Mandarava practice

jay

Mandarava practice

Post by jay »

I would like to do mandarava practice and have received transmission via the webcast (at the end of the retreats).

I have seen a few books at shang shung- but do not know which one i should get? There is also a dvd available.
Do i need to have been on a mandarava retreat before i can properly do the pratice?
heart

Re: Mandarava practice

Post by heart »

jay wrote:I would like to do mandarava practice and have received transmission via the webcast (at the end of the retreats).

I have seen a few books at shang shung- but do not know which one i should get? There is also a dvd available.
Do i need to have been on a mandarava retreat before i can properly do the pratice?
No, you can start practice now but a retreat is certainly recommended.

Here is the practice text: http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=117
Here is a commentary: http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=116

That get you started. It is a great practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks magnus, that is really helpful. I may also get the dvd to help.

In the shang shung calendar, for increasing protective capacity it says to do sitatapatra sutra and amitayus sutra, Do you know if you need empowerment for sitatapatra sutra? Never heard ChNN give that one before.
heart

Post by heart »

jay wrote:Thanks magnus, that is really helpful. I may also get the dvd to help.

In the shang shung calendar, for increasing protective capacity it says to do sitatapatra sutra and amitayus sutra, Do you know if you need empowerment for sitatapatra sutra? Never heard ChNN give that one before.
If it is a sutra a "lung" would suffice, but I never heard Rinpoche give that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

jay wrote:Thanks magnus, that is really helpful. I may also get the dvd to help.

I've heard that you can recite sutras without lung, although the lung is helpful.
pawel

Post by pawel »

Best if you can also get the root text http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=118 , and both the dvds, or at least the earlier one where the whole of the practice is explained in detail and then Longsal Vol 8 (this is related with the later dvd).
Best wishes for your practice. You can learn from the materials very well. Also the collective practices of Mandarava Ganapuja that are organized regularly via webcast can be very helpful to master singing and pronunciation.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You don't need a lung for the mantra as it is from the Shurangama Sutra. I imagine you will need a lung for the sadhana/practice text though. For self generation you will definitely require the empowerment.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

if you're a member there are explantation of the mudras videos, a practise video and a copy of the practise text on the webcast site.

Return to “Dzogchen”