Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Pero » Sat May 04, 2013 10:07 pm

oldbob wrote:The point of publishing the list is that this is the practice heart of the Dzogchen Community. Guru Yoga is the primary practice and infuses all other practices / activities, 24/7. The DC is more than Yantra Yoga and Vajra Dance, yet 90 percent of the course offerings has been just these two subjects. (Maybe this is why so few go to non-Rinpoche retreats at the Gars.) Maybe more people would attend retreats if these other secondary practices were taught as well.

Maybe the courses are mostly YY and VD because it's a lot easier to learn this in person where you can ask questions and be corrected by the instructor . Whereas you can easily learn stuff like Mandarava and Tara from a book and DVD. And if you do something wrong there won't be health consequences from improper practice. And, I imagine for some people money is also an issue. I don't live that near to any DC center so why would I go to a course with all the expenses (course + travel + accomodation + food = lots of money) if I can easily learn it from a book and DVD (~10 times less than combined cost of course)? This of course doesn't apply for people living near the centers.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby simhanada » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Pero wrote:Maybe the courses are mostly YY and VD because it's a lot easier to learn this in person where you can ask questions and be corrected by the instructor .


Also YY and VD have aspects parts that can be taught and practised by people that haven't had transmission. They can be good community outreach to introduce new people to Rinpoche's teachings without them having to have received transmission.
simhanada
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Pero » Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 pm

simhanada wrote:
Pero wrote:Maybe the courses are mostly YY and VD because it's a lot easier to learn this in person where you can ask questions and be corrected by the instructor .


Also YY and VD have aspects parts that can be taught and practised by people that haven't had transmission. They can be good community outreach to introduce new people to Rinpoche's teachings without them having to have received transmission.

Oh yeah that's right, forgot about that (didn't know about VD though).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby simhanada » Sun May 05, 2013 1:13 am

Pero wrote:Oh yeah that's right, forgot about that (didn't know about VD though).


Just the dance of the six spaces of samantabhadra.
simhanada
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby oldbob » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 am

All good points, but then why do only a few people come when beginning (or advanced) Yantra Yoga or Vajra Dance courses are offered at the major centers?

Perhaps the market has been saturated /exhausted and some "new" teachings would bring in more people.

Perhaps more people would participate if the classes were given as on-line / webcast as well.

Perhaps more people would participate if the fees were "by donation" instead of $150 to $600 per workshop.

The key point of opening free access to an indexed Media Archive (with a new permission structure from Rinpoche) would allow all members to have access to, and get the benefit of, all the Teachings of the DC, through "attending" any past retreat of Rinpoche's, that they choose to.

My 2 cents is that everything can be taught on the web. Subjects that are taught more easily through interaction can be taught through group interactive classes. Skype, Google, Go to meeting etc offer this capability.

My 2 cents is that the "dangers" of yantra yoga are overblown and that anyone who can read, can also read the caveats, cautions, and protections that are necessary and helpful to avoid health problems. I first learned yy at retreats, but then enjoyed many hours of practicing along with video tapes.

Once when I was living in a place that did not have a dance mandala, a few people and myself got together and painted a roll up one, and rented space, twice a week, in a local school. One person was experienced and she taught us how to dance, for free.

Sure there are many practices that are more easily accomplished through group participation. Chod, Mike Katz's dream yoga workshops, learning the mudras, learning the melodies of the rituals and songs, learning the pronunciation of the Tibetan words in rituals, doing the semzins and rushens, doing the practice of the 6 lokas, celebrating Gana Puja, performing shi tro, kum nye massage, and zer nga, etc all lend themselves to be taught / practiced in a group setting, etc, but all of these could also be taught on-line, in interactive meetings / classes.

This can be organized in the appropriate languages.

It would be good if there were a list of approved teachers for each practice that members could email if they have questions. Perhaps the list of SMS teachers is a start. This is published on-line.

http://kunsangar.org/media/cmsmediafile ... ERS%20.pdf

Hope this helps,

Best everything,

ob
oldbob
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby T. Chokyi » Sun May 05, 2013 4:11 pm

oldbob wrote::good: :good: :good: :group:

All great posts.

Nice to see this thread come alive, facing some of the issues of the DC.

Everyone describes the elephant from their point of view, like the blind wise men in the story, depending on what parts they touched.

