From The Depth Of My Heart To My Mother - ChNNR

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
dzogchungpa

Re: From The Depth Of My Heart To My Mother - ChNNR

Post by dzogchungpa »

ratna wrote:I'm not a prude when it comes to downloading a Buddhist Studies dissertation here or a Game of Thrones episode there.
I'm shocked, shocked I say!
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

alpha wrote:This kind of harm can come from misunderstanding dharma in general.
Really? I tend to disagree. Sutta, for example, are unlikely to lead to major problems unless one purposefully tries to misconstrue them. Tantra, written in a coded language, are a different story altogether. Dzogchen? How many people do you know of that have misconstrued Dzogchen teachings in regard to karma (for example)?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

This is a great thread to bring this up since it's coming up, how do people feel in general about all the stuff available on sites like libgen.info? I mean seriously so many Dharma books available, but is it ethical/desirable to come about "ownership" of them this way or not?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Well, to clarify the issues, there are at least two:

1. Reading restricted texts for which you have not received permission or whatever the correct term is. This is strictly a Buddhist issue, I think.
2. Downloading pirated ebooks, which could be seen as a moral and/or a legal issue, and therefore also a Buddhist issue.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

dzogchungpa wrote:What kind of harm? Do you actually know of someone who was harmed in that way?
There's two types of harm. First, as explained to me, if you hear pointing out instructions too soon they become a cliche. Instead of having the effect they would have had if you heard them when you were ready to understand them, they just become a phrase to toss around, not much different than a fortune cookie. The second is the danger that they might be misunderstood. And if your pride prevents you from admitting that you have misunderstood them, you've effectively vaccinated yourself against the truth. This problem is not limited to dzogchen, you also see it in Zen, Theravada, and probably outside Buddhism.

Obviously if you teach the truth widely, there's both the chance that it can be understood or misunderstood. If ChNNR does so, that's his choice. Other teachers advise differently, but that's a metter of judgement, not of right or wrong.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Jinzang wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:What kind of harm? Do you actually know of someone who was harmed in that way?
There's two types of harm. First, as explained to me, if you hear pointing out instructions too soon they become a cliche. Instead of having the effect they would have had if you heard them when you were ready to understand them, they just become a phrase to toss around, not much different than a fortune cookie. The second is the danger that they might be misunderstood. And if your pride prevents you from admitting that you have misunderstood them, you've effectively vaccinated yourself against the truth. This problem is not limited to dzogchen, you also see it in Zen, Theravada, and probably outside Buddhism.

Obviously if you teach the truth widely, there's both the chance that it can be understood or misunderstood. If ChNNR does so, that's his choice. Other teachers advise differently, but that's a metter of judgement, not of right or wrong.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I do think that the benefit of calling attention to the availability of this text online outweighs the harm.

Return to “Media”