Dharma Gossip

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Silent Bob

Dharma Gossip

Post by Silent Bob »

How about a forum specifically for "dharma gossip", dishing all the dirt, real or fictitious, on teachers and organizations? It would draw the Bottom-Feeders and might clean up the board a bit for everyone else. ;) ;) ;)

Chris
Last edited by Silent Bob on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
dharmagoat

Re: Dharma Gossip

Post by dharmagoat »

It might just bring in more bottom-feeders to feed on our bottoms.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Like the three-story outhouse, an idea ahead of its time
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

If only such people spent as much as on the meditation cushion...
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Huseng wrote:If only such people spent as much as on the meditation cushion...
Yea. One can always exercise their right to dismiss posts and threads they aren't interested in.
adiliu88

Post by adiliu88 »

Huseng wrote:If only such people spent as much as on the meditation cushion...
yeah dude you are absolutely right.. :popcorn:
HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty »

i think it's a good and needed idea. make the forum private so only members can see it. i think threads like these are necessary to help steer people clear from certain teachers/groups that may not be practicing what they preach.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

On other forums with this kind of thing has actually worked out quite well when moderated correctly, at least in terms of making fraud, etc. demonstrable to new people. It can get out of hand and become a kind of blind crusading though.

There have been a few martial arts forums that implemented a (very well moderated) sub forum for fraud and abuse that have ended up directly being used as a resource in a positive way. I assume the key is good rules for moderation. usualy what happens though is the aggrieved party shows up to "defend" themselves online, and often in the process it's easy for people to suss out where they stand. I don't think it's a bad suggestion if it can be moderated well.

The more you do stuff like this though, the more it requires transparency on the part of users and moderators, things like asking people to use real names etc...I imagine it's harder to moderate with a more transient and anonymous user base.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Silent Bob wrote:How about a forum specifically for "dharma gossip", dishing all the dirt, real or fictitious, on teachers and organizations? It would draw the Bottom-Feeders and might clean up the board a bit for everyone else. ;) ;) ;)

Chris
For the benefit of those who didn't 'get it', my suggestion was made in jest, hence all the emoticons. I was making reference to the unhealthy fascination that such gossip seems to hold for so many. So, once again--it was not a real suggestion, merely a reflection of my distaste and I should perhaps have kept it to myself.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

On that note:
Rusty Lock.jpg
Rusty Lock.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Suggestion Box”