Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
bryanskrantz

Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Post by bryanskrantz »

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.
bryanskrantz

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Post by bryanskrantz »

Also not sure about what the image means to me yet which is why I posted about it.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hello bryanskrantz, Welcome.
My humble advice is: stay humble. :smile: And keep to the path.
Ayu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Hi bryan and welcome!

Buddhist practice is not really about having experiences. Even when specific experiences arise during meditation they are just recognised as signposts along the path rather than the destination of the journey.

I would recommend you find a group somewhere near you to practice with and/or speak with a teacher.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

Thank you for the advice. I wanted to post what was happening to me as far as my meditative practices were concerned so you guys get an idea of what stage I'm at.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Bryan,

I think you're at the stage where you're best advised to work under the direction of a capable master. It's time to get serious about getting serious about this.
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

Good point.
lobster

Post by lobster »

I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.
:hi:

The above does not really mean anything in Buddhism, even amongst snake farmers and charmers.
I would recommend a teacher too. Have you a tradition in mind? I wish you every success. :twothumbsup:
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:namaste:
lobster

Post by lobster »

Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

:twothumbsup:
Parasamgate

Post by Parasamgate »

bryanskrantz wrote:I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

lobster wrote:Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

It's about an hr and 20 minute drive. :(
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

Parasamgate wrote:
bryanskrantz wrote:I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.

How much are tickets?
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

gregkavarnos wrote:The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.

I see. Thank you.
bryanskrantz

Post by bryanskrantz »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.

Interesting thought. I will take that into consideration. Thank you
mohitsharma

Post by mohitsharma »

bryanskrantz wrote:Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.
You are WELCOME

M.G.

Post by M.G. »

bryanskrantz wrote:Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.

Many hellos.

I've known a few non-Buddhists who have had vivid experiences like the one you've described with either Shakyamuni Buddha (a.k.a. Siddhartha Gautama) or Tara.
Best to seek a teacher, as many have mentioned.

Return to “Introductions”