In Search of a Teacher

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
timmy113

In Search of a Teacher

Post by timmy113 »

I am currently deployed and am looking for someone to help guide me in my buddhist practice. I have looked articles online, have a ton of reading on my kindle, and am currently meditating atleast once a day (when I am able that is). I'm finding it hard to really start though. The internet is great but it has Too much info. Could someone help me please.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: In Search of a Teacher

Post by Astus »

Are you looking specifically for a Zen teacher or just any Buddhist teacher? For a start, you may check what Buddhist communities are available in your area.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
timmy113

Post by timmy113 »

I'm not set on any particular form of Buddhism. Right now I'm deployed to Afghanistan and am not near any buddhist center.
timmy113

Post by timmy113 »

Thank you to whoever put my post in the right area!!!!
philji

Post by philji »

A very good tibetan teacher named Lopon Kalsang Dorje sometimes visits Afghanistan in his role as Buddhist chaplain mainly to the Gurkhas...maybe speak to some Gurkhas out there to see if they know him...
dude

Post by dude »

If you meditate once a day, have plenty to read, and read what you have every day with discipline, you're already practicing. Your teacher will appear near you at the right time.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hi Timmy,

If you are looking for some essential ideas which are at the heart of Buddhism, then the "four seals of dharma" describe exactly that.
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?o ... ew&id=1814

If you want to try reciting the classic Buddhist mantra Om Mani Padme Hum as a meditation, here is a short video about it.
phpBB [video]

Good luck and stay safe!
sakko

Post by sakko »

Hi,
try to find the three part of the Pali-Canon. The first one is the Middle Collection with the story about the beginning of Buddhism.
The second part is the longer collection, called the Dighanikayo and is about the late G.Buddho and his death.
The third bookis about the songs of nuns and monks.
I would like to recommend the Dighaikayo for you. Look out for the translation of an scientist of Pali-Canon. Maybe you ask an indologist at a university.

sakko
lobster

Post by lobster »

If you type in
Zen forum International
in Google
you should find something that has an 'ask the teacher' section

Good luck and don't meet too many Buddhas on the road . . . :smile:
ttnyc

Post by ttnyc »

I was also searching for a teacher and never found one I could meet with in person on a regular basis. What I did instead is immerse myself in the teachings of the teacher I felt most connection with. First this was Pema Chodron, then I found Ven. Thubten Chodron. Her web site is excellent and she posts teachings often. From reading her books and watching these teachings that are posted almost daily, I feel she's my teacher, even though I don't ever see her in person.
http://www.sravastiabbey.org/
http://www.youtube.com/user/sravastiabbey
http://blip.tv/sravastiabbey
lobster

Post by lobster »

timmy113 wrote:I'm not set on any particular form of Buddhism. Right now I'm deployed to Afghanistan and am not near any buddhist center.
Don't the armed services provide chaplaincy for those wishing to deploy Buddhism? Must do. Worth checking with your chaplain. :meditate:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”