I think that transmission depends on faith and devotion: the a-tuning of the student to the Teacher.

Please note the point about Ven. Jigme Lingpa's transmission / permissions from the omniscient Ven. Longchenpa.

So if with tears in the eyes, and your arm hairs standing straight up (2 signs of heart devotion) if you ask ChNNR for transmission / permission at ANY time - perhaps you will get it.

This has nothing to do with what his physical body, in this incarnation, is doing at the time. This is my piece of the elephant.

I have also been standing 1 meter from Rinpoche when someone asked him, "Can you get lung transmission from a recording?"

Rinpoche paused a moment and then said, "Yes, it is all sound," and then rolled his eyes up. This occurred at Tseygyalgar, on the upper land, many years ago. There were several witnesses.


Maybe he has since changed his mind.

Perhaps there are several personalities, in play, who teach different things at different times, just to keep things interesting. :smile: :woohoo: :smile:

Yes, I am back in the States, having survived 2 months in Margarita. You don't want to know, but I may address the issues in a separate thread.

ob


Dear oldbob,

I believe you, I also think that Rinpoche can transmit from a recording anytime, because Rinpoche has no limit to how he can empower us, however, for the sake of our understanding, in other words, because so many confusions come, I believe this is why Rinpoche has specified that we be in the same time (moment) in the same "space"... I have found even in recent teachings by a different master, that you can get the empowerment from the recording (pre-recorded empowerment) if you have the "heart" for this... so I believe you, and you are "right" or "correct", just like I was "right" or "correct"...however this "rightness" of course has nothing to do with actuality... "how it is" :heart:

I also appreciate when you say:

oldbob wrote::
Perhaps there are several personalities, in play, who teach different things at different times, just to keep things interesting. :smile: :woohoo: :smile:


:thumbsup:
User avatar
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby oldbob » Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Pero wrote,

"I don't live that near to any DC center so why would I go to a course with all the expenses (course + travel + accommodation + food = lots of money) if I can easily learn it from a book and DVD (~10 times less than combined cost of course)? This of course doesn't apply for people living near the centers."

[Now I am writing]

No monetization structure (how much the different classes of membership pay) of any retreat, of the DC, has ever addressed the issue of the HUGH COST differential for people coming from far away. I was going to 3-4 retreats per year since 1982 at a cost from $300 to $1500 per retreat. Because of my good jobs, I could happily afford this. Most people cannot. The webcasts help, but are not the same thing as attending in person.

In

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4052&start=3240#p162529

I speak of:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Example: For the wealthy who are meritorious members of the DC, who live within commuting distance of Conway, [for] the upcoming DC retreat there is 0 actual cost for the retreat. For a non-member, coming from Hawaii (worse case distance in the US), who has attended any DC retreat before, the actual cost is $600 plus airfare of around $800, plus bus transportation to the Conway area of $100 r/t, plus motel of $60 per night, for the 7 nights necessary to attend the retreat, so add $400. This makes a total of almost $2000.

The DC retreats have developed a reputation as a "club for the rich."

At the last Tsegyalgar retreat, the attendance dropped to 350 from the previous retreat's 650.

What is wrong with this picture?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure on the website there is a disclaimer stating:

"Special Circumstances: DCA will make every effort to make this retreat financially accessible to anyone interested in the Teachings. If you have special circumstances to discuss, please email the Yellow Gakyil at: yellowgakyil@tsegyalgar.org

Work Study Positions: A limited number of Work Study positions are available for this retreat on a first-come first served basis. If you're interested, please email the Work Study Coordinator, Rita Kaiser at: rwkaiser@verizon.net"

I fear that many poor people are too humble, or shy, to apply for the "special circumstances."

I fear that many who would want work study are turned down because of the "limited number of positions."

The $2000, cost comparison made above, is between the actual total costs of attending the upcoming Tseygyalgar retreat, for 2 different types of DC membership. Two thousand dollars is a great deal of money. My gut sense is that this amount of difference could easily be a show stopper, for someone of limited means, coming from far away. This would be a shame.

The Conway Mass. retreat is the only long retreat this year in the USA. It is nice that there are several, few day, retreats in the West of the US, but this is not the same experience as a week with Rinpoche. Had the far-away, non-member (in this example) been offered the same price as the normal, or reduced member, they would have an additional $300 to pay for the other expenses. Had the Conway retreat been charged for at a flat $100 for all types of membership, this would have allowed an additional $500 to be put towards the actual costs of hotel and transportation. This could easily be the tipping point between attending and not attending.

