Meditation Cushion

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mikeliegler

Meditation Cushion

Post by Mikeliegler »

Can someone make a suggestion or advice to a handicapped newbie on selecting a meditation cushion. I have Peripheral neuropathy in my legs and would have a very hard time trying to fold my legs.
florin

Re: Meditation Cushion

Post by florin »

Mikeliegler wrote:Can someone make a suggestion or advice to a handicapped newbie on selecting a meditation cushion. I have Peripheral neuropathy in my legs and would have a very hard time trying to fold my legs.
No cushion will get rid of the discomfort of sitting cross legged if there is no enough flexibility.
It can be reduced though by the hight ,firmness of the cushion but you will still be left with the problem of your condition.

After all , If sitting cross legged it is too painful it will distract you from the object of sitting and in this case is better to sit in a chair with the back straight.
Having the Back straight is more important than legs.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Many cushions that you see are much too low. One traditional recommendation is that when you are sitting on it, it should be about as high as the four knuckles of your own hand (the second joint down from the tip of your finger) when you make a clenched fist.
Part of the problem is that modern synthetic cushions are often much softer than old ones. If it is stuffed with something like horsehair or coconut fibre it doesn't collapse nearly as much.
Using a cushion that is high enough makes a huge difference to most people. Obviously I can't comment on your particular difficulty.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

Thank you very kindly. I will go with a chair then. I have been doing this laying down as that is the most comparable position for me. I can only sit for so long and then the pain starts to set in. :thanks:
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Yup. Meditate with as much comfort as you can, without falling asleep!
Floor siting is not required. Comfortable, but not over stuffed chairs work
quite well if your back is supported to remain erect.
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

ngodrup wrote:Yup. Meditate with as much comfort as you can, without falling asleep!
Floor siting is not required. Comfortable, but not over stuffed chairs work
quite well if your back is supported to remain erect.
How about laying down? Will work with the flow of breathing and the three channels? :shrug:
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

I have heard from my teachers that shine and lhatong can be done laying down.
Presumably deity yoga could work. But completion stage yogas involving the three
main channels-- I have not heard that. Specifically, in Tummo, emphasis is placed
on posture. It seems in Dzogchen, threkchod especially, again no issue with laying
down, but there are specific dzogchen practices where specific postures again are
very important. So it is hard to make broad generalizations that apply across the
board. None of this yogic stuff would also directly apply to Sutra Mahayana practices
(eg. contemplations on suffering, aspiring to benefit, tong-len, etc), or other kinds
of purification or merit making practices such as tantric ngondro. The main point
is to cultivate wisdom and compassion... you know?
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

I would recommend a kneeling chair like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneeling_chair
http://sitincomfort.com/knchhaknch.html

It keeps your back relaxed and straight while not requiring crossed legs. Lying down can lead quite quickly to drowsiness.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Mikeliegler wrote:Can someone make a suggestion or advice to a handicapped newbie on selecting a meditation cushion. I have Peripheral neuropathy in my legs and would have a very hard time trying to fold my legs.
I wouldn't use a cushion if i were you, but a suitable chair instead. Cushions and sitting on the floor are hard for a lot of people, especially raised in the west sitting on chairs our whole lives. Its not 100% necessary to be able to sit on the floor to do practise.
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”