Diamond Way Buddhist Center

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mikeliegler

Diamond Way Buddhist Center

Post by Mikeliegler »

Does anyone have any experience with the Diamond Way Buddhist Center? I want to learn Tibetan Buddhist meditation and they are the only lineage of Tibetan Buddhist in my area that I can physically go to for teachings. I want to follow in the Bon lineage of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and know the lineage of the Diamond Way's not Bon. Will I get the proper teachings for meditation from the Diamond Way?

:shrug:
lobster

Re: Diamond Way Buddhist Center

Post by lobster »

The ass you sit on is the one you bring with you and the one that leaves.

I have a Diamond Way group near me. Never been but sitting is taught very well at every centre, Buddhist cult, Micky Mouse Sangha and genuine center I have been to. They will do you fine.

I wish you every success :twothumbsup:
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

Thank you kindly. I'm new and not taught in the Asian ways yet and I'm very new to Buddhism; I do want to start off on the right foot and I'm very thankful for this form and the people here, I'm learning. I'm reading many books and doing lots of research but nothing can compair to those actually following Buddha already. So please forgive me if I offend anyone.

:namaste:
lobster

Post by lobster »

So please forgive me if I offend anyone.
:consoling:
Everything is fine. Learn to sit where you can. Observe, study. Sit. Practice. You will be as offensive/patronising as me in no time . . . :woohoo:

Never be offended. Everybody means well :)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Mikeliegler wrote: Will I get the proper teachings for meditation from the Diamond Way?
Hi Mike,

Here's a long and elaborate thread on Diamond Way and Nydahl.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4190

You'll get very different answers to your question depending on who you ask.

:namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Topic split:

please continue discussion on the merits or demerits of practicing Buddhism & Bon simultaneously here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12790

this is a thread about Diamond Way centers. thanks.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I'm bumping this old thread because I have a particular question about Diamond Way. How is the organization organized these days? That is, how is it structured generally speaking in terms of administration and, for lack of a better word, business practices? Particularly with regard to its North American practice groups relative to the global organization... are there people besides Mr Nydahl in positions of responsibility?

thank you for any information you can offer. PMs are welcome on this.

n.b.: I don't mean to pry and I'm not trying to judge anyone, I'm simply in need of information.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

I knew someone who did go to a Diamond Way centre in Texas years ago. I'm not sure how it's structured, but I would be surprised if the founder managed everything, as they have dozens of centres. She said she didn't quite like the atmosphere there, and discontinued going.

As for my own experiences, about six years ago I actually didn't know about the Karmapa controversy at the time, and I joined a Facebook group about Vajrayana Buddhism which I eventually found out was Diamond Way. It seemed fine, until I eventually found out about the Karmapa controversy and asked about it publicly in one of their forums, and without notice I was booted from the group. I asked why and the manager of the group said I mentioned the name of the "other" Karmapa, whereas they were followers of Lama Ole and his Karmapa. I looked up the issue and found Lama Ole's comment on the controversy was that every teacher should be judged by the merit of their own teachings, and it wouldn't matter if there were two Karmapas (as a matter of fact, I found some of his lectures to be quite useful). So I quoted Lama Ole's comment to her and asked her if she agreed, she said that I was being extremely rude and blocked me (I really don't think I was being rude, I was just trying to reconcile). So, if you do go to a centre, it might be pretty good, but just be careful what you say because they may be a bit touchy about some things (though I may be being rude in suggesting that).

As for the make up of the centres, as far as I know they're pretty much all westerners, but they'll have some Tibetan lamas come from time to time to give lectures. At the Thrangu Centre I occasionally attend (which is said to be pretty conservative), it's kind of the opposite to Diamond Way (which is really like a westernised Buddhism), since it's probably 80% Chinese and Tibetans, and 20% westerners -- the catch is that the westerners all wear Tibetan clothing too! :applause:

But as far as the individual centres go, I'd evaluate each for it's own merits. There's great gems everywhere, and Lama Ole is pretty much right in saying that teachers need to each be evaluated for their own merits, not brushed aside or generalised as good or bad. So, might as well go for it - if there were one near me I might even go to have a look too.
:anjali:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Zhen Li wrote:But as far as the individual centres go, I'd evaluate each for it's own merits. There's great gems everywhere, and Lama Ole is pretty much right in saying that teachers need to each be evaluated for their own merits, not brushed aside or generalised as good or bad. So, might as well go for it - if there were one near me I might even go to have a look too.

I'm bumping this old thread again to follow up on a conversation I was having offline. Question: Has Nydahl trained any leaders or teachers to run his many dozens of centers worldwide? Or is he the only recognized teacher in his whole org?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Jikan wrote:
Zhen Li wrote:But as far as the individual centres go, I'd evaluate each for it's own merits. There's great gems everywhere, and Lama Ole is pretty much right in saying that teachers need to each be evaluated for their own merits, not brushed aside or generalised as good or bad. So, might as well go for it - if there were one near me I might even go to have a look too.

