of the Golden Light Sutra and a medicine Buddha puja.
Parasamgate

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Depending on the weather I reckon I might go for a swim! :smile: Oh, and completely destroy myself practicing.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Nilasarasvati » Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm

I hadn't given it much thought! thank you for prompting me to do so...I mean, I really ought to accumulate some serious merit...free a bunch of crickets or something.

:spy:
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby Kim O'Hara » Thu May 23, 2013 10:48 pm

mandala wrote:In Australia, we're celebrating the culmination of Saka Dawa this Saturday, 25 March... It seems there are lots of different days this is held around the world (not sure why.. if anyone does, let me know).

A centre near me chose to celebrate a week early. They don't have a resident ordained teacher and it happened that one of their semi-regular visiting teachers was in town so they took advantage of his presence. He didn't mind, btw, saying that 'Vesak' covers the whole month although 'Vesak Day' is specifically the full moon.
We had a lovely evening - chanting, dhamma talk, procession around the stupa, and then supper together.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Postby KeithBC » Sat May 25, 2013 1:07 am

Thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten it was Vesak.

I will be doing more unpacking and getting the new house set up. But I will try to do it mindfully. :namaste: I think I will some extra practice with my daily meditation.

mandala wrote:It seems there are lots of different days this is held around the world (not sure why.. if anyone does, let me know).
That is one of the charms of using a lunar calendar. The full moon is about 1:30 am on Saturday in my current time zone. In my old time zone, 4 hours farther west, it is at 9:30 pm Friday. So there are two different days for the observation right there. That is true for every full moon.

Since a year consists of about 12 and a half lunar months, some years have 12 lunar months and some have 13. The choice of which year to give 13 months is somewhat arbitrary, and the calendrical authorities in different cultures may choose different years to have 13 months. The result is that the observation of Vesak may be one month different depending on whose calendar you are using. Generally, it is the same everywhere, but every few years, you get Theravadins observing it in May and Tibetans observing it in June or vice versa.

To further complicate matters, westerners typically like their holidays to be on weekends. This is especially true of non-mainstream religious holidays, which are often work days unless people take a vacation day. So many western sanghas will observe Vesak on whatever weekend is conveniently close to the full moon.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby mandala » Sat May 25, 2013 11:58 am

Great to hear what everyone's up to! I hope your Vesak is full of exponential merit & blessings.

Thanks for the explanation, Keith.. I went outside earlier tonight and noticed a bright & lovely full moon, so that makes a bit more sense now.
I also noticed my neighbors have a rowdy birthday party kicking off in their backyard, so there's an extra challenge to my meditation plans for tonight!! *gritting teeth*

:tongue:
mandala

Postby lobster » Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Cake :pig:
lobster

Postby mandala » Sat May 25, 2013 12:24 pm

lobster wrote:Cake :pig:

OMG, why didn't i think of that! Buddha definitely needs cake.

:twothumbsup:
mandala

Postby kirtu » Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts, sadhanas, esp. for my recently deceased sister and other family members and friends, sutra reading - that cake is a pretty good idea!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby NIRMAL2 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Celebrations lasted for 3 days to give every Buddhist a chance to bathe the Buddha.Buddhist came by the tens of thousands
Attachments
2013-05-24 11.00.32.jpg
2013-05-24 11.00.32.jpg (228.77 KiB) Viewed 301 times
2013-05-24 11.09.25c.jpg
2013-05-24 11.09.25c.jpg (231.39 KiB) Viewed 299 times
NIRMAL2

Return to Personal Experience