My 2 cents is that retreats should be charged for at actual cost, and not be used to raise operating funds. Operating funds should be raised by the membership fees and direct donations. I think that then, many more people would be able to attend the precious retreats of ChNNR and get the benefit. If the retreat fee was a fixed $100 for all classes of membership, then with the 350 people who attended last year, $35,000 would have been raised. I believe that this would have easily covered expenses. Of course it is also wise and prudent, to offer reduced retreat fees to the elderly, students and those on "reduced" membership. The Tseygyalgar Gakyil did NOT/NOT allow for any of these reductions in fees.

I strongly believe that fees charged, should not be a potential show stopper imposed by a Dharma organization. In recognition of this, many Dharma groups include the phrase, "no one will be turned away due to lack of funds," in their advertisements for Dharma events. The inclusion of this phrase makes the point that all are welcome.

My 2 cents is that the high prices and SHAMEFUL differentiation, between what a "meritorious" member pays and what a non member pays, is caused by the people setting these monetization policies being disconnected from the realities of ordinary people. At least 2 of the 3 members of the yellow Gakyil at Tseygyalgar are VERY wealthy (perhaps meritorious members?). They are supported in their setting the pricing by some members of the Gakyil, (local and international) who give the appearance of simply not caring if people get access to the retreats and Teachings.

I can't understand the thinking of these people at all. My 2 cents is that there must be some kind of ego reward to themselves, by feeling that they can differentiate themselves in a good way, in their own minds, between those who can afford to pay the high prices and those who can not. This is the mentality of: "I've got it, you want it, and I am not going to let you have it unless you pay me for it." This works for business. It does not apply to any Buddha Dharma, Dzogchen or otherwise. This is the opposite of open-hearted kindness, which is the essence of ALL Buddha Dharma, Dzogchen or otherwise, (as illuminated through the 3 emptys and four strayings).

The appearance, is that these self-satisfied members of the Gaykil, and their advisors, simply do not care, in a way that is helpful to everyone. Financial prosperity is not necessarily the same as open-hearted kindness. Open-hearted kindness can include great financial prosperity.

Offering "special circumstances" and "limited work study" OR a free on-line Mirror subscription, OR a Tseygyalgar blog, OR pot-luck dinners with bingo (I could not make this up), OR paper making courses (I could not make this up), OR barbecues on the land, is NOT the same thing as open-hearted kindness: making EVERYONE feel welcome, and included, at retreats, (and with regards to equal access to all the Teachings), regardless of their financial standing.

Perhaps doing our best can be done better! Well organized, well managed, retreats are not necessarily kindly, including everyone, retreats. With open-hearted kindness, and equal access to the Teachings, everything is possible. Perhaps we need to find Gaykil members (local and international) who embody this.

This is not politics, whining, or passive aggression. It is a simple statement of the way things actually are in the DCA, in the completely sincere hope that the powers-that-be will make things easier for those with limited means. Hence my illustration of the $2000 difference, and all this blah, blah, blah.

For an old timer like myself, who is just happy to sit in the sun, I can be at the other side of the world and still get the benefit of the DI, by webcast. For newcomers, I think that it would be useful to attend retreats in person, in order to get the DI more directly, and at least until confidence in this experience is developed.

I am eternally grateful to Ven. ChNNR, and my other Ven. Dharma Teachers for sharing their precious Dharma Teachings with me. Personally, I am a very happy camper and have no complaints what-so-ever.

"We are all in the same boat."

Be the boat.

:heart:

ob
Last edited by oldbob on Sun May 05, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
oldbob
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby MalaBeads » Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

OB,

I do think you're on to something here so I'd encourage you to keep at it. Every time i read one of your posts, its a little clearer what you're saying. Which is of course complicated. Not easy to unravel this particular ball of wax (sorry, for the mixed metaphor).

As best as I can understand it, you are talking about money, power and access and how they interact. Funny, but when you described how two of the yellow gakyil members were very wealthy and therefore you suspected very out of touch with the circumstances of ordinary people, I couldn't help but flash back to descriptions of a recent US administration as being the same way.

