Conflict and Violence

Anything goes (almost).

Conflict and Violence

Postby Jikan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_c4

For Thailand's Queen Sikrisit, the 2007 attack on a minibus in southern Thailand's Yala province -- in which suspected Muslim militants shot eight Buddhists through the head in broad daylight -- was simply further proof of what she'd been saying for more than three years.

"We have to help people there to survive. If they need to be trained, train them. If they need to be armed, arm them," she was quoted as saying by one of her military staff, according to media reports.

Meanwhile, Thailand was convulsed by demonstrations condemning the attack.

Her response was to boost her support for the Or Ror Bor or Village Protection Force, the militia the Royal Aide-de-Camp department, under Queen Sirikit's direction, established in 2004.

Unlike other militia in the strife-torn region, whose make up reflects the local demographic, the Or Ror Bor is exclusively Buddhist, is often stationed near temple compounds and is tasked with protecting Buddhist communities.

What do you think of Queen Sikrisit's position on this?
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: Conflict and Violence

Postby Indrajala » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Would deterrence prevent or reduce such killings?
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: Conflict and Violence

Postby Jikan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Indrajala wrote:Would deterrence prevent or reduce such killings?

I don't know. I don't know enough about this situation to answer that one intelligently.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to Lounge