YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Up to Sixty - Non Buddhist Quotes (formerly fifty) - Dhamma Wheel

Up to Sixty - Non Buddhist Quotes (formerly fifty)

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Digger

Up to Sixty - Non Buddhist Quotes (formerly fifty)

Postby Digger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 pm

For those who might enjoy quotations that support Buddhist thinking though the authors are not Buddhists:

1 - Tempus edax rerum (Translation: Time, the devourer of all things. Variant: Time is the devourer of all things.) Publius Ovidius Naso

2 -The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend. - Henri L. Bergson

3 - Whatever can happen to anyone can happen to me. ~ Muriel Rukeyser

4 - He who is not contented with what he has, will not be contented with what he doesn't have. ~ Socrates

5 - Often we seek to grow or change ourselves by adjusting the external aspects of our lives. ... We all too often forget that permanent or real change only comes when the center of our being, our inner drives and motivations, undergoes transformation. - Errol Strider

6 - Silence is a true friend who never betrays. Confucius

7 - Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes...just be an illusion. - Javan

8 - Real, constructive mental power lies in the creative thought that shapes your destiny, and your hour-by-hour mental conduct produces power for change in your life. Develop a train of thought on which to ride. The nobility of your life as well as your happiness depends upon the direction in which that train of thought is going. - Laurence J. Peter

9 - Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it. - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

10 - Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. Einstein

11 through 20 below...
Last edited by Digger on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
He is different. He thinks.

chownah

Re: Ten Non Buddhist Quotes

Postby chownah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 pm

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Among the all quotes, this is I like most.

----------------
He who is not contented with what he has, will not be contented with what he doesn't have. ~ Socrates
----------------

He can see something beyond surface.

I dont have iPad 2. I want it and I will be very content if I have it.

I have iPad 1, and I really not content.

But, after I have this iPad 2, which I don't have now, I am sure I will not content AGAIN when Apple announce iPad 3.

Now I realize why Socrates said "..., (he) WILL not be contented with what he doesn't have."

Thanks to you for posting this quote full of insight.

Thank you Socrates.

I will remember your quote forever.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Kare

Postby Kare » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Mettāya,
Kåre

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 pm

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 pm

"3 - Whatever can happen to anyone can happen to me. ~ Muriel Rukeyser"

Giving birth?

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks Digger...love 'em...to me they're real tools to work on this thing we call life...

zavk

Postby zavk » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 am

With metta,
zavk

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:15 am

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

:mrgreen:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Digger

Ten More Non Buddhist Quotes

Postby Digger » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 am

Ten more for those who might enjoy quotations that support Buddhist thinking though the authors are not Buddhists:

11 - I would not think that philosophy and reason themselves will be man's guide in the foreseeable future; however, they will remain the most beautiful sanctuary they have always been for the select few. Albert Einstein

12 - Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun's rays do not burn until brought to a focus. Alexander Graham Bell

13 - Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. Lao Tzu

14 - We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy, and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all. Dorothy Day

15 - Set peace of mind as your highest goal and organize your entire life around it. Brian Tracy

16 - The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things. Epictetus

17 - If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear? Confucus

18 - Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. John Lancaster Spalding

19 - Old age is the most unexpected of all the things that can happen to a man. James Thurber

20 - The perfection of wisdom, and the end of true philosophy is to proportion our wants to our possessions, our ambitions to our capacities, we will then be a happy and a virtuous people. Mark Twain

More to come....
Last edited by Digger on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

appicchato

Re: Ten More Non Buddhist Quotes

Postby appicchato » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 am

Digger

Re: Twenty Non Buddhist Quotes

Postby Digger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:13 pm

21 - The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. Richard P. Feynman

22 - The more tranquil a man becomes, the greater is his success, his influence, his power for good. Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. James Allen

23 - The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. Heraclitus

24 - The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy. Florence Shinn

25 - The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained to liberation from the self. Einstein

26 - The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. John Milton

27 - Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer

28 - Silence fertilizes the deep place where personality grows. A life with a peaceful center can weather all storms. Norman Vincent Peale

29 - One cannot step twice in the same river. Heraclitus

30 - He who does not think that what he has is more than sufficient, is an unhappy man, even if he is the master of the whole world. Epicurus

More will be added soon....

chownah

Re: Thirty Non Buddhist Quotes (formerly twenty)

Postby chownah » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Thomas Jefferson

chownah

Thales

Postby Thales » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 am

1. Man without virtue is the worst of all animals. -Plato

2. Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.

3. Violence Does in Truth Recoil Upon the Violent
AND THE SCHEMER FALLS INTO THE PIT WHICH HE DIGS FOR ANOTHER. -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

4. Be kind. Remember everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
-"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

5. “As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.” -Henry David Thoreau

6. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” -Albert Camus

7. “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.” -Oscar Wilde

8. "A single gentle rain makes the grass many shades greener. So our prospects brighten on the influx of better thoughts. We should be blessed if we lived in the present always, and took advantage of every accident that befell us.” -Henry David Thoreau

9. "Hold, unhappy man, be not swept along with your impressions! Great is the struggle, divine the task; the prize is a kingdom, freedom, serenity, peace." -Epictetus

10. "You will learn by experience that what philosophers say is true, though it may be contrary to opinion, it is assuredly not contrary to Reason. You will also learn that none of these things that are commonly adored and sought after (wealth, fame, etc) are of any good to those who attain them. Before one has attained them, there is the impression that when they come one will be possessed of all things good. Then, when they do come, the burning heat is just as bad, there is the same tossing of the sea, the same sense of surfeit, the same desire for what one does not have. For satisfying yourself, however briefly, with your desire only strengthens its hold over you. It is only by destroying your desire that freedom is acquired." -Epictetus iirc

11. "For calm, for peace of mind, for sleeping when you are asleep, and being awake when you are awake, for fearing nothing, for being in great anxiety about nothing, you must accept no small troubles and must not miss small things. You cannot be unwilling to give up anything or make exertion. You cannot be continually giving attention to both externals and your governing principle. If you want one, let the other one go or you will be drawn in both directions and have neither." -Epictetus
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5

befriend

Postby befriend » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 am

in my benjamin franklin biography i think its someone talking about franklins virtue. and he says, when the british dont just like you but respect you for your virtue, they will admire americans, when americans see virtue in british they will respect the british, likewise and so on for all the countries in the world." i never thought of that, i thought that was cool. imagine if sadaam respected the iranians isntead of saying there women are like dogs. cool thought.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:01 am

"5. “As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.” -Henry David Thoreau"

Is he teaching how to get in a rut?
chownah

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am

Digger

Re: #31 thru #40 Non Buddhist Quotes

Postby Digger » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Here are my number 31 to 40 quotes from non Buddhists that support Buddhist thinking:

31 - Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do. Bruce Lee

32 - The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. John Milton

33 - The discovery of what is true and the practice of that which is good are the two most important objects of philosophy. Voltaire

34 - The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Mahatma Gandhi

35 - When I do good, I feel good ;when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. Abraham Lincoln

36 - A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. Henry David Thoreau

37 - The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more people than all the wars in history. Carl Rowen

38 - A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings. Einstein

39 - The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn. Gloria Steinem

40 - One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes ... and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility. Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Lounge”