Ordination

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Ordination

Post by Admin_PC »

Belated Congrats! :)
Sorry I didn't mention anything sooner.
Excited for you!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Excellent!

Thanks for letting me know since I didn't notice this thread earlier.
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 72#p164569
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Warmest congratulations, Indrajala!

We all benefit from your ordination.

(I have only just now figured out that you are Huseng. I have been away from Dharma Wheel for a while and not really paying attention.)
Luke

Post by Luke »

Yes, congratulations, Ven. Indrajala! May you benefit many beings! :anjali:

BTW, "Indrajala" is a really cool-sounding dharma name. What does it mean?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Congratulations, great news!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
plwk

Post by plwk »

Net of Indra?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

plwk wrote:
Net of Indra?
Yes, it refers to the inter-connected nature of reality as a metaphor.

At each intersection of threads there is a gem which is mirror-like. The idea is that if you blemish one, it reflects in all of them. Likewise if you clear away the blemish on one, the whole of the net is all the more brilliant.
greentara

Post by greentara »

This is good news.
sadhu, sadhu, sadhu
Luke

Post by Luke »

Indrajala wrote:
plwk wrote:Net of Indra?
Yes, it refers to the inter-connected nature of reality as a metaphor.

At each intersection of threads there is a gem which is mirror-like. The idea is that if you blemish one, it reflects in all of them. Likewise if you clear away the blemish on one, the whole of the net is all the more brilliant.
Oh, then that's perfect for you, since you have studied the teachings of the Huayen school so much. Good luck with the monastic life! :buddha1:
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I am also only seeing this thread now, and embarassed to offer my congratulations so late. Anyways, congratulations!
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Congratulations! May all benefit from your actions.
Shaun :anjali:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

You are too new to be a Venerable, so is Bhante right or how should you be addressed?

It is good that another being has left the home life for the benefit of all beings - well done!

Are you attached to any monastery now or do you get to pick one or .....?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Namgyal

Post by Namgyal »

Indrajala Bhikkhu :smile: ...Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu...
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Indrajala wrote: So I became a monk. I think I renounced the home life a long time ago, so in many ways this is just a change of clothes.
Hi, Indrajala. I'm a new member in this forum, but an old visitor/follower. Your report is very interesting! Where did you ordain? I mean: vehicle, tradition, country, monastery. One member at DhammaWheel.Com mentioned that seems that you have ordained somewhat independently. Is that true? Is that possible? Thanks a lot! All the best! _/\_
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Uhu wrote: Hi, Indrajala. I'm a new member in this forum, but an old visitor/follower. Your report is very interesting! Where did you ordain? I mean: vehicle, tradition, country, monastery. One member at DhammaWheel.Com mentioned that seems that you have ordained somewhat independently. Is that true? Is that possible? Thanks a lot! All the best! _/\_
No, I didn't ordain independently. I went through the motions of an ordination ceremony here in India with senior monks and was given the robes, precepts and so on. I don't really identify with the ceremony and all the details (vehicle, tradition, country, monastery). It was just a formality that orthodox Buddhist traditions demand. I'm not one for following the crowd.

I am however very independent (and find it inherently difficult to conform to any institution) and as time goes on less interested in what the Vinaya has to say about how I should live my life after reading and researching all about how it developed historically, to say nothing of the utter nonsense you find in some of it (for example, like how to properly draw up loan contracts with laypeople which is actually attributed to the Buddha who lived in a time with no writing!).

I prefer to be a Baba-ji rather than Bhante to be honest. To a certain extent perhaps the influence of India has made me feel uncomfortable with the kind of monasticism you find in Tibetan Buddhism or Theravada where the chiefs get to tell the underlings whether they're allowed to wear underwear or not. I want no part of that. If someone ever told me I can't wear underwear I would tell them to #### off.

I'm fortunately in a position though where I can be independent. I just do whatever I want really. Now that isn't to say I'm having sex, drinking alcohol and doing all kinds of questionable things (I'm not). I just prefer to be a śramaṇa (mendicant, not novice) on my own terms, which in my mind is more in line with the original spirit of the Buddha's time. There are common features found in ancient śramaṇa traditions: celibacy, non-violence, simplicity, mendicancy, etc. A lot of what you find beyond that is clearly aimed at self-preservation and propagation of institutions (like the strong obsession in the Vinaya with keeping a sparkling clean image for the the paying laypeople).

If all this makes me a heretic, then I'll happily walk away from Buddhism and simply follow Buddhadharma. :anjali:
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

phpBB [video]
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

phpBB [video]
plwk

Post by plwk »

How refreshing to watch those 2 videos :thanks:
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Welcome I really enjoyed them too.

The Chinese liturgy is so nice to listen to.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Indrajala wrote:[ It was just a formality that orthodox Buddhist traditions demand.
Hardly.
(for example, like how to properly draw up loan contracts with laypeople which is actually attributed to the Buddha who lived in a time with no writing!).
It is quite likely that some form of writing existed in India during the time of Buddha. It may not have been used to record religious texts, but considering your recent speculations about a Mesopotamian/India connection, it would be absurd to suppose that Indians kept all their financial undertakings in their heads. And given that bark records don't survive long in India...

Return to “Dharma Stories”