Questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bcharlie

Questions

Post by bcharlie »

Buddhism Research Questions:
If you could please answers these question, with as much detail as possible that would be a great help.
➢ Being a Buddhists, do you see it your responsibility to look after the environment?
➢ Do any reading from the Tipitaka teach you to be more in accord with earth and offer it respect?
➢ Stewardship is management of the Earth and its resources in according to the dhamma, the teachings of the Buddha. This includes respect for all forms of life. To what extent do you believe in this statement?
➢ Do you think Buddhist views on looking after the environment are somewhat unique compared to other religions?
➢ Do Buddhist people believe in global warming caused by greenhouse gases?
➢ Is looking after the environment a responsibility or task for Buddhist people?
➢ Do you see yourself as a human equal to everything else?
➢ The law of kamma states that our actions have consequences. Buddhists should be mindful of the consequences of their actions on the environment and on future generations. Do you believe in this statement?
➢ The Buddha taught that greed and ignorance are two of the Three Poisons which keep us tied to the wheel of samsara. Many of the current problems facing the environment have also been caused by human greed and ignorance. Do you think Human beings need to become aware of this in the way they treat the environment?
dude

Re: Questions

Post by dude »

➢ Being a Buddhists, do you see it your responsibility to look after the environment?

Of course. All living beings in my environment are not separate from or outside myself. If I harm them I harm myself.

➢ Do any reading from the Tipitaka teach you to be more in accord with earth and offer it respect?

Yes. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the sutra passage, but I seem to remember the Buddha having likened the earth to a mother which sustains and protects, to be cared for with the same devotion one would show a parent; and filial piety is very important in Buddhism.

➢ Stewardship is management of the Earth and its resources in according to the dhamma, the teachings of the Buddha. This includes respect for all forms of life. To what extent do you believe in this statement?

That is the Buddha's teachings, which I accept every word of.

➢ Do you think Buddhist views on looking after the environment are somewhat unique compared to other religions?
There are similarities and there are differences. Taoism and Hinduism both mandate a deep respect for nature. To disrupt or injure natural life is to offend heaven, in those philosophies.
In the Abrahamic traditions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), contradictory interpretions have been offered : in one view, God created the natural world for humans to do what they want with. In another, these gifts from God are intended to be maintained and strengthened, not abused, neglected, or damaged by irresponsible exploitation.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”