YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Sugar Spike and Meditation - Dhamma Wheel

Sugar Spike and Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
contemplans

Sugar Spike and Meditation

Postby contemplans » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 am

I had four pieces of chocolate and fifteen minutes later my heart was pounding. I know, not a smart decision. I am low-carb, but I was indulgencing a bit. But do others see changes from the food they eat as a hindrance to calming for meditation? I am thinking of caffeine to. Any treatise on what to avoid which causes the body to be worked up? Any info on counteracting it? Deep breath to calm it? Thanks!

Ben

Re: Sugar Spike and Meditation

Postby Ben » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:57 am

Yes.
Some years ago I attended a silent meditation retreat and was doing quite well. On one day the management put out lindt black chocolate as part of the lunch dana and I had two pieces. I then found that I was too agitated to meditate for the rest of the day. I suspect it was the caffeine rather than the sugar.
I stop taking caffeine and tanin prior to a retreat but I reduce my intake gradually.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:02 am

There is no treatise on how YOUR body will react to different foods.
You can find out for yourself by just paying attention.
To counter act it just don't eat those things that cause a problem.
Common sense.
chownah

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 am

I find that eating - anything, but especially a full meal - just before meditation is a bad idea. A meal makes me feel dull and drowsy, even if I have coffee with it. A snack, which for me is usually coffee and something sweet (yeah, I know, but at least not chocolate :tongue: ) can make me a bit agitated or restless. Empty stomach is best, and early in the day is better than later.

:namaste:
Kim

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 am

The clarity of mind depends on many factors.
For example:
The clarity of present mind is affected by the clarity of previous mind.
It is also affected by the body.
The clarity of mind is also affected by the sila. Anyone who doesn't have clean way of life is far from perfecting the clarity of mind.
There are so many other factors.

For the food itself, it is very clear that there are direct relationship between what we eat and the clarity of mind. After eating, we will have difficulty to meditate. It is not possible, but it is very very challenging.

Onion is also affecting the clarity of mind. This is not something we have to accept by blind faith. But something you should try yourself. If you don't trust it, try to eat food without garlic for 2 weeks, afterwards you do a meditation. Don't be surprise if your mind is clearer. We argue about this also no use, this is something to be tried.

For the breathing itself, there are countless technique.

The clarity of mind is also affected by the breathing. There are like 1 to 1 relationship. If we can breath naturally after some time the mind will clear. This is why Buddha encourage do a meditation with breathing as the tool. Because they have 1 to 1 relationship.

In case, the monkey mind is really crazy and the clarity of mind is very difficult to obtain, you cannot do much. You can just let it be, until that monkey itself tired.

There is a special technique called holding the breath.
How if you do this simple experiment.
Notice the mind in 1 minute, do the thoughts running away here and there?
How long can you hold your breath and still feel comfortable? 30 seconds? 20 seconds?

Let's say you can do it for 30 seconds, holding your breath within comfortable zone

You hold it and notice your mind. You will notice that the thought that previously easy to move here and there, now it has difficulty to fly here and there.

Even if you want to, it is very difficult to change the thought.

I don't say when you are holding your breath, you cannot change the thought, but the though that previously has a tendency to fly here and there, now it is reversed. Its tendency is to stay still.

Again, this is not something to be argued and debate, but something to be tried and proof it by yourself.

This meditation technique can be useful to quickly kill the monkey when he is crazy. After, the monkey KO, the clarity of mind will be there.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:07 am

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:38 am

Digger

Postby Digger » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:53 pm

He is different. He thinks.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”