Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Also not sure about what the image means to me yet which is why I posted about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Posts: 1465
Location: Europe
Hello bryanskrantz, Welcome.
My humble advice is: stay humble. :smile: And keep to the path.
Ayu

_________________
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
Hi bryan and welcome!

Buddhist practice is not really about having experiences. Even when specific experiences arise during meditation they are just recognised as signposts along the path rather than the destination of the journey.

I would recommend you find a group somewhere near you to practice with and/or speak with a teacher.
:namaste:

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Thank you for the advice. I wanted to post what was happening to me as far as my meditative practices were concerned so you guys get an idea of what stage I'm at.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5770
Hi Bryan,

I think you're at the stage where you're best advised to work under the direction of a capable master. It's time to get serious about getting serious about this.

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Good point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 952
Quote:
I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.


:hi:

The above does not really mean anything in Buddhism, even amongst snake farmers and charmers.
I would recommend a teacher too. Have you a tradition in mind? I wish you every success. :twothumbsup:

_________________
YinYana Buddhism


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Posts: 2106
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:namaste:

_________________
Image
www.TheDhamma.com/
Dhamma Wiki encyclopedia
Dhamma Wheel forum


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 952
Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

:twothumbsup:

_________________
YinYana Buddhism


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm
Posts: 43
bryanskrantz wrote:
I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.


His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
lobster wrote:
Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

:twothumbsup:



It's about an hr and 20 minute drive. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Parasamgate wrote:
bryanskrantz wrote:
I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.


His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.



How much are tickets?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 am
Posts: 428
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?
Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
gregkavarnos wrote:
The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.



I see. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 13
Location: North Jersey Passaic County
Nilasarasvati wrote:
Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.



Interesting thought. I will take that into consideration. Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 am
Posts: 9
bryanskrantz wrote:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.


You are WELCOME

:twothumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
bryanskrantz wrote:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.



Many hellos.

I've known a few non-Buddhists who have had vivid experiences like the one you've described with either Shakyamuni Buddha (a.k.a. Siddhartha Gautama) or Tara.
Best to seek a teacher, as many have mentioned.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group