reciting in tibetan

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
lama tsewang

reciting in tibetan

Post by lama tsewang »

What is the importance of reciting prayers in Tibetan?
Most of the Mahayana Dharma was written first in Sanskrit, but Tibetan
writing was invented for the purposes of translating Buddhism. While
Tibetan has a very close affinity to Sanskrit, Tibetan also originated
out of the compassionate wishes bodhisattvas have for sentient beings.
If one recites prayers in Tibetan, they have great blessings. Another
reason to recite in Tibetan in the context of the Kagyu Monlam is that
it is easiest if we all recite in the same language.

The above is a quote from the North America Kagyu Monlam website. What do others here , think of this statement ,
Do you agree with this , or do you think its better that we recite in English
Tsewang
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: reciting in tibetan

Post by Grigoris »

I think that ultimately it is unimportant what language you recite in, what is of importance (for me) is that you understand what you are reciting.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I like doing both, mainly because so far I have not seen a way of melodicizing (is that a word lol) the english versions, and for me concentration is easier with sound directed into melodic form, rather than just recited.

Seems like there should be room for both English and Tibetan, as long as the meaning can be there..regarding the statement though..does that mean that prayers don't carry the same blessing when recited in English, or that they carry less somehow?

I'd point out, most sadhanas i've seen are a combo of english, tibetan and sanskrit, presumably ones made for the western world anyway, obviously.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
emaho

Post by emaho »

I personally like reciting the texts in Tibetan, and I agree it is the language of choice at Monlams.

However I see this rather as a historic phase than a religious necessity. And I don't agree with many of the reasons given by some Tibetan lamas. Some seem to believe that Tibetan is somehow holier than other languages, or more refined, which honestly I believe is a bit of cultural chauvinism.

And this
While Tibetan has a very close affinity to Sanskrit
is just simply not true. The Tibetan alphabet is based on the Indian Brahmi script, true, but the Tibetan language itself belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family, while Sanskrit belongs to the Indo-Aryan language family, which is itself a subset of the Indo-European languages. In fact, from a linguistic point of view, Greek and German are much closer related to Sanskrit than Tibetan. Especially Ancient Greek and Sanskrit have extremely similar grammars. :thumbsup:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
lama tsewang

Post by lama tsewang »

in my opinion the quotation i took off the website, is a very very serious wrong view
heart

Post by heart »

gregkavarnos wrote:I think that ultimately it is unimportant what language you recite in, what is of importance (for me) is that you understand what you are reciting.
I agree, well said!

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

lama tsewang wrote:in my opinion the quotation i took off the website, is a very very serious wrong view
I agree that it is a wrong view. Dharma was in the beginning an oral tradition. It was spoken. It was transmitted as an oral tradition. Buddha and his disciples taught in something like 16 or more states of ancient India. They expressed the Dharma in many different languages and regional dialects. The written teachings appeared later, gradually, in the course of hundreds of years. They appeared in different languages. The chinese monk and translator Hsuan Tsang
(602 - 664) says that there were in India four Canons of the different schools of Sravakayana, each containing 300 000 verses, plus the Canon of the Mahayana. Sutras and commentaries have gone through a long way of progress, before appearing in a written form in a particular language.
I agree that each language is a world in itself. Different meanings and different habitual tendencies exist in the language itself. You have access to a unique mental world through a language.
Dharma is something to be understood individually. Language has no substantial existence. Language substantialism is a wrong view that is attacked and refuted in the Lankavatara sutra.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

gregkavarnos wrote:I think that ultimately it is unimportant what language you recite in, what is of importance (for me) is that you understand what you are reciting.
I agree that it is of fundamental importance that you understand what you are doing. However, for chanting I think Tibetan is superior because of the meter that texts are written in.
Whenever I would hear the Vajradhatu chanting in (non-metered) English with the same monotone as one would chant Tibetan it would send me into fits of giggles that would sometimes take me hours to recover from. This is not particularly conducive to samadhi.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:I personally like reciting the texts in Tibetan, and I agree it is the language of choice at Monlams.

However I see this rather as a historic phase than a religious necessity. And I don't agree with many of the reasons given by some Tibetan lamas. Some seem to believe that Tibetan is somehow holier than other languages, or more refined, which honestly I believe is a bit of cultural chauvinism.

And this
While Tibetan has a very close affinity to Sanskrit
is just simply not true. The Tibetan alphabet is based on the Indian Brahmi script, true, but the Tibetan language itself belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family, while Sanskrit belongs to the Indo-Aryan language family, which is itself a subset of the Indo-European languages. In fact, from a linguistic point of view, Greek and German are much closer related to Sanskrit than Tibetan. Especially Ancient Greek and Sanskrit have extremely similar grammars. :thumbsup:
But written/classical Tibetan is based on Sanskrit grammar. It's not a perfect carbon copy, but it does attempt to follow the vibakti system. So while your statement is true in regards to colloquial Tibetan, it's not necessarily so in regards to written Tibetan.
emaho

Post by emaho »

yegyal wrote:But written/classical Tibetan is based on Sanskrit grammar. It's not a perfect carbon copy, but it does attempt to follow the vibakti system. So while your statement is true in regards to colloquial Tibetan, it's not necessarily so in regards to written Tibetan.
Really? Afaik classical Tibetan belongs to the sino-sibetan language family just as much as colloquial Tibetan. :shrug:

I'm certainly not an expert on Sanskrit or classical Tibetan, but afaik the Tibetan translations of Sanskrit texts try to imitate the syntactical structure as far as possible, but still classical Tibetan is a particle based grammar, whereas Sanskrit grammar is based on declination and conjugation.