I'm bumping this old thread again to follow up on a conversation I was having offline. Question: Has Nydahl trained any leaders or teachers to run his many dozens of centers worldwide? Or is he the only recognized teacher in his whole org?
If you mean something like a Vipassana type setting, where they watch the Guru's lectures on video, it's possible, but I know that the members at least manage things like question and answer sessions, meditation instructions, etc. To what extent Lama Ole had a role in training them, I don't know.
honestdboy

Post by honestdboy »

There are many traveling teachers, but Lama Ole doesn't give them fancy titles like Shambhala does. Tibetan teachers also teach at the bigger centers. :namaste:
Greta

Post by Greta »

I tried to find answers for my questions, but I couldn´t find it for all of them, so I put the rest under this topic (didn´t find suitable one).

I recently did read Ole Nydahl´s books The Way Things Are and The Great Seal (I´m not sure if that´s the name in English).
I also contact to the nearest DW meditation group (not center available), to see what it is about, but it´s just too far away. And email contact wasn´t so informative. So back here…

To me it feels interesting to read contemporary and westernized Buddhist teachings. Even I am interested about Tibetan culture, and I find religious symbolism very interesting, it just feels very distant to me, who live in North Europe. And straightness appeals to me. Even I´m not thinking like he about all things, and I´m not sure if I want my teacher act and talk like that.

It would be great, if some would answer to these questions (new can pop to my mind later). It seems that Lama (I did read topics about if he is or isn´t) is in very important place in this system. But if some would become DW Buddhist, and would see his/her lama once in lifetime, or even worse, not ever, how would everything work?
I´m not sure if I want/ can ever be member of any religious group, so how long can you hang around, before you have to become a member (or leave). I don´t mean that I don´t want to work or pay for the general good. But I don´t like if people try to push me into things what I don´t want or I am not ready for.
I read, that if you become follower of this tradition, you shouldn´t mix it with things from other religions/ things related to spiritual living. I kind of understand that, but maybe because of theosophist background mixing things haven´t been forbidden (useless, confusing maybe…). So no hatha yoga, acupuncture, things related to Taoism? How strict this advice (or demand?) is and what all does it mean?

Thanks, if some would answer, and/or share experience practising happily Diamond Way (I already did read not so happily experiences).
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Greta wrote:It seems that Lama (I did read topics about if he is or isn´t) is in very important place in this system. But if some would become DW Buddhist, and would see his/her lama once in lifetime, or even worse, not ever, how would everything work?
You should at least see the Lama once. Otherwise you can practise the methods of Sutra, but no Vajrayana-Methods.
And on the occasion you meet the Lama, he (or she) should bestow the neccesary transmissions to you. Of course it is also good if you can have contact after the transmission. Remember that in the past, people had to travel far and under dangerous circumstances to meet their teachers. Think for example of the hardships Marpa underwent.
I´m not sure if I want/ can ever be member of any religious group, so how long can you hang around, before you have to become a member (or leave). I don´t mean that I don´t want to work or pay for the general good. But I don´t like if people try to push me into things what I don´t want or I am not ready for.
I read, that if you become follower of this tradition, you shouldn´t mix it with things from other religions/ things related to spiritual living. I kind of understand that, but maybe because of theosophist background mixing things haven´t been forbidden (useless, confusing maybe…). So no hatha yoga, acupuncture, things related to Taoism? How strict this advice (or demand?) is and what all does it mean?
This I cannot answer you, because I am not a member of the Diamondway-Buddism-Organisation. But I know some of Lama Ole's students. They have their own way, which is good if you enjoy their style. If you don't enjoy the style, it would be better to search for a teacher that is fitting. Generally, I'd recommend being very cautios about who you follow as a Vajrayana-Lama.

Best wishes
Karma Yeshe
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Mikeliegler wrote:I want to follow in the Bon lineage of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and know the lineage of the Diamond Way's not Bon. Will I get the proper teachings for meditation from the Diamond Way?
Well, I doubt you will get any instructions on Dzogchen meditation, which is an important part of TWR's teachings and Bon in general.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tomamundsen wrote:
Mikeliegler wrote:I want to follow in the Bon lineage of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and know the lineage of the Diamond Way's not Bon. Will I get the proper teachings for meditation from the Diamond Way?
Well, I doubt you will get any instructions on Dzogchen meditation, which is an important part of TWR's teachings and Bon in general.
Actually you'll just get standard Karma Kagyu teachings (though the practices are translated into English).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”