One thousand armed Avalokiteshvara empowerment

dechenlhamo

One thousand armed Avalokiteshvara empowerment

Post by dechenlhamo »

I recently did a Nyungne retreat, and I was wondering if by receiving the Nyungne empowerment do I automatically receive the empowerment of one thousand armed Avalokitesvara and therefore I am able to do the sadhana? Or do I still have to receive another empowerment specifically for One thousand armed Avalokitesvara?

I mean is Nyungne empowerment the same as One thousand armed Avalokitesvara empowerment? or are they different? what would enable me to do the one thousand armed Chenrezig sadhana?
Konchog1

Re: One thousand armed Avalokiteshvara empowerment

Post by Konchog1 »

As far as I am aware, there is no Nyungne empowerment. Just the transmission of the eight precepts. So, yes. You need the empowerment from 1000 armed Avalokitesvara.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dechenlhamo wrote:I recently did a Nyungne retreat, and I was wondering if by receiving the Nyungne empowerment do I automatically receive the empowerment of one thousand armed Avalokitesvara and therefore I am able to do the sadhana? Or do I still have to receive another empowerment specifically for One thousand armed Avalokitesvara?

I mean is Nyungne empowerment the same as One thousand armed Avalokitesvara empowerment? or are they different? what would enable me to do the one thousand armed Chenrezig sadhana?
Check and see if the empowerment for 1000 Armed Avalokiteshvara was given as it often is. This may be what you thought the Nyungne empowerment was. If not, then if you have any HYT empowerment you are good to go. If not, then it depends and I'll need to check but basically any Chenrezig empowerment would be fine (again, I need to double check this).

Sometimes (maybe often), the 1000 Armed Avalokiteshvara empowerment isn't given because Nyungne is Kryia Tanta and you are doing front visualization according to the sadhana. However I have seen the empowerment given just prior to a Nyungne retreat.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

kirtu wrote:Sometimes (maybe often), the 1000 Armed Avalokiteshvara empowerment isn't given because Nyungne is Kryia Tanta and you are doing front visualization according to the sadhana. However I have seen the empowerment given just prior to a Nyungne retreat.
Ah, thats been my experience. If the empowerment is sometimes given, then you should ask someone from the retreat, dechen.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
dechenlhamo

Post by dechenlhamo »

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure if we received the 1000 arm Chenrezig empowerment or not, so I will have to ask. I am sure that after the retreat we received the 4 armed Chenrezig empowerment, but I will definitely need to ask then if this empowerment is enough.

Return to “Kagyu”