Practicing Zen without a teacher

dyanaprajna2011

Practicing Zen without a teacher

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

I consider myself a Zen Buddhist. I know that Zen is big on the student/teacher relationship, and some even say that you cannot properly or actually practice Zen without a teacher. However, I live well over an hour away from the nearest Zen center, and have no real way to get to either of those places. Is it possible for one to practice Zen without a teacher? If so, what's the best way for one to go about doing this?
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
Meido

Re: Practicing Zen without a teacher

Post by Meido »

dyanaprajna2011 wrote:I consider myself a Zen Buddhist. I know that Zen is big on the student/teacher relationship, and some even say that you cannot properly or actually practice Zen without a teacher. However, I live well over an hour away from the nearest Zen center, and have no real way to get to either of those places. Is it possible for one to practice Zen without a teacher? If so, what's the best way for one to go about doing this?
With modern communication it's obviously very easy to get in touch with a hundred or a thousand teachers in order to ask questions. Having no teacher nearby need not be an obstacle in all ways.

My advice would be to start researching teachers that interest you, and take your time doing so. In the meantime it may be possible for you to learn a foundational practice - like breath-counting - from someone, and so start actually practicing on your own. Practice a lot. Once you choose a teacher (and assuming he/she chooses you back) go meet face to face as soon as your situation allows and start to practice according to the instruction you receive.

As experiences and issues arise, you'll need to check in with your teacher however it works to do so: many will make themselves available by email, even skype and so on. Of course ideally you should meet face to face as often as possible. But my point is that it might not be necessary to meet in person that often, especially during the foundational stage of your practice. There are many possibilities depending on your particular situation, capacity, obstructions and so on.

Good luck.

~ Meido
shel

Post by shel »

A thousand Zen teachers will take on virtual students? Me thinks thou exaggerate a tad. :tongue:
Meido

Post by Meido »

shel wrote:A thousand Zen teachers will take on virtual students? Me thinks thou exaggerate a tad. :tongue:
Got me :smile:

~ Meido
shel

Post by shel »

Never trust a Zen teacher, Dyanaprajna2011. :smile:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

There was, 7 month ago, a thread "How often do you see your teacher?". I cannot find it anymore.
Many answered something like "Once a month" or "Two times a year". Some even said "Once in two years".
To learn from a teacher and then go home and practice there, i find very fruitful.
But i am not in Zen, i'm tibetean Gelug.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dyanaprajna2011 wrote: Is it possible for one to practice Zen without a teacher? If so, what's the best way for one to go about doing this?
No, you need a teacher to practice Zen. However you may not be able to see them once a year. You can also interact with them by media including email or forms of instant messaging but you will still need to physically go and see them once a year or so.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
plwk

Post by plwk »

I dunno dyanaprajna2011...
One opinion says the trinity of a teacher/kalyanamitras/consistent self cultivation is to be upheld if a successful practice is to be expected.
Another one says not necessary, the Teaching itself/kalyanamitras/consistent self cultivation would suffice...
Then yet another one which goes the gung-ho 'pratyekabuddha' style...

In this age of centres/temples/monasteries with snarky and suspect alongside genuine and motivated teachers and students,
it should be enough to drive one to renunciation without the need for a keisaku I guess...no? :mrgreen:
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Whether you need a teacher or not is up to you. Most people need some level of instruction before they can get started on the path. As for what and where you learn from is again a question you have to answer. I think that unless you have serious obstacles you should visit one (or more) Zen (or at least Buddhist) communities to familiarise with the teachings and practices.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Daily Zazen practice can be done without a teacher. :smile:

Although, a temple an hour away is pretty close. I would bet you could find transportation there somehow if you really, really wanted to. Perhaps not literally tomorrow, but sometime in the future. People sometimes visit temples and teachers that are thousands of miles away. Sometimes they spend a year saving up money just so they can do that. An hour away is pretty close compared to New York to California.

:namaste:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
gordtheseeker

Post by gordtheseeker »

I am reading Shut Up and Sit Down and the author mentions (based on Dogens' words) that while one can practice zazen without a teacher, one should not practice Buddhism without a teacher. The example given is when a person thinks they have figured something out, a teacher is there to say "good job, now forget about it and go practice more". In essence a teacher keeps your ego in check and helps keep you from delusions of grandeur.

Return to “Zen”