I do remember hearing KY say that what works is different in every country so perhaps this is just a US problem, i don't know. But people are people everywhere and its just possible that money, power and access circumstances differ only superficially. But again, i don't really know.

Anyway, keep it up. Every post is clearer. Your long history of involvement in the DC is useful.
MalaBeads
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby T. Chokyi » Sun May 05, 2013 6:17 pm

May 8 – 12 Tsegyalgar West Retreat
“Zhinang Yeshes Dronme" (Tib. g.zhi-snang ye-shes sgron-me),
The Wisdom light of the Base.

closed webcast

All times are baja california time: [gmt-6:00]

Teaching program (total 5 sections):

May 8 - 5:00pm to 7:00 pm
May 9 - 10:00am to 12:00 am
May 9 - 6pm - Ganapuja - Aniversary of Sangye Lingpa
May 10 - 10:00am to 12:00 pm
May 11 - 10:00am to 12:00 pm
May 12 - 10:00am to 12:00 pm

In the Webcast Site http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast You will find updated SCHEDULE and
information.

If you are new to webcasts, you can get a membership through your local Gar and listen to
re-runs as well as "closed" webcasts, get more information here:

http://tsegyalgar.org/support/onlinemembership/

List of Gars & Lings (near you)

http://tsegyalgar.org/communityworldwide/communityworldwide/
User avatar
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Clarence » Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Oldbob,

Very interesting post again.

I keep wondering why you don't bring this up at the vajracakra forum. There are actually people there who have served on a Gaykil or run DC centers. I would love to see their responses.

I pray that your wishes come true as I think people would be better served with your ideas implemented.

Best, C
Clarence
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Dronma » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Clarence wrote:I keep wondering why you don't bring this up at the vajracakra forum. There are actually people there who have served on a Gaykil or run DC centers. I would love to see their responses.


Maybe because he does not like "power people" and/or "control freaks"? :stirthepot:

PS. How do you know that they do not exist here people who have served on a Gakyil or run DC centers?
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
User avatar
Dronma
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Athens - GR

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby oldbob » Mon May 06, 2013 12:42 am

Dronma wrote:
Clarence wrote:I keep wondering why you don't bring this up at the vajracakra forum. There are actually people there who have served on a Gaykil or run DC centers. I would love to see their responses.


Maybe because he does not like "power people" and/or "control freaks"? :stirthepot:

PS. How do you know that they do not exist here people who have served on a Gakyil or run DC centers?


:namaste:

Dear all and ALL,

I have never had even one thought that anyone at VC is a power person or control freak. Perhaps these terms are entirely from Dronma. Perhaps she is voicing her own projections that have completely nothing to do with me. I have no problem posting on VC, as I feel appropriate, as my many posts attest.

Truth is I like the cheery color scheme here on DW better. That is all. :twothumbsup: Now that that is out of the way, let's talk about power people and control freaks in the DC - :smile: just kidding. There are also no power people or control freaks in the DC. It just appears that way sometimes. :smile: Everything / everyone has no permanent self nature. In 100 years, I am sure that nothing anyone writes, here, or on VC, will be recorded anywhere, or remembered by anybody, and I am content with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzcZttcpYFQ

The Beatles will go on forever. That said ---

Here is the Master Calander of the DCA, Tsegyalgar East:

http://tsegyalgar.org/theteachings/mastercalendar/

Of the 34 scheduled events, 18 are either Vajra Dance or Yantra Yoga. Only 4 other teaching events are scheduled from the list of secondary practices: one event of Chod, one event of Longsal Saltong Tsalung Practice, and two SMS base events. Please note that this covers a period of eight months and includes Tseygyalgar, Conway MA, and Kundrolling, NYC. Sure Rinpoche is visiting for three weeks, but this is not eight months.

What is wrong with this picture?

This is like serving up cabbage greens and boiled turnips, most of the time, when the garden has 100 different flavorful veggies in it. Personally, I don't eat cabbage greens and boiled turnips. I have always been afraid that "you are what you eat", and that I might wind up as a narcissistic power cabbage or nit-picking control turnip. :smile: True story. (No particular cabbage or turnip in mind, just a general discomfort at the feeling tone of how things were presented.)

Maybe this is only my problem.

Maybe it is time that the DC grows beyond this, serving up some other veggies from the cornucopia menu of 100. Maybe I can learn to stomach cabbage greens and boiled turnips if they are prepared in a tasty new recipe by new chefs. Hmmnnnn - maybe if we add a pinch of awareness curry? Now that's much better.

:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ98qac2UIM

:heart:
Last edited by oldbob on Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
oldbob
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Dronma » Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 am

oldbob wrote:My 2 cents is that everything can be taught on the web. Subjects that are taught more easily through interaction can be taught through group interactive classes. Skype, Google, Go to meeting etc offer this capability.


I support this idea. It would be wonderful to have more explanations of teachings from the SMS instructors through webcasts. Moreover, a DC closed forum (only for members), wherein we could ask questions and receive 100% correct answers from the same approved instructors.

oldbob wrote:My 2 cents is that the "dangers" of yantra yoga are overblown and that anyone who can read, can also read the caveats, cautions, and protections that are necessary and helpful to avoid health problems. I first learned yy at retreats, but then enjoyed many hours of practicing along with video tapes.


Although I have followed a few retreats of Yantra Yoga, if there were not the books and DVDs, surely I would be lost! I am still having some specific questions in certain matters, but these questions could be easily answered through a DC forum or a webcast. Personally, I do not have the luxury to run in many retreats abroad.

oldbob wrote:Once when I was living in a place that did not have a dance mandala, a few people and myself got together and painted a roll up one, and rented space, twice a week, in a local school. One person was experienced and she taught us how to dance, for free.


Vajra Dance is a practice which really needs instructions through personal participation. It also needs special conditions like a large place, a mandala, a group of people for regular training etc.

oldbob wrote:Sure there are many practices that are more easily accomplished through group participation. Chod, Mike Katz's dream yoga workshops, learning the mudras, learning the melodies of the rituals and songs, learning the pronunciation of the Tibetan words in rituals, doing the semzins and rushens, doing the practice of the 6 lokas, celebrating Gana Puja, performing shi tro, kum nye massage, and zer nga, etc all lend themselves to be taught / practiced in a group setting, etc, but all of these could also be taught on-line, in interactive meetings / classes.


The training of most practices requires group participation, at least in the beginning. Or better, the goal of learning is accomplished easier and quicker while practicing with other people, who already have good knowledge of the specific practice. When the learning stage has been accomplished, then there are very few practices which are made exclusively for groups. Usually, the goal of the practice is accomplished through personal, everyday dedication.

oldbob wrote:It would be good if there were a list of approved teachers for each practice that members could email if they have questions. Perhaps the list of SMS teachers is a start. This is published on-line.

http://kunsangar.org/media/cmsmediafile ... ERS%20.pdf


A DC closed forum could bring more benefit to all of us. Since the questions of my Vajra brothers and sisters could answer my own questions as well. So less work for the instructors and more knowledge for everybody! :smile:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
User avatar
Dronma
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Athens - GR

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Dronma » Mon May 06, 2013 1:33 am

oldbob wrote:
Dronma wrote:
Clarence wrote:I keep wondering why you don't bring this up at the vajracakra forum. There are actually people there who have served on a Gaykil or run DC centers. I would love to see their responses.


Maybe because he does not like "power people" and/or "control freaks"? :stirthepot:

PS. How do you know that they do not exist here people who have served on a Gakyil or run DC centers?


:namaste:

Dear all and ALL,

I have never had even one thought that anyone at VC is a power person or control freak. Perhaps these terms are entirely from Dronma. Perhaps she is voicing her own projections that have completely nothing to do with me. I have no problem posting on VC, as I feel appropriate, as my many posts attest.


Of course, you never said anything about Vajracakra's "wanna be powerful people" and/or "control freaks". :smile:
Certainly I admit that this is only my own mind projection, and I take full responsibility of my words!
But I am tired to see appearing here from time to time indirect advertisements for Vajracakra. Everybody, who was here during the "dramatic secession" of a few people, knows what really happened and can decide by him/herself.
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
User avatar
Dronma
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Athens - GR

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 am

We do seem to very much need a closed forum, otherwise such wonderful initiatives as Bob's may well just peter out before most of the DC members hear of them. And soon some changes will be simply necessary. IMO, of course.

Dronma wrote:
oldbob wrote:My 2 cents is that the "dangers" of yantra yoga are overblown and that anyone who can read, can also read the caveats, cautions, and protections that are necessary and helpful to avoid health problems. I first learned yy at retreats, but then enjoyed many hours of practicing along with video tapes.


