YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Nature of time - Dhamma Wheel

Nature of time

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

Nature of time

Postby Alex123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:21 am

Hello all,

In your understanding, does time exist independent of dhammas, and dhammas are "placed in it" ?

Or is time something that mind imputes on conditioned things which have qualities of arising, ceasing and alteration while staying (uppādo, vayo,ṭhitassa aññathattaṃ)

Is time an objective thing, or is it a way that the mind sorts out experience?

With best wishes,

Alex
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

ground

Re: Nature of time

Postby ground » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:35 am

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:44 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

ground

Postby ground » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:46 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 am

ground

Postby ground » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 am

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:16 am

What is time?

In my mind, there is no such thing as time. We are only passing through this, as we know it. We are so, as a world, pre-occupied by "time". Time this, time that.

I guess its just a way of measuring something, like weight and height. There is also no such thing as weight or height of course, its just 'us' that have chosen to measure things.

What about this then...if 'time' exists, why can't we see what will happen tomorrow?

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 am

From a strictly scientific viewpoint, space-time is not separate from matter-energy. Does this translate to space-time is not separate from sankaras? The only thing left is Nirvana, and I will not speculate on that matter.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 am

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Kim,

Thats cool, its good to have the crack.

I'm enjoying what I'm finding on here, and hope to learn a lot. I just hope any remarks I make don't appear impertinent, as I'm not Buddhist, but I hope thats ok anyway. Don't hold it against me lol!! :D

Cheers :toast:

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:00 pm

To say that humans invented science is like saying we invented fire. Science is about listening to nature to learn it's languange and patterns similar to what the Buddha did for a totally different domain: subjective experience. Science focuses on "out there" while Buddha focused on "in here".

The strength and weakness of science is that it only studies objective physical reality. However, the OP was about time, which is not only a subjective reality that people overlay on experience. The mind-boggling aspect of Einstein's Relativity is that time-space is not separate from matter-energy. In the sense that the sun is real, so is time. This is supported by the fact that time is not a static, unchanging feature of the universe, but something that bends in a predictable manner in reaction to matter-energy. Therefore, science is relevant to this topic. If somebody asks about gravity, starting with the scientific facts about gravity would be a logical starting point for the discussion.

Does this leave room for speculation about time from outside the domain of science? Certainly. Our perceptions of time are fabrications, and that may be a fruitful topic of conversation. I see no conflict between religion and science. Referring again to Einstein: "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

I can't remember the Buddha discussing the nature of time. While impermanence is central to the dhamma, the nature of time sounds a lot like the atta (self) of time, right? If so, this question is only philosophical in nature, only leads to speculations and quarreling, and has no bearing on the cessation of suffering.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 am

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 am

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Zom

Postby Zom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:11 am

:goodpost:

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:41 am

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I think that the time is the most essential question of existance. All other question tourns around the time.

In my understanding.

Nature of time is Anicca. Why?
Because the time is the quantity of information per unity of consciousness / quantity of energy per unity of space
Nature of energy is anicca, nature of information is anicca.

When there is a lot of energy/information or a lot of consciousness, the time stream goes slowely (slowely means that for 1 conscious moment they have the same quantity of information that 10 moment of annother / for the 1 unity of space they have tha same quantity of energy that 10 of an another).
Thants why celestial beings have a burning/light body and have a most important life span agains our, and thats why in hell realms beings rebirn thousands and thousands times, cause the energy that they can "absorb" is very little cause they dont have developped consciousness, and if they performed an action of value "1" in human realm, they have to "absorb" this action per 0.00...001 during one life in lower realms, so to be absorbed this kamma must be lived 999..999 times.

I hope some body will understant that i mean :?

So conclution is that we must be AWERE if we want to reach the and of our kamma fastly :shock: .
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”