Non-tantric sleep practices

Non-tantric sleep practices

Postby bulhaeng » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi :)

I have a question - have you heard about sleep practices in EA buddhism? I remember Ven. Yin Shun mentioning visualizing white light berfore falling asleep. Does anyone know more about this? What school or scripture does it come from? What's its purpose?

Thanks,
Piotr
bulhaeng

Re: Non-tantric sleep practices

Postby Kaji » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:12 am

bulhaeng wrote:Hi :)

I have a question - have you heard about sleep practices in EA buddhism? I remember Ven. Yin Shun mentioning visualizing white light berfore falling asleep. Does anyone know more about this? What school or scripture does it come from? What's its purpose?

Thanks,
Piotr

Yes, I have.

In the Amitayurdhyana Sutra, the first contemplation, that of a setting sun can be used not only as a Pure Land practice, but also as a contemplation before going to sleep. According to Nan Huai-Chin, the Vinaya School of Chinese Buddhism teaches practitioners to use this contemplation to reduce the desire and need for sleep.

Nan Huai-Chin and some other Buddhist teachers including some monks have taught a Buddhist posture for sleeping - 吉祥臥, translated as auspicious lying - the same posture of the sleeping Buddha. Some information can be found in http://www.wikipedia123.com/Wikipedia-6 ... lying.html
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Kaji

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I once read a few lines by Dogen which suggested that he was talking about maintaining awareness (like one does in shikantaza) even while asleep, but I forget which book it was in.
Luke

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 am

In a month or so, Lama Choedak Rinpoche (based in Canberra) is offering this workshop to all who wish to attend:
Amitabha Sleeping Yoga

Quality sleep is one of the four essential daily activities. Most people sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day – a third of their lifespan – yet many suffer from sleep deprivation, unable to sleep well and are often tired during the day. They may lie in bed, but are too frenetic or anxious to rest properly. People who do not sleep well are often short-tempered, forgetful and lack mindfulness.
The Buddha taught meditation applicable to all four types of human activity: sitting, standing, walking and lying down. Combining meditation with the preparations for going to sleep is a form of the discipline of meditation called sleeping yoga. The teachings on Amitabha Sleeping Yoga have been handed down as an unbroken transmission by great the Tibetan Sakya masters, and this is the first time that Lama Choedak Rinpoche has offered these teachings as a workshop. By receiving the special instructions on this practice, you will learn the powerful skill of sleeping well without resorting to other means, e.g. sleeping pills, and many positive changes to your waking hours will result.

Khenpo Kalsang Gyaltsen (also Sakya tradition) also teaches it - see http://www.sakyatemple.org/spl/events.html - and you can even find it on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhBDseq3c0.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Return to East Asian Buddhism