Suffering

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Cloudrider

Suffering

Postby Cloudrider » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 pm

KathyLauren

Re: Suffering

Postby KathyLauren » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:00 am

Looking for first causes is a perspective of Western religions. In Buddhism, we recognize that it is a futile search that takes you in circles.

So, instead of looking for the causes of the causes, look at the proximate cause: Your (or my) suffering is caused by your (or my) anger, ignorance and greed. Looking beyond that is an intellectual head-game that the mind dreams up to distract you from the solution. The solution is to deal with those three poisons.

These are not external entities that have infected us. They are things that we DO. By our actions (thoughts are actions too), we behave angrily; we behave ignorantly; we behave greedily. We do them because we choose to, because we are not aware of their effects. Buddhism teaches us the relationship of cause and effect, so that we can un-learn these behaviours and stop doing them.

Let someone else figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Our task is more real.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 am

I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm

KathyLauren

Postby KathyLauren » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:31 am

Monlam Tharchin

Postby Monlam Tharchin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 am

on hiatus since September, 2017

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 am

"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 am

NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Bodhidharma [my translation]
―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 pm

muni

Postby muni » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

When Dharma is taken merely as things to know, for sure suffering keeps rolling.
Isn't it said that when the aspect Compassion/Devotion or LOVE is lacking, there is no Wisdom arising from itself? Then I suppose even I study for the rest of my life the most profound amazing wow philosophies ever seen and who they wrote and how so and so, nature can remain clouded by such.

Knowing as method to be free, cannot be respected enough. Life is short. Therefore not to contradict the need for knowing/knowledge, as tool I guess, to be liberated out of our clinging constructs.
The most complex spider web is nothing compared by the complexity of the suffering constructing mind.

Bodhichitta - equanimity.

:anjali:

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 pm

What about LOVE? Perhaps, this will be 'a good' next area of inquiry since it seems all the rage these days. I believe far too much importance is placed on this mental state rather than just understanding it as it is - an emotion and an highly over-rated one at that. I suppose the greatest attractor is the truism, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." As well as the peacefulness that comes about as a result of it but this somehow seems false to my mind. I much rather think a state of emotionlessness, no love, no hate, no nothing would seem to the best, but what to do I know?

Thank for the thoughts.

Koji

Postby Koji » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 pm

In regard to suffering the Buddha rejected annihilationism and eternalism. Annihilationism is the belief that suffering is created param katam, by another (the accidental fact). Eternalism is the belief that suffering is created sayam katam, by oneself (the inherent fact) (cp SN 12:17).

PadmaVonSamba

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 am

Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:34 am

One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:03 am

In Buddhism loving kindness and compassion are not emotions, but descriptive of a certain relationship with sentient beings, I don't remember the exact teaching, but compassion relates to empathy you feel towards being suffering in the ocean of existence, whereas loving kindness is the wish that they be happy and free of that suffering. That may be a little off but that's the gist of it.

Anyway, on the ontological bit, there is much more to question of how stuff exists..but basically, in reality nothing is ever created of destroyed, so looking for first causes is absurd in a Buddhist context, that's dependent origination.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 am

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:32 am

Cloudrider

Postby Cloudrider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 am

muni