a Vajrayana paradox

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

a Vajrayana paradox

Post by Luke »

One thing I have frequently heard lamas say is that we encounter Vajrayana teachings because we practiced Vajrayana in past lives.
But yet, there had to be some first time which we encountered Vajrayana teachings in some past life.
Why are lamas always so confident that our present lifetime isn't the first time we are encountering the Vajrayana teachings?
Nikolay

Re: a Vajrayana paradox

Post by Nikolay »

Luke wrote:One thing I have frequently heard lamas say is that we encounter Vajrayana teachings because we practiced Vajrayana in past lives.
But yet, there had to be some first time which we encountered Vajrayana teachings in some past life.
Why are lamas always so confident that our present lifetime isn't the first time we are encountering the Vajrayana teachings?
Probably because we can encounter Vajrayana for the first time only once, yet we can encounter it again many times. Thus, in terms of probability, the second one is more likely?
Please consider donating to help find a cure for Degenerative Vitreous Syndrome:
http://www.gofundme.com/floaters
Luke

Post by Luke »

mirage wrote: Why are lamas always so confident that our present lifetime isn't the first time we are encountering the Vajrayana teachings?
Probably because we can encounter Vajrayana for the first time only once, yet we can encounter it again many times. Thus, in terms of probability, the second one is more likely?[/quote]
Hmm, you might be right, but they sound like they're so confident that not even one person in the audience is encountering Vajrayana for the first time. It's this fact that I find strange.
Perhaps this is because Vajrayana isn't part of the culture in the west so we each had to seek it out actively? It wasn't just like "Oh, yeah, my uncle's a monk in Buddhist monstery XYZ" for us.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Infinity streches back infinitely too. Since there is no beginning point, since existence is cyclic, any time can be the first, second, third... and/or the last.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

So when someone leaves Vajrayana, they are not leaving it for the first time?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yup! Old habits die hard! :tongue:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hmm, I wonder if I could skip empowerments by claiming past life memories of them.

Joking of course..this idea actually resonates with me, then again if I examine my baggage it seems like i've held all kinds of beliefs before this life, some which seem utterly foreign to me now, and some of which resonate now.

One thing as far as this goes, Vajrayana is very weird by the standards of most westerners, so perhaps that's how the make the claim with some confidence? That the fact that you are lined up with something so foreign to your own culture.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Luke wrote:One thing I have frequently heard lamas say is that we encounter Vajrayana teachings because we practiced Vajrayana in past lives.
I don't think we need to take such statements in an overly literal way.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Luke

Post by Luke »

dzogchungpa wrote: I don't think we need to take such statements in an overly literal way.
Then what do you think is a better way of interpreting them? I don't see them as being metaphorical...

Is it just intentional hyberbole in order for lamas to sound exciting?
An eager pracititioner in the audience then thinks, "Hey! I practiced Vajrayana in many of my past lives! That is just SO AWESOME! I love this lama!" :D
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Luke wrote:Then what do you think is a better way of interpreting them? I don't see them as being metaphorical...

Is it just intentional hyberbole in order for lamas to sound exciting?
An eager pracititioner in the audience then thinks, "Hey! I practiced Vajrayana in many of my past lives! That is just SO AWESOME! I love this lama!" :D
Well, I can't speak for any Lamas, but it could just be as you describe. More seriously, it could mean that as a result of experiences in past lives, you are a "Vajrayana kind of person" or whatever. At any rate, I think the main point they are trying to get across is that if you are drawn to Vajrayana and have the opportunity to learn about it, that is probably the result of karma from past lives, and you should consider yourself fortunate and feel encouraged to continue. Something like that.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Luke wrote: Why are lamas always so confident that our present lifetime isn't the first time we are encountering the Vajrayana teachings?
Some of them can see the interconnections. However most can't and don't. Encountering Vajrayana for the first time ever would be as rare as the old man who wanted to become a monk but the leading Arhats refused to admit him to the sangha because they couldn't find any wholesome roots in him. Only the Buddha could. Encountering Vajrayana for the first time would be similarly rare. Where is this explained? I'm not sure actually.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

It engenders a sense of coming home ~ of returning to the source.

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

... and it gives the assessment that this life is something precious, gained out of good deeds in the past. It encourages to collect merrits in this lifetime again. :smile:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I think it's a combination of what Johnny and Ayu said. Most Lamas likely assume that most of the audience have practiced Secret Mantra in past lives because they are westerners who are drawn to something outside of their cultural world view. Also, if there are some people in the audience who are practicing Secret Mantra for the first time, well then it will act as encouragement.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Edit:

Actually I did read the original post.

Never mind though, as what I was talking about should probably not be discussed too much on open forums....
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You obviously did not read the OP.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”