Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stuck in a limbo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am 

I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world. But since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

WHat would you do?

Post subject: Re: Stuck in a limbo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 am 

Music wrote:
I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world.

Then, what do you mean by "like" if you never experienced it? :shrug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 am 
Global Moderator

It is said, what the mind is considering, there it is drawn to.

So, to regard this world as a prison is an important step. But there will be a next step: to consider freedom.

In my life right now, i find equanimity and the feeling of emptyness as means to a freedom in my heart. It is like a small hole that widens and there is a feeling of lightness, freedom, ...
Good is the meditation about "Who am I ?", "Where to find this I exactly?"
The method is to calm down by Shamata, fixed concentration on one object - an then after some training of that, when the mind becomes really calm, look at these questions.
That is "what i would do". :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am 
Former staff member

Look at the prison. Examine the nature of the prison. Look at why I hate the prison. Examine my feelings. Examine the nature of my feelings. Look at my mind (the source of the feelings). Examine the nature of my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 pm 

Ajahn Brahm wrote a book which I hear is very relevant to this situation. It is called Who Ordered this Truckload of Dung?. You will find details on Amazon.

:anjali:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm 

Everything is a prison to some degree or extent. I don't believe any true freedom can be achieved while on Earth. It seems from my experience that the simple act of living is comparable to a mouse in maze seeking the cheese. :tongue:
For some reason I keep thinking of the movie the Matrix where Morpheus says, "It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth... That you are a slave, Neo." Even the whole red pill blue pill dichotomy reminds me of Buddhist parable about enlightenment where one before carries a bucket to fill with water and then after one carries a bucket to fill with water?!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

Music wrote:
I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world.

To re-iterate, do you think you've experienced anything this-worldly enough to know whether or not you like it?
Music wrote:
since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

For me atleast, a state of 'prison' is a kind of inversion of shunyata, in which all meaningful possibilities are blocked off by the force of habitual tendencies or what have you. I can't see how 'being stuck in a world' (my emphasis) can really mean anything, but on the other hand, the kind of impenetrable nothingness I'm talking about is by definition a 'stuck-y' state. As far as 'freedom to leave' goes, I guess it would be more a case of the apparent solidity dissolving as the causes of such an experience cease replicating, but the tricky thing with suffering is that hating it replicates it - self-evidently. I genuinely wonder if it's better to reflect on the impermanence, uselessness, and lack of necessity of suffering, since bald acceptance as a motivation for meditative investigations such as this:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Look at the prison. Examine the nature of the prison. Look at why I hate the prison. Examine my feelings. Examine the nature of my feelings. Look at my mind (the source of the feelings). Examine the nature of my mind.
always seems a tall order.

Going back to 'this world', I wonder if it's only the enlightened who are truly 'in' it, since the faculties of other beings -by definition- are clouded by their own private agenda..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm 

There is no such thing as enlightenment - at least I haven't seen it or read it or observed it in others. All there is, for all intensive purposes, is increased or more effective coping skills.

In the famous words of Frank Zappa,

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm 

Music wrote:
I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world. But since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

WHat would you do?

Find a Buddhist teacher who can teach you meditation and give you other Buddhist teachings.

If you transform your mind in a positive way, it will seem like the "outer world" becomes more positive as well.