Curiosity about rebirth

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
barcsimalsi

Curiosity about rebirth

Postby barcsimalsi » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:16 pm

The word Nirvana seems out of reach to me right now so i just want to know more detail about a healthy rebirth.

I heard from monk that how we are born different and the kamma that causes it. For instant, born rich because of constant donation done in the past life, born ugly because of furious behavior in the past life, born with high intelligence because of keeping a good mindfulness from the past life...

So far that i'm into buddhism, never have came across the explanation of what bad kamma that causes a person to be born with higher level of lust and temper that will eventually contribute to more bad kamma. It won't help to say that is his fate or destiny he was born to be bad and burn in hell...Like Devadatta who learn everything from the buddha but was overpowered by his own lust and greed that brought him no where but hell.

Anyone can help explain what's the cause?

chownah

Re: Curiosity about rebirth

Postby chownah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 am

barcsimalsi,
Different people have different ideas about how kamma and rebirth work. You will not find a nice, simple, direct answer to this that is agreed on generally. If you look around you will find these different ideas and eventually you will have to decide for yourself what to think about it.
chownah

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:57 am

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas[1] is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...[2]

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

The precise workings of kamma is not something to speculate about. Better to just focus on eradicating any current unwholesome states.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:54 am

Kamma is not fatalism nor determinism. The view that everything happens because of a past cause is a serious wrong view called Pubbekatahetuditthi. Past kamma is very significant because it determines where we are reborn, whether we are wealthy, healthy, intelligent, good-looking, etc. It also determines many of the trials that we have to face in life, and the family and society that we are born into, which have a very powerful influence on our lives. The law of dependent origination says that because of not understanding the truth of suffering we continue to roll around in the cycle of existence, blinded by ignorance and driven by craving. In this existence too, we continue to make kammas (sankhara) that will give rise to more existences in the future.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Fede

Postby Fede » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:45 am

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”