In Search of a Teacher

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

In Search of a Teacher

Postby timmy113 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 am

I am currently deployed and am looking for someone to help guide me in my buddhist practice. I have looked articles online, have a ton of reading on my kindle, and am currently meditating atleast once a day (when I am able that is). I'm finding it hard to really start though. The internet is great but it has Too much info. Could someone help me please.
timmy113

Re: In Search of a Teacher

Postby Astus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 am

Are you looking specifically for a Zen teacher or just any Buddhist teacher? For a start, you may check what Buddhist communities are available in your area.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby timmy113 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm not set on any particular form of Buddhism. Right now I'm deployed to Afghanistan and am not near any buddhist center.
timmy113

Postby timmy113 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Thank you to whoever put my post in the right area!!!!
timmy113

Postby philji » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

A very good tibetan teacher named Lopon Kalsang Dorje sometimes visits Afghanistan in his role as Buddhist chaplain mainly to the Gurkhas...maybe speak to some Gurkhas out there to see if they know him...
philji

Postby dude » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm

If you meditate once a day, have plenty to read, and read what you have every day with discipline, you're already practicing. Your teacher will appear near you at the right time.
dude

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Timmy,

If you are looking for some essential ideas which are at the heart of Buddhism, then the "four seals of dharma" describe exactly that.
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?o ... ew&id=1814

If you want to try reciting the classic Buddhist mantra Om Mani Padme Hum as a meditation, here is a short video about it.

Good luck and stay safe!
Luke

Postby sakko » Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi,
try to find the three part of the Pali-Canon. The first one is the Middle Collection with the story about the beginning of Buddhism.
The second part is the longer collection, called the Dighanikayo and is about the late G.Buddho and his death.
The third bookis about the songs of nuns and monks.
I would like to recommend the Dighaikayo for you. Look out for the translation of an scientist of Pali-Canon. Maybe you ask an indologist at a university.

sakko
sakko

Postby lobster » Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 am

If you type in
Zen forum International
in Google
you should find something that has an 'ask the teacher' section

Good luck and don't meet too many Buddhas on the road . . . :smile:
lobster

Postby ttnyc » Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 am

I was also searching for a teacher and never found one I could meet with in person on a regular basis. What I did instead is immerse myself in the teachings of the teacher I felt most connection with. First this was Pema Chodron, then I found Ven. Thubten Chodron. Her web site is excellent and she posts teachings often. From reading her books and watching these teachings that are posted almost daily, I feel she's my teacher, even though I don't ever see her in person.
http://www.sravastiabbey.org/
http://www.youtube.com/user/sravastiabbey
http://blip.tv/sravastiabbey
ttnyc

Postby lobster » Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 am

timmy113 wrote:I'm not set on any particular form of Buddhism. Right now I'm deployed to Afghanistan and am not near any buddhist center.

Don't the armed services provide chaplaincy for those wishing to deploy Buddhism? Must do. Worth checking with your chaplain. :meditate:
lobster

Return to Exploring Buddhism