YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

SOPA, America's internet censorship - Dhamma Wheel

SOPA, America's internet censorship

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Reductor

SOPA, America's internet censorship

Postby Reductor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 am

I am surprised there has been no mention of SOPA.

Anyone hear of it, and what are your thoughts if you have?

More about it here:
http://m.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/wtf-is-sopa/17336
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201111 ... deas.shtml
http://www.reddit.com/r/sopa

Because much of the Canadian interwebs relies on U.S. internet infrastructure (so I have read), this legislation alarms me. Talk about blacklisting sites is especially alarming.

I believe a term for this legislation is "The great american firewall".
Last edited by Reductor on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ytrog

Re: SOPA

Postby Ytrog » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:44 pm

I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Onlin ... ifications sums it up pretty well. It means that everyone is potentially a target and can be closed down even if they do nothing wrong and even when they are not in the US. It is similar to what China is doing and doesn't belong in a democratic society. it is also, along with ACTA, an attempt to force US law down the throat of non US citizens and companies (through it's control of the root DNS servers).

A relevant quote from Wikipedia: "Many proxy servers, such as those used during the Arab Spring, can also be used to thwart copyright enforcement and therefore may be made illegal by the act."

Reductor

Re: SOPA

Postby Reductor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 am

Last edited by Reductor on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ytrog

Re: SOPA, America's internet censorship

Postby Ytrog » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:38 am

:goodpost: I also found a good article about it here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/20 ... stitution/

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:09 pm

IN another thread the opinion was expressed that in this day and age we don't need to worry about the gov't's involvement in the internet because we don't have an oppressive gov't.....I hope some of those people come on here and reassure us to not worry about the gov't censoring the internet because they would of course not do us any harm as they have our best interest at heart. :tongue:
chownah

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:34 pm

coders-develop-ways-to-defeat-sopa-censorship
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/12/21 ... censorship

The real solutions are to get and stay politically involved and vote Republicans out of power.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Ytrog, chownah and jhana. I was wondering if I was the only concerned dw member.

In the end I think people will find a way around those governments that would aid (or engage) in censorship. But as the risks of participation become higher, Freedom will have become that much more limited.

Actually, such limits on the net seem inevitable to me. There are far too many reasons for governments and corporations to want control.

Hopefully, however, the bills do not pass, or if they do, then I hope Obama has the decency to veto them. We shall see.

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:48 am

You don't need to pass laws to stop the influence of big corporations...just stop basing your life style on consuming their products....oh, wait, that's no fun.....let's pass some laws and let the gov't take care of it!!!

Do you really think that passing some laws will keep big money from influencing gov't?....not bloody likely.....I guess....I don't know for sure.....
chownah

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

sattva

Postby sattva » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 am

Okay, I admit that i am not up on all of this and the person that use to be my go-to-guy for political info is no longer around. With that said, does anyone know of any petitions being assembled on the web against this? :anjali:

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 am

Hello all,

Many of us took action days ago, via agencies/groups like ''AccessNow''.
The Petition was effective with PIPA being shelved for the time being at least.

with metta
Chris
================================
Dear Chris,

Firstly, I want to thank all our members for their messages of support over the past two days -- it was overwhelming! I wanted to give you a quick report on what happened over the past few days in DC and New York, as well as tell you about an urgent global call to action before this Tuesday's all important vote on the future of the internet.

Along with the widespread blackout of sites across the internet, thousands of us this week rallied on the streets against the PROTECT IP Act (or PIPA), the extreme copyright legislation before the US Congress. These events dominated world news, including my interview to kick off Al Jazeera's coverage of the internet blackout. Then a small delegation of us met with Senators across the political spectrum. We took your views and voices to Washington, delivering a message from the international human rights community that censorship of the internet is unacceptable and that we will fight this bill every inch of the way.

And you are being heard. At last count, there are 38 senators who have expressed opposition in some form to PIPA (last week this number was only 5)! We need a total of 41 "No" votes for this ill-conceived legislation to fall over. There are several senators on the fence, but there are just a few short days left to persuade them. Sign the global petition calling on US lawmakers to kill this bill and we'll deliver it to those undecided senators before Tuesday's vote:

http://www.accessnow.org/stand-with-people-not-pipa

We've already beaten the copyright lobby in Colombia, so we know we can move mountains if we work together. While protecting the rights of creators is important, the internet is a critical enabler of human rights and decisions about its governance should not be made hastily or made in backroom deals. And while there are talks of compromises and amendments possibly being made to PIPA, we will not compromise on our right to free speech and expression online. No form of this bill is acceptable. Period.

This is a global issue affecting all of us, so no matter where you are, please sign on. See what your fellow members sent through over the past 48 hours and then sign the petition below:
I'm joining the protest in full from Italy, with my blog - Fabio, Italy
I really want to thank you for your standing up, I hope this will support the freedom of speech. I might have spent my entire life in jail because of my digital activism. - Hussain, Bahrain
I have redistributed your letter to our members via our community blog and a special mailing. - Tobias, across Africa
I support the fight, and hope the Senate will answer you, because freedom is a human right they can't ignore. - Nathalie, Corsica
Give them hell for all of us!!!!!! - Pat, USA

We're close to toppling PIPA. Now it's time to add your voices to this global petition.

http://www.accessnow.org/stand-with-people-not-pipa

Cheers,
Jochai for the Access team
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

sattva

Postby sattva » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks Chris for the info and link! :anjali:

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 am

I read in the news today that both SOPA and PIPA are dropped.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/20 ... a_on_hold/

David2

Postby David2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 pm

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “Lounge”