Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 am

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am

Also not sure about what the image means to me yet which is why I posted about it.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Ayu » Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 am

Hello bryanskrantz, Welcome.
My humble advice is: stay humble. :smile: And keep to the path.
Ayu
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
User avatar
Ayu
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 am

Hi bryan and welcome!

Buddhist practice is not really about having experiences. Even when specific experiences arise during meditation they are just recognised as signposts along the path rather than the destination of the journey.

I would recommend you find a group somewhere near you to practice with and/or speak with a teacher.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9514
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you for the advice. I wanted to post what was happening to me as far as my meditative practices were concerned so you guys get an idea of what stage I'm at.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Jikan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Bryan,

I think you're at the stage where you're best advised to work under the direction of a capable master. It's time to get serious about getting serious about this.
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Good point.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby lobster » Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.


:hi:

The above does not really mean anything in Buddhism, even amongst snake farmers and charmers.
I would recommend a teacher too. Have you a tradition in mind? I wish you every success. :twothumbsup:
User avatar
lobster
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm

I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:namaste:
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby lobster » Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am

Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

:twothumbsup:
User avatar
lobster
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Parasamgate » Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 pm

bryanskrantz wrote:I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.


His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.
Parasamgate
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm

lobster wrote:Can you drive here?
http://www.olnagazur.org/

Dalai Lama . . . yes I heard of him
He is an emanation of Chenrezig . . . that might be a start . . .
http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteachin ... dhana.html

:twothumbsup:



It's about an hr and 20 minute drive. :(
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Parasamgate wrote:
bryanskrantz wrote:I've been drawn to the Dalai Lama for quite a while but I'm not sure if there's any of his traditions in the pasaic county NJ are that I can drive to.


His Holiness the Dalai Lama will be in New York in October for a two and a half day teaching. It might be very beneficial for you to take this opportunity to go and see him and hear his teaching in person.



How much are tickets?
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Nilasarasvati » Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am

Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.
User avatar
Nilasarasvati
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 am
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 am

The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9514
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:The only way to find a decent teacher is to accumulate merit and rid yourself of demerit.

Two practices that will help you are water bowl offerings and the 35 Confession Buddhas. Neither of these require empowerments etc... Both of them are incredibly effective.

Accumulate merit, purify demerit and a teacher will appear. 100% guaranteed.



I see. Thank you.
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby bryanskrantz » Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Nilasarasvati wrote:Don't worry too much about seeing H.H. The Dalai Lama. If you could even catch a glimpse of him it would be worth any amount of sacrifice, but it seems like you're looking for something more immediate.

NJ has plenty of Lamas I'm sure. Look around.

More importantly, start praying that the Lama finds you--our efforts to find a teacher are usually seem pretty hopeless. I looked high and low and went all the way to China trying to find one, and then realized when I was brokenhearted and returned to the US that I had already encountered him 3 years before and didn't have the sense to recognize him.

HAve you read anything helpful? Are you open to suggestions?? Studying/hearing the dharma is the most important first step. Many people on this board can point you to some REALLY good teachers who speak great English and have great recorded teachings online.



Interesting thought. I will take that into consideration. Thank you
bryanskrantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: North Jersey Passaic County

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby mohitsharma » Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 am

bryanskrantz wrote:Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.


You are WELCOME

:twothumbsup:
mohitsharma
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Not sure where to begin but hey here's my intro

Postby M.G. » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:19 pm

bryanskrantz wrote:Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am not a follower of buddhism but I do follow the path in my own way. I feel drawn to siddartha himself. I have practiced meditation for a few years now and have been seeing a visualization of the buddha himself in my minds eye. sitting on his jeweled throne pointing at me. I have experience with shatipat meditation and have felt the fire rise once.



Many hellos.

I've known a few non-Buddhists who have had vivid experiences like the one you've described with either Shakyamuni Buddha (a.k.a. Siddhartha Gautama) or Tara.
Best to seek a teacher, as many have mentioned.
M.G.
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: babage, Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests

>