Vivid Awareness.

White Lotus

Vivid Awareness.

Post by White Lotus »

i find very little teaching on Vivid awareness, becoming 'very' awake, though this is a state i have at times experienced and have a friend who is in this state all the time. he says that he is just 'very awake', as if everyone else were a sleep walker.

what is the teaching on vivid awareness, vivid alertness. has anyone on this site come across such a teaching. if so, could you say a little about it please.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
ronnewmexico

Re: Vivid Awareness.

Post by ronnewmexico »

I don't have a clue.

I am aware however that there appears to be two threads with the same exact content however.. One in dzochen and one in exploring buddhism.

Of that I am aware :smile: I only slept about 6 or so....so very awake....I'll pass. Maybe tomorrow.

Others may give educated opinions. Mine, just a attempt at humor, since there were no replies.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
heart

Post by heart »

White Lotus wrote:i find very little teaching on Vivid awareness, becoming 'very' awake, though this is a state i have at times experienced and have a friend who is in this state all the time. he says that he is just 'very awake', as if everyone else were a sleep walker.

what is the teaching on vivid awareness, vivid alertness. has anyone on this site come across such a teaching. if so, could you say a little about it please.

best wishes, Tom.
This could be C. Wright Mills definition of sociological imagination: "vivid awareness of the relationship between private experience and the wider society" but they way you describe it seems like you are thinking off rigpa. However if your friend is in that state all the time it isn't rigpa.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

All discursive thoughts are all ego's truths. Contemplation.

_/\_
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Luke

Post by Luke »

Does your friend drink lots of caffeinated beverages? Does he take cold showers?

Does he sleep a lot? Studies show that most people are sleep-deprived. A person who gets a solid 8 hours of sleep every night might indeed stand out in a crowd. "Hey, who's that happy, alert, rosy-cheeked guy?"

On the spiritual side, you might enjoy the book "Quintessential Dzogchen" by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. He talks a lot about all the aware and awake characteristics of rigpa in that book.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Luke wrote: Does he sleep a lot? Studies show that most people are sleep-deprived. A person who gets a solid 8 hours of sleep every night might indeed stand out in a crowd. "Hey, who's that happy, alert, rosy-cheeked guy?"
I've had this happen once or twice when I was younger and it has nothing to do with that. I think it's just a kind of nyams.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

At first I will never say, that it isnt possible to be in rigpa. Of course it is, othervice why I had to do practice? But it takes lot of effort to be in that state of awareness all the time. Sometimes it seems to me that it is very hard in western society and way of life. Nevertheles I think one has to start with basic awareness as it is described in theravada, for example Mahasatipathana sutta. After that one could be more able to integrate also rigpa to whole life.

I wrote on another thread about my "realization machine" which helps me to be aware/awake/alert/mindfull:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2020

May be it will help some one.

:namaste:
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

thanks folks for your replies, best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Zhaxi Cairang

Post by Zhaxi Cairang »

White Lotus wrote:i find very little teaching on Vivid awareness, becoming 'very' awake, though this is a state i have at times experienced and have a friend who is in this state all the time. he says that he is just 'very awake', as if everyone else were a sleep walker.

best wishes, Tom.
look for Gurdjieff/Ouspensky teachings.
Zhaxi Cairang

Post by Zhaxi Cairang »

best wishes, Tom.
you can also find two interesting writings by Gustav Meyrink and Raymond Abellio regarding vivid awareness in "The Morning of the Magicians" of Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier.
Merely Labeled

Post by Merely Labeled »

In book form:

Vivid Awareness
The Mind Instructions of Khenpo Gangshar

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=21867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M.L.

Return to “Dzogchen”