Although I have followed a few retreats of Yantra Yoga, if there were not the books and DVDs, surely I would be lost! I am still having some specific questions in certain matters, but these questions could be easily answered through a DC forum or a webcast. Personally, I do not have the luxury to run in many retreats abroad.


Well... I've attended quite a few YY retreats, and still manage to screw things up royally every now and then :-) That is not to say that YY retreats are useless, obviously - and the books and the DVDs are very helpful as well - but what is probably most needed here is the possibility of some personal contact with a qualified and experienced YY instructor. Not necessarily in meatspace, though that'd be best, of course. Contacting them online would also work just fine.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
User avatar
treehuggingoctopus
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Mudhole? Slimy? My home, this is.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Bhusuku » Mon May 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Dronma wrote:a DC closed forum (only for members), wherein we could ask questions and receive 100% correct answers from the same approved instructors.

treehuggingoctopus wrote:We do seem to very much need a closed forum

totally agree with that! I think it's really a pity that the responsible people from DC didn't manage (or didn't want?) to establish an official forum in all these years. I mean, we have regular webcasts since at least 8 years now, but still no place in cyberspace to meet and exchange. I'm sure a DC forum would be of real great benefit for many (if not for all) DC members, and I can see not a single disadvantage in creating such a place.
Bhusuku
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Clarence » Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Dronma wrote:
Clarence wrote:I keep wondering why you don't bring this up at the vajracakra forum. There are actually people there who have served on a Gaykil or run DC centers. I would love to see their responses.


Maybe because he does not like "power people" and/or "control freaks"? :stirthepot:

PS. How do you know that they do not exist here people who have served on a Gakyil or run DC centers?


You are right. I don't know if such people exist here. I do know they exist there though. Which, btw, is in no way meant as veiled advertisements for VC. Hardly anything happens on that forum. However, I do think Oldbob would get a lot more interesting responses to his questions there than he does here. Simply because the posters who left were all CNN students and were the most prolific on this board about the subject.
Clarence
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Dronma » Mon May 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Bhusuku wrote:totally agree with that! I think it's really a pity that the responsible people from DC didn't manage (or didn't want?) to establish an official forum in all these years. I mean, we have regular webcasts since at least 8 years now, but still no place in cyberspace to meet and exchange. I'm sure a DC forum would be of real great benefit for many (if not for all) DC members, and I can see not a single disadvantage in creating such a place.


There was a kind of simplified forum in the old webcast website, where members could log in with their passwords. Most of the times, people were complaining about technical difficulties there, but rarely they were receiving some reply. Such a forum is almost useless today.
But a well organized forum with Rinpoche's approval, wherein SMS, Yantra Yoga and Vajra Dance instructors will be regularly present everyday and answer seriously to practitioners' questions, it could be an extremely useful tool of knowledge for all.
In the contrary, a forum where everybody asks questions and everybody gives answers, it can be the source of more confusion and personal conflicts in between members.
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
User avatar
Dronma
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Athens - GR

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Dronma wrote:But a well organized forum with Rinpoche's approval, wherein SMS, Yantra Yoga and Vajra Dance instructors will be regularly present everyday and answer seriously to practitioners' questions, it could be an extremely useful tool of knowledge for all.
In the contrary, a forum where everybody asks questions and everybody gives answers, it can be the source of more confusion and personal conflicts in between members


Oh I agree wholeheartedly. SMS, YY and VD instructors - as well as those qualified and Rinpoche-approved people who would teach us other secondary practices, Tibetan pronunciation, etc. We could have a medicine sub-forum there, too, Tibetan language and Tibetan culture sections, some space devoted to relavant academic pursuits and a place where we could arrange all the official and personal things that we now deal with via Norbunet.

Norbunet, truth be told, is rather old-fashoned, isn't it? A well-managed forum would be so much more efficient. Hell, it does seem awfully strange that we don't have such a place yet. How come?
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
User avatar
treehuggingoctopus
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Mudhole? Slimy? My home, this is.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby alpha » Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6659&start=20

On this page there is an answer from Malcolm as to why Dzogchen Blog was shut down the first time .
It talks about the strict regulations of the DC in relation to how a site representing DC should look like.
AOM
alpha
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: kent

PreviousNext

Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

>