Buddhism in Singapore?

Buddhism in Singapore?

Postby Luke » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am

I haven't heard anyone on this forum discuss Buddhism in Singapore yet.

So what is the Buddhist scene like in Singapore? Is it thriving? Are there any monasteries there? Can foreigners ordain as monks/nuns there? etc.
Luke

Re: Buddhism in Singapore?

Postby Luke » Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 am

I also remember reading that the great lama Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche died when his plane landed in Singapore and that he felt a special connection to the place. He often led the million mani retreat there (I think he also may have started the event, but I'm not sure).

http://drubwangrinpoche.preciousteaching.org/
Luke

Postby greentara » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

There's a well known Theravadin Monk called Dhammika living in Singapore, he's originally from Australia and I've heard him talk off and on over the years. I suspect Singaporean Buddhism could be quite middle class and perhaps a bit bland but then again I could be wrong.
greentara

Postby Astus » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Here's a virtual tour of a monastery, as an example of traditional Chinese Buddhist structure, in Singapore: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/temple/temple.html
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Luke » Thu May 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for the links, plwk. The video was interesting. The Singapore Census article shows that Buddhism seems to be in decline in Singapore and that the younger generation there is giving it up. That's sad, but this seems to be the trend in many Asian countries these days (such as in Mongolia).
Luke

Postby Kim O'Hara » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Piya Tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piya_Tan is another leading teacher in Singapore.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Dodatsu » Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 am

Luke wrote:I haven't heard anyone on this forum discuss Buddhism in Singapore yet.

So what is the Buddhist scene like in Singapore? Is it thriving? Are there any monasteries there? Can foreigners ordain as monks/nuns there? etc.

I'm a Buddhist from Singapore though currently living and studying in Japan. There are monasteries and temples of all the 3 major traditions, 75% of the population is ethically Chinese so the majority of temples and centers are predominantly Chinese Mahayana but there are also a big number of Theravada and Vajrayana centers. Most of the tertiary institutions also have Dharma circles likew National University of Singapore Buddhist Society etc but compared to 2 decades ago, the membership in these circles has gone down, mainly due to the withdrawal of religious education in schools that was done in the 80s to early 90s. Most younger people are either non-religious or Christian but many of the temples also have youth groups, some very vibrant (like Buddhist Fellowship and Bright Hill Monastery). As for the population census, do take it with a pinch of salt because during the last census done a decade ago, many of those who believe in Chinese Folk Religion(s) also called themselves "Buddhists".
Contemplating the power of Tathagata's Primal Vow,
One sees that no foolish being who encounters it passes by in vain.
When a person single-heartedly practices the saying of the Name alone,
It brings quickly to fullness and perfection [in that person] the great treasure ocean of true and real virtues.
- Shinran Shonin
Dodatsu

Postby Son of Buddha » Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 am

Dodatsu wrote:
Luke wrote:I haven't heard anyone on this forum discuss Buddhism in Singapore yet.

Most younger people are either non-religious or Christian

how did that come about?
and what is being done to educate the youth about Buddhism?
Son of Buddha

Postby Luke » Fri May 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Dodatsu wrote:I'm a Buddhist from Singapore though currently living and studying in Japan.

That's cool. What do you think are the main similarities and differences between the two countries?
Luke

Postby Dodatsu » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Son of Buddha wrote:
Dodatsu wrote:

Most younger people are either non-religious or Christian

how did that come about?
and what is being done to educate the youth about Buddhism?

Non-religiosity amongst youth is common everywhere, not only in Singapore. As for Christianity, well, it basically boils down to the mega-churches and peer influence, the latter playing a very big role actually. I actually became a Buddhist also due to peer influence (was baptized Anglican/Episcopal as an infant). Some of the Buddhist centers that have youth groups do organize Buddhist camps during the June and December school holidays to reach out to other youth but it cannot be still cannot be compared to the mega-churches that put in more time, money and effort.
It brings quickly to fullness and perfection [in that person] the great treasure ocean of true and real virtues.
- Shinran Shonin
Dodatsu

Postby Son of Buddha » Sat May 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Hey Dodatsu

Do you plan on going back to Signapore and laying down some Jodo Shinshu roots there?
Son of Buddha

Postby Dodatsu » Sun May 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Son of Buddha wrote:Hey Dodatsu

Do you plan on going back to Signapore and laying down some Jodo Shinshu roots there?

Yes
- Shinran Shonin
Dodatsu

Postby Son of Buddha » Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 am

Dodatsu wrote:
Son of Buddha wrote:Hey Dodatsu

Yes

Good to hear
Are you becoming a Jodo Shinshu priest?or are you going to start your own pureland Sangha there based on Shinrans teachings?
Son of Buddha

Postby plwk » Thu May 09, 2013 3:05 am

plwk

Return to East Asian Buddhism