YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - Dhamma Wheel

"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
jonnyk92x

"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Postby jonnyk92x » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:14 am

So much deeper than simply afraid you will never be happy for eternity. I am this fear in great depth so I understand it with so much meaning but what does this mean to you?
Last edited by jonnyk92x on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: "Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:15 am

Greetings,

It doesn't mean much to me, sorry.

Nor do I see the connection to Theravada... so until then, off to the Lounge we go.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

jonnyk92x

Postby jonnyk92x » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:21 am

To me the religion is about conquering your deepest fears and growing from them but I feel stuck in the depths of darkness at times. I was looking for some advice with the buddhist point of view but I already know I'm probably the only person here that can help myself. But asking is all I can do to give myself hope of being helped.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:27 am

Greetings,

To me, religion is about happiness and cessation of suffering.

If one became powerful enough to achieve this, then all power to them... I see no cause for fear in this.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:40 am

I asked a zen monk if the Bodhisattva vow was selfish because it implied I had the power and importance to liberate all living beings. He laughed his sly laugh and said, "Scott, you greatly underestimate yourself. You do have the power to liberate all living beings." It gave me exactly the kind of fear you seem to be referring to. There's the fear of wasting this power, or of what little inner demons might pop out when you realize you have such power. It is a bit terrifying, but I stopped worrying about it. I don't think it comes up in Theravada. Sorry that probably wasn't very helpful, but maybe at least you have somebody that relates to what you're going through.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

jonnyk92x

Postby jonnyk92x » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:52 am

thank you yes thats what i needed is someone that can relate to me. and im glad you got over that fear and i have faith and hope that i will get through it too its just so powerful that it doesnt seem possible. the difference is though is he told you about the power and you must of felt it in order for it to frighten you. for me i feel it so deeply and wholesomely. its so hard to explain but i feel stuck just knowing that that feeling exists. im very new to buddhism and so far im finding so many answers but the ones that arent answered are too powerful now. i got that quote about the deepest fear from this site: http://redefineyourreality.com/spiritual_coaching.html its worth the read. life changing and i felt i could relate to this. and how they explained that deepest fear as being that we are powerful beyond measure is exactly the way to explain how im feeling.

nameless

Postby nameless » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:53 am

I think the quote means to say that some people are more powerful than they think, and fear is holding them back. And if you resonate with it, maybe it's true for you, and maybe overcoming that fear and gaining that power may be good for you. On the other hand if you take it too literally, it might seem that you can do anything, and ONLY fear is holding you back. But that is not always true.

Sometimes we are simply just powerless to do certain things. Some diseases can't be cured, each individual has some professions they can't succeed at no matter what, intellectual or physical limits of the individual limit what can be achieved(despite nice sounding theories about how hard work and persistence can overcome anything, I do believe that each person has their limits). I think here, what I understand from Buddhism is to just let go. We can't do certain things and it is ok. The suffering from not having power comes from desire (for power), aversion (to being powerless) and ignorance (about a self or lack thereof that can 'have' power), and maybe the important thing is to observe and understand these processes, instead of struggling with fear and power and its implications.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Last edited by Jhana4 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi all,

Wasnt this in the Spider man movie, "With great power comes great responsibility".

Well, it seems to me it goes the other way round as well. With great responsibility comes great power. Our actions have consequences. To me one aspect of Buddhist practice is the recognition that we have a startling degree of responsibility for our world. The nature of this responsibility is not an overt obvious kind of responsibility and neither is the power that comes with it. This subtle but vast responsibility is only an effective responsibility to the degree you recognize it. In my view it is appropriate to say that Liberation is a recognition of a transcendent form of responsibility. I dont like the word "power", but I can see how it could also be an appropriate way to describe the recognition of our degree of responsibility in the world. I think you can say that power is the recognition of the ability to act freely and effectively.

Take Care

Prasadachitta
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

darvki

Postby darvki » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Jonny,

For some that is a pretty "cheesy" quote, and I admit I didn't think much of it several years ago when I first read it. However, it is now very significant for me.

What it points to in particular, to me, is that most of the time we will unconsciously choose stagnation and limitation over progress and growth because we actually feel a strange sort of comfort and familiarity with our habitual ruts. I know this very well from experience.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Return to “Lounge”