Mahamudra and tantra

lama tsewang

Re: Mahamudra and tantra

Post by lama tsewang »

somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang
heart

Post by heart »

lama tsewang wrote:somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang
Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

heart wrote:
lama tsewang wrote:somewhere , in one of his transcripts Trungpa joked that his friends made funof him because , mahamudra being part of anuttara tantra is lower than the three highest yanas of the nine yanas . somewhere, also in Crystal Mirror , I believe, I saw a reference that placed Anuttara of the Sarma Tantra just below Maha Anu and Ati yoga.
tsewang
Sarma and Nyingma are not parts of the same system so that seems strange to me.

/magnus
This quote by Berzin has bearing on this issue (http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... gchen.html):
Whether on the gross, subtle, or subtlest clear light level, the nature of mental activity remains the same. Mahamudra (phyag-chen, great seal) practice, found in the Kagyu, Sakya, and Gelug/Kagyu traditions, focuses on this nature. The Kagyu and Gelug/Kagyu traditions have both sutra and anuttarayoga tantra levels of the practice, while Sakya only an anuttarayoga one. In other words, Sakya mahamudra focuses only on the nature of clear light mental activity, while the other two traditions include focus on the nature of the other levels of mental activity as well.

Rigpa shares the same nature as the three levels of mental activity analyzed by the non-dzogchen schools. Dzogchen practice, however, is exclusively done on the highest level of tantra and deals only with the subtlest level of mental activity. Moreover, dzogchen does not focus merely on the conventional and deepest natures of rigpa, but also on its various aspects and facets.
heart

Post by heart »

muni wrote:The high and the low and all clasifications are the domain of clasifying comparing mind while nature has no any comparisions.
Of course.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
whitedragon

Post by whitedragon »

Realization of Mahamudra is one of the fruition stages of advanced tantric practices. This subject is so very vast with numerous schools and traditions.

Return to “Mahamudra”