March Against Monsanto

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Roland

March Against Monsanto

Postby Roland » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Last edited by Roland on Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Roland

Re: March Against Monsanto

Postby Roland » Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Roland

Postby Roland » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

- Persian proverb

greentara

Postby greentara » Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 am

It's chilling when you read how much power Monsanto has. World governments seem to be too weak to counter the rapacious buying up of all seeds. The trouble is most political parties only look forward to the next cycle of elections. They seem to have no long term plan, no real vision for the future of protecting people or the planet.

Roland

Postby Roland » Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 am

It is creepy that a former vice president of Monsanto was appointed to the position of senior adviser of the FDA who also had worked for the FDA in different positions since working for Monsanto. Allegedly, the same person who, as the Food Safety Czar, allowed GMOs into the US without testing the safety of them.

On a positive note, many countries, counties and states have banned GMOs, so some progress has and is being made.
- Persian proverb

Roland

Postby Roland » Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm

- Persian proverb

mandala

Postby mandala » Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm

This is such a vital concern to the world's food supply and I'm constantly amazed at how it even got this far (ok, of course it's all about the mighty dollar).

I'll be at the March against Monsanto rally in my town - but more than marching against what we DON'T want, I hope plenty of others will also take the opportunity to use the platform FOR mandatory GMO labelling.

And bringing the fight to my own backyard first, I grow all organic, Heirloom varieties of herbs & veg... Monsanto aren't getting into my little patch of dirt, HELLS NO!

Roland

Postby Roland » Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 pm

I hope that it does not get violent.

I hope that the movement becomes exponentially larger but stays peaceful.

Update: The petition recently surpassed 2 million signatures and is still growing.
- Persian proverb

mandala

Postby mandala » Sat May 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Coming up soon! For event listing worldwide, check out:

I don't expect any violence at the Australian rallies, they're billed as family-friendly affairs.. looking forward to a nice day out!

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 am

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 am

Roland

Postby Roland » Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Last edited by Roland on Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Persian proverb

Roland

Postby Roland » Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm

- Persian proverb

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Roland

Postby Roland » Mon May 20, 2013 6:54 pm

- Persian proverb

mandala

Postby mandala » Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm

greentara

Postby greentara » Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm

I think it was Gandhi who said "How is it then that I have become so evil and destestable?" This is the story of Monsanto and other huge corporations that dot the planet and exploit ordinary people with scant attention to their welfare and needs.

Roland

Postby Roland » Wed May 22, 2013 4:36 pm

- Persian proverb

greentara

Postby greentara » Thu May 23, 2013 5:33 am

Eating genetically modified corn (GMO corn) has caused rats to develop horrifying tumors, widespread organ damage, and premature death. That's the conclusion of a shocking new study that looked at the long-term effects of consuming Monsanto's genetically modified corn. The study was published in The Food & Chemical Toxicology Journal and was just presented at a news conference in London.

The study has been deemed "the most thorough research ever published into the health effects of GMO food crops and the herbicide Roundup on rats." News of the horrifying findings is spreading fast, with even the mainstream media in shock over the photos of rats with multiple grotesque tumors; tumors so large the rats even had difficulty breathing in some cases. GMOs may be the new thalidomide.

"Monsanto Roundup weedkiller and GMO maize implicated in 'shocking' new cancer study" wrote The Grocery, a popular UK publication.
It reported, "Scientists found that rats exposed to even the smallest amounts, developed mammary tumors and severe liver and kidney damage as early as four months in males, and seven months for females."

The Daily Mail reported, "Fresh row over GMO foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumors."

The Study
The study, led by Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen, was the first ever study to examine the long-term (lifetime) effects of eating GMOs.
You may find yourself thinking it is absolutely astonishing that no such studies were ever conducted before GMO corn was approved for widespread use by the USDA and FDA, but such is the power of corporate lobbying and corporate greed.

Dan74
Founding Member

Postby Dan74 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:10 pm

I am sorry, folks, I appreciate the good intentions and in many ways I share them, but I confess to being dismayed by the blurred lines between fact and fiction that seem to be acceptable here.

I mean if we truly are to battle the unscrupulous mega-corporations, do we make up our lies to counter their lies, or do we rely on integrity and fact? The Seralini study on the effect of GM maise has been rejected by six French national academies and repudiated by the journal that had originally accepted it. He based it on 10 rats of the species that are anyway prone to cancer. There were many other irregularities. This is common knowledge.

The Wakefield study has been exposed as fraud.

Of course there are folks who are emotionally invested in believing certain things who will not listen even if Seralini and Wakefield tell them personally that they don't believe their conclusions, but will rationalise it somehow as the global pharma ploy to brainwash them somehow. But for the open-minded folks, I suggest you listen to people like Raj Patel, whose Stuffed and Starved provides not only plenty of ammunition against Monsanto & Co but also points to the way forward.

It's not laced with simple-minded emotive slogans or sensational fictions, but takes a bit of work to absorb and digest, but it's worth it.

That said, I am glad the marches are happening and will try to attend one with the family!

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”