Some grammar books speak of cases in Tibetan grammar, but actually that is an outdated concept that was some attempt to impose the structure of Indo-European languages on Tibetan grammar which made it completely impossible to understand how Tibetan grammar works. At least that's what my teachers told me at my local University when I attended some classes in classical Tibetan as a guest student. There are no cases like nominative, genitive, dative, accusative in Tibetan grammar - neither colloquial nor classic. There are particles like the la don, the drel dra and so on.

But Sanskrit on the other hand has all these cases and times European languages use to have, they even have the aorist, the optative, the dualis, the medium like in Ancient Greek - and some more that even Ancient Greek doesn't have. So if you directly translate from Sanskrit to European languages no brushing the grammar up the wrong way is needed...
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Tibetan grammar isn't really based on Sanskrit grammar, though there are a few similarities. They are, indeed, from different language families.

Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche expressly stressed learning and practicing in Tibetan, especially for the practices done in retreat. However he also had English practice sessions instituted at his centers, I believe. All of this was skillful means--many of our best translators were his disciples.

Most of the practices we recite were written in Tibetan, by Tibetans, though there are portions of sadhanas and prayers that were translated from Indian languages. When sadhanas are composed in English, by masters who speak English, or any other language, it will be wonderful.

At the Kagyu Monlams I've attended, there are sections of Sanskrit chanting every morning--quite beautiful! There' s also at least one prayer recitation in English, and in Chinese as well.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Just to clarify my previous post a bit further...

Original poster writes that much of the Mahayana Dharma was written in Sanskrit, and translated to Tibetan. I agree, obviously. But we don't recite a lot of "Mahayana Dharma," in most Tibetan lineages. In my experience, at least, we're reciting texts written by Tibetans. All the Termas were certainly not written in Sanskrit, for instance. Most of the Sarma sadhanas, for that matter, were not either.....though there are portions--7 limb prayer from the Avatamsaka Sutra, I think would be the most obvious example--that were translated into Tibetan, and are common to many Sadhanas.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
yegyal wrote:But written/classical Tibetan is based on Sanskrit grammar. It's not a perfect carbon copy, but it does attempt to follow the vibakti system. So while your statement is true in regards to colloquial Tibetan, it's not necessarily so in regards to written Tibetan.
Really? Afaik classical Tibetan belongs to the sino-sibetan language family just as much as colloquial Tibetan. :shrug:

I'm certainly not an expert on Sanskrit or classical Tibetan, but afaik the Tibetan translations of Sanskrit texts try to imitate the syntactical structure as far as possible, but still classical Tibetan is a particle based grammar, whereas Sanskrit grammar is based on declination and conjugation.

Some grammar books speak of cases in Tibetan grammar, but actually that is an outdated concept that was some attempt to impose the structure of Indo-European languages on Tibetan grammar which made it completely impossible to understand how Tibetan grammar works. At least that's what my teachers told me at my local University when I attended some classes in classical Tibetan as a guest student. There are no cases like nominative, genitive, dative, accusative in Tibetan grammar - neither colloquial nor classic. There are particles like the la don, the drel dra and so on.

But Sanskrit on the other hand has all these cases and times European languages use to have, they even have the aorist, the optative, the dualis, the medium like in Ancient Greek - and some more that even Ancient Greek doesn't have. So if you directly translate from Sanskrit to European languages no brushing the grammar up the wrong way is needed...
With all due respect there most certainly are cases in Tibetan. In fact, drel dra ('bral sgra) is the genitive case. And though it is true that Sanskrit grammar was super-imposed onto Tibetan, which nobody is denying belongs to a different language group, traditional literary Tibetan grammar is still taught in terms of "cases," as it has been for over a thousand years.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

In my sangha, we do both. We recite kind of like sandwich of Tibetan-English-Tibetan on anything that is repeated more than once.

For longer sadhanas we do as a group, English recitation is faster than Tibetan, so for time constraints, we may do the really long ones in English except for mantras and certain prayers like 7-line prayer.
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:

Since you seem to be interested in grammar, which I doubt anybody else is, (and I promise to shut up about it after this) here's a link to a good overview of Tibetan case system by one of the best in the field.

http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/Himalay ... J0902C.pdf
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

According to the little I have studied of linguistic typology german is much closer to sanskrit than is tibetan. It would be a good idea to gain some knowledge of linguistic typology, it is a fascinating area for study:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_typology
http://www.omniglot.com/

best wishes!
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”