Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 am

I found this article to be full of helpful info about gurus:
http://www.ncf.net/guru.htm

Here's one interesting comment he makes:
Once someone has found their Tsa-wa i Lama does this mean they should not attend teachings or initiations given by other Lamas?
No, of course not, but a little care should be taken. Each tradition of Buddhism, such as Zen orTheravadin, and each school ofTibetan Buddhism has a different way of presenting things. If you listen to a great variety it is easy to confuse issues without realising you are doing so. It is like a paint box! The red is a nice colour, and those two greens are both clear and bright, and the yellow and that rich purple - all are fine colours but if you mix them all together you get a muddy brown! It is better to stay with teachers of the same lineage as far as you can so that your mind does not become muddy brown! However, a little of one colour added to another can be good. Ask your Refuge Lama or your Tsa-wa i Lama for advice.

Gyalpo

Re: Tai Situ Rinpoche talks about gurus

Postby Gyalpo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:46 pm

It seems to me, that great Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and other rime lamas has very, very brown muddy minds!

:D

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 pm

No, their minds were like rainbows....or, like clean, clear water droplets that reflected the various colors in beautiful, precise, vivid bands of color.

Our minds, however, are dry or muddy--some of us don't reflect any light that enters, never mind what color....or we just soak it up.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."

May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.

Dhondrub

Postby Dhondrub » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:18 pm

There is a saying in Tibet: " Dogs shouldnt imitate lions"

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”