Do you know the name of this book about escaping Tibet ?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
omph

Do you know the name of this book about escaping Tibet ?

Post by omph »

I read a book in the the late 1980's or early 1990's of a Tibetan describing an experience of a family escaping Tibet over the himalayas. Some of the members of the family died in the process, but the survivor made it to Dharamsala and went directly up the hill to the see the Dalai Lama when he arrived in India. I can't remember the name of this book, but it was one of one the most moving accounts I've read.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Do you know the name of this book about escaping Tibet ?

Post by Ayu »

Sorry. I read two of this type. One was the story of the Dalai Lamas escape to india, one was the story of three women: grandma, mother and child.
I assume there are many of these kind of stories.
mandala

Re: Do you know the name of this book about escaping Tibet ?

Post by mandala »

I read a really moving book years ago called "Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun".

I don't know if it's the one you're looking for, here's a synopsis:
Ani Pachen was born in 1933, the daughter of a powerful local chieftain in the great, wild expanses of eastern Tibet. Soon after her twenty-first birthday, as the Chinese invasion thundered through her countryside, Pachen's father died, leaving her in charge of her family and the freedom fighters he commanded. Overnight, she became one of the few female leaders of the resistance movement until she, her family, and hundreds of her kinsmen and neighbors were finally captured and imprisoned. For more than twenty years she endured relentless torture, enforced labor, and near starvation in Chinese work camps. But Pachen's legacy of grit and defiance, as well as her single-minded devotion to the Buddha's teachings, helped her survive, and, ultimately, to escape to India, where she ordained as a nun and met His Holiness the Dalai Lama
:smile:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”