Hi everybody

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
LionelChen

Hi everybody

Post by LionelChen »

Hello - my name is Lionel (folks just call me Leon), from Maryland in the US.

As you can probably guess, I am Chinese, my family was once upon a time Buddhist until around the early half of the 20th century.

I guess you can say i'm the one attempting to reconnect with a bit of this heritage, although to be honest much of my interest lays in Vajrayana instead of EA Buddhism.

I'm academic by nature and a bit shy - so allow me to both confess my ignorance and ask for your collective kindness.

:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Hi everybody

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel Lionel, I hope you find what you are looking for.

You do know that there is a form of East Asian Vajrayana in Japan known as Shingon and that Vajrayana was practiced and taught in China by Tibetan Lama ( refer here ), so maybe you are not as outside the bounds of your heritage as you may believe. ;) The lines are not so clear sometimes.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
LionelChen

Post by LionelChen »

gregkavarnos wrote:Welcome to Dharma Wheel Lionel, I hope you find what you are looking for.

You do know that there is a form of East Asian Vajrayana in Japan known as Shingon and that Vajrayana was practiced and taught in China by Tibetan Lama ( refer here ), so maybe you are not as outside the bounds of your heritage as you may believe. ;) The lines are not so clear sometimes.
Thank you for your kind welcome Mr. Kavarnos.

It is funny that you should mention that. My re-introduction to Buddhism came about because of an encounter with Tendai Buddhism. That lead me to Kukai and I guess upon pondering Kukai toward Vajrayana.

But well, I think I need to learn how to walk first before I run. ;)
dyanaprajna2011

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear that you're wanting to reconnect (the literal Latin meaning of religion :p ) with Buddhism. As it has been pointed out, Vajrayana was practiced in China, although it's since become all but dead, and still is in Japan. I'm sure you'll find some way to get involved with Buddhism. And the people here are a great help towards that goal.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi, Welcome to DharmaWheel! I've enjoyed our conversations so far.

Return to “Introductions”