YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Quotes - - Dhamma Wheel

Quotes -

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Upasaka

Quotes -

Postby Upasaka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 am

I have always enjoyed reading short quotes of a spiritual nature. Often I find that they can be very insightful and help to pull my mind out of it's typical wonderings into the moment. As such I wonder if you have any favourite spiritual quotes [ideally Buddhist, but it doesn't really matter what the source is I guess] that you would like to share for the benefit of us all.

I'll start with a few I like :anjali:

“We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.”
Kalu Rinpoche

“Dharma is in your mind, not in the forest. Don’t believe others, just listen to your mind. You don’t have to go anywhere else. Wisdom is in yourself, just like a sweet ripe mango is already in a young green one.”
~Ajahn Chah

“When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other.”
-Chinese Proverb

“In solitude...where we are least alone”.
Lord Byron 1788 - 1824

"Read yourself, not books. Truth isn't outside, that's only memory, not wisdom".
Ajahn Chah

:smile:
The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice.

- Ajahn Chah -

sattva

Re: Quotes -

Postby sattva » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Here's a quote from the Metta Sutta:
"Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings"
---The Buddha

David2

Postby David2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:04 pm

What goes around comes around.

Many of my hippie friends used to say this.
chownah

Upasaka

Postby Upasaka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace”.
Victor Hugo

“Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.”
Etty Hillesum
The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice.

- Ajahn Chah -

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I think this quote is one of my favorites....

"Some of you might have the desire to become the Buddha of the age, Maitreya, radiating love throughout the world – but instead, I suggest just being an earthworm, letting go of the desire to radiate love throughout the world. Just be an earthworm who knows only two words – 'let go, let go, let go'."

Ajahn Sumedho

Kind regards,

Aloka :)

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Here are a handful from Einstein:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

For more: http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/E ... uotes.html

Oh, and my favorite from Dr. King: "No one is free while others are oppressed."
Last edited by Buckwheat on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Upasaka

Postby Upasaka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:32 pm

“The kindest word in all the world is the unkind word, unsaid”.
~Author Unknown

“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.”
Buddha

“Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it”.
Henry David Thoreau

“Well,” said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
~A.A. Milne

“Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true”.
~Robert Brault

“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these”.
~George Washington Carver

- Ajahn Chah -

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

alan

Postby alan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:07 am

"Simple quotes are never really effective agents for change, they just are selected for the purpose of alleviating discomfort".
--Alan

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 am

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 am

Upasaka

Postby Upasaka » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 am

- Ajahn Chah -

Upasaka

Postby Upasaka » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 am

- Ajahn Chah -

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 am

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:53 am

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:36 am

Suffering is keeping track of sources, citations, etc.

(Kidding, I know it's critical to an intelligent discussion, but it's also a total pain in the arse!!)
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:43 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Upasaka

Postby Upasaka » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 am

"Whatever we do, we should see ourselves. Reading books doesn't ever give rise to anything. The days pass by, but we don't see ourselves. Knowing about practice is practising in order to know."
Ajahn Chah

"A woman wanted to know how to deal with anger. I asked when anger arose whose anger it was. She said it was hers. Well, if it really was her anger, then she should be able to tell it to go away, shouldnt she? But it really isn't hers to command. Holding on to anger as a personal possession will cause suffering. If anger really belonged to us, it would have to obey us. If it doesn't obey us, that means it's only a deception. Don't fall for it. Whenever the mind is happy or sad, don't fall for it. Its all a deception."
Ajahn Chah

- Ajahn Chah -

Donuts Dad

Postby Donuts Dad » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:30 am

"One who can't cast away a treasure at need is in fetters." - Aragorn

Return to “Lounge”