Buddhism Tradition

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
buddhafame

Buddhism Tradition

Post by buddhafame »

Hello All,

I am from Nepal and I think I should gain some knowledge on Buddhism now. I don't have any deeper knowledge on Buddhism and its tradition. As for now I have thought of joining all the Buddha followers around the globe and their knowledge through my newly created website, I think I should start learning everything from the level zero about Buddhism. I never knew about Buddhism Tradition. I thought Buddha is one and Buddhism is what we follow. But as the time went on and I started to explore things about Buddha and Buddhism online, I found there were so many traditions in Buddhism such Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana and all. So, please help me to grow my knowledge on Buddhism and everything I should know about Buddhism. I can't go to university or monasteries to learn from them as I have my job to do to fill my belly. I hope I can get a lot more help from you all.

Regards,

Gaurav
Buddha Fame - An online magazine about Buddha and Buddhism.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Buddhism Tradition

Post by Ayu »

What you read about dharma in ancient scriptures, you should meditate it also. It is understood by contemplation. A merely intellectual understanding leads to confusion.
I wish you success. :smile:
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Buddhism Tradition

Post by kirtu »

Hello Buddhfame - in order to learn about Buddhism from the zero level please make sure that you know the lifestory of Shakyamuni Buddha well from both the Theravadin and Mahayana perspectives. It is from this slightly differing views that threads can be found that help explain the evolution over time of all the Buddhist traditions.

One life story can be found here and there are several others (I particularly like Thich Naht Hanh's "Old Path, White Clouds").

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”