Maps of the Profound?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
LionelChen

Maps of the Profound?

Post by LionelChen »

I was just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to either purchase or peruse a copy and might be willing to offer a short review.

I'm rather interested in Tibetan Buddhism's reflexive understanding of other Indian philosophical schools and each others, but i'm unsure as to how or where to approach the subject matter.

Hopkin's Maps of the Profound seems like something right up my alley, if a bit from the Gelug perspective.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Maps of the Profound?

Post by Wayfarer »

I happened across that book in very good condition at a second-hand bookstore last year, and read some sections of it. But I decided it is a very advanced book - also extremely long - and not the kind of book one can really study profitably alone, unless you're a very advanced scholar. So I donated my copy to the Buddhist Library in Sydney.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Greg

Post by Greg »

LionelChen wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to either purchase or peruse a copy and might be willing to offer a short review.

I'm rather interested in Tibetan Buddhism's reflexive understanding of other Indian philosophical schools and each others, but i'm unsure as to how or where to approach the subject matter.

Hopkin's Maps of the Profound seems like something right up my alley, if a bit from the Gelug perspective.
Library Genesis has it, in the event that you want to peruse a copy before you purchase.
goodie

Post by goodie »

I have it. This book describes various non-Buddhist and Buddhist tenets. If you like this topic and you want a lot of details, then this book is for you. If you are not sure or don't know much about tenets yet, then it might be better to start with something simpler. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Through-A ... 0937938815
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

Je Tsongkhapa had teachers from many different lineages. He made a lot of effort to compile the teachings clearly and comprehensively. Gelukpas have put a lot of effort into keeping things in order.

The difference between schools is over exaggerated. If you look at the lineage lines of transmissions they go through a lot of the same people. And then practically, you look at the lineage holders and they've received teachings from people from different schools. If there was some big conflict in the instructions they wouldn't be able to do that.
goodie

Post by goodie »

Ramon1920 wrote:Je Tsongkhapa had teachers from many different lineages. He made a lot of effort to compile the teachings clearly and comprehensively. Gelukpas have put a lot of effort into keeping things in order.

The difference between schools is over exaggerated. If you look at the lineage lines of transmissions they go through a lot of the same people. And then practically, you look at the lineage holders and they've received teachings from people from different schools. If there was some big conflict in the instructions they wouldn't be able to do that.
Yes, but the book is describing Indian Buddhist tenets (Vaibhasika, Sautrantika, Chittamatra and Madhyamika), not Tibetan schools (Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya, Gelug).

Return to “Academic Discussion”