Brahma viharas in sanskrit?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Aemilius

Brahma viharas in sanskrit?

Post by Aemilius »

Does anyone know the wishes of the Four Brahma viharas in sanskrit? The ones that are easily available in pali, english, or tibetan, i.e. semchen tamche dewa dang...
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Kare

Re: Brahma viharas in sanskrit?

Post by Kare »

You can find them in the Arthaviniscayasutra, published in 1971 by the K.P. Jayaswal Research Institute, Patna. (Tibetan Sanskrit Works Series vol. XIII).
Kåre A. Lie
ratna

Post by ratna »

Here's the relevant quotation from the Arthaviniścayasūtra that Kare mentioned:
tatra katame catvāro brahmavihārāḥ ? iha bhikṣavo bhikṣurmaitrīsahagatena cittena avaireṇa asaṁpannena avyābādhena vipulena mahadgatena apramāṇena subhāvitena ekādrisamaṁ vimucya sphuritvā upasaṁpadya viharati, tathā dvitīyam, tathā tṛtīyam, tathā caturtham, iti ūrdhvamadhastiryak sarvaśaḥ sarvāvantamimaṁ lokaṁ maitrīsahagatena cittena avaireṇa asaṁpannena avyābādhena vipulena mahadgatena advayena apramāṇena subhāvitena ekāṁ diśamadhimucya sphuritvā upasaṁpadya viharati | evaṁ karuṇāsahagatena, muditāsahagatena, upekṣāsahagatena cittena avaireṇa asaṁpannena avyābādhena vipulena mahadgatena advayena apramāṇena subhāvitena ekāṁ diśamadhimucya sphuritvā upasaṁpadya viharati | ime catvāro brahmavihārāḥ ||
Source.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Thank you for finding it online, ratna. I have the printed version, but I didn't know it was to found online.
Kåre A. Lie
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Thanks from me too! Would You happen to know if there are whole sanskrit sadhanas existent, and if they contain the four limitless minds, like most of the later sadhanas do? I have seen only partial sanskrit sadhanas, that are mainly from Sadhana Mala, in Bhattacharya's Indian Buddhist Iconography.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
ratna

Post by ratna »

Aemilius wrote:Thanks from me too! Would You happen to know if there are whole sanskrit sadhanas existent, and if they contain the four limitless minds, like most of the later sadhanas do? I have seen only partial sanskrit sadhanas, that are mainly from Sadhana Mala, in Bhattacharya's Indian Buddhist Iconography.
Sure -- for example, there is a complete sadhana in Sanskrit and translation in the Vajrayogini book by Elizabeth English, has the brahmaviharas too.

But if you look at it, you will notice a slight difference between the typical Sanskrit and the typical Tibetan sadhana -- the Tibetan ones are complete liturgies to be recited from beginning to end ("I arise from the syllable x as the deity y"), the Sanskrit ones tend to be worded more like a manual ("now the yogin should arise from the syllable x as the deity y"). So you may have to look around a bit if you want to find a nice Sanskrit verse for the four immeasurables to be recited as part of a liturgy.

R
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Aemilius wrote:Would You happen to know if there are whole sanskrit sadhanas existent, and if they contain the four limitless minds, like most of the later sadhanas do? I have seen only partial sanskrit sadhanas, that are mainly from Sadhana Mala, in Bhattacharya's Indian Buddhist Iconography.
Here's the Sanskrit Sādhanamālā. (I think a few of the sādhanas at the end are missing.)
ratna

Post by ratna »

Jnana wrote: Here's the Sanskrit Sādhanamālā. (I think a few of the sādhanas at the end are missing.)
Many thanks, Jnana, for this link, I didn't know it was available online. Most useful.

R
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Thanks! It is very useful, not that my sanskrit is on that level, but I'll have something to work on. "May be a few in the end are missing", -You must be joking? What I remember of the Indian Buddhist Icongraphy, there are so much more of them, Your link can't be more than maybe 20% or 30% of the whole Sadhana Mala!
svaha
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Aemilius wrote:You must be joking? What I remember of the Indian Buddhist Icongraphy, there are so much more of them, Your link can't be more than maybe 20% or 30% of the whole Sadhana Mala!
The publishers of Gaekwad's Oriental Series published the Sādhanamālā in two volumes. The Preface of volume two says:
  • The first volume published in 1925 contains 170 Sādhanas while this embodies 142 making a total of 312 Sādhanas. These are all short works of Tantric authors the names of whom in some cases only are known, while in others they are not known.
The transliterated text in the above link seems to be based on the two Gaekwad's Oriental Series publications as the numbering appears to correspond. But the text in the above link stops at sādhana #228. There are PDF copies of the print editions of the Gaekwad's Oriental Series texts of the Sādhanamālā on Scribd.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I don't see them on scribd, but they are on libgen.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Language”