Intro to zazen by Harada Roshi

Luke

Intro to zazen by Harada Roshi

Post by Luke »

"...But if we have already got really used to zazen, then no matter if we work or sit in zazen, our state of mind won't be moved around so easily anymore. When we refer to this state, we say 'the place of practice is limitless.' We hardly see any difference between moving, working, and sitting in silence. Such is the calm mind. With such mind, we gain a broader perspective, a perspective on our environment. This is one of the most important things in zazen.

Therefore, we seek not only our own happiness, instead calmly looking at the circumstances surrounding us, we regard our environment as our companion, and we are able to maintain a calm and peaceful state. Zazen means developing this kind of humanity. Seeking only our own happiness is not zazen.

Putting the mind in order in a way whereby it becomes the foundation of our whole life: that is zazen..."

--Taigen Shodo Harada Roshi

phpBB [video]
Luke

Re: Intro to zazen by Harada Roshi

Post by Luke »

I found the above video by Harada Roshi very beautiful and inspiring and full of bodhichitta. Zen is sometimes stereotyped as something mysterious for people who are obsessed with their own enlightenment, but here Harada Roshi makes it clear that he is very concerned about the happiness of other people.

The last line he says is "I wish from the heart that zazen puts down deep roots in your lives." :anjali:
Luke

Re: Intro to zazen by Harada Roshi

Post by Luke »

I also found it interesting how his discussion of chi in the body coming down through the top of the head and up from below while doing zazen was basically a tantric theory of prana. Some Zen teachers talk about this, some don't, but all seem to agree on the importance of good meditation posture (which has these things implicit in it, I think).

Return to “Zen”