Marines studying mindfulness-based training

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Marines studying mindfulness-based training

Postby deepbluehum » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

deepbluehum

Re: Marines studying mindfulness-based training

Postby Azidonis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Maybe the training will make them wake up and realize they are destroying the lives of other people for a set of silly ideals perpetuated by a ruling class who only wants to take more for themselves... essentially, that they are pieces on a chessboard.
Azidonis

Postby deepbluehum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Azidonis wrote:

Maybe the training will make them wake up and realize they are destroying the lives of other people for a set of silly ideals perpetuated by a ruling class who only wants to take more for themselves... essentially, that they are pieces on a chessboard.

Well I think they're using mindfulness training as a way to treat post dramatic stress disorder. But yes I'm sure there unintended result will be that they realize they're being used like fighting machines and treated as disposable heroes.
deepbluehum

Postby Sara H » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 am

Personally, I think it's a really good thing if the military is trying to be more mindful.

Goodness knows, we need people in these positions more aware of the harm they are doing and trying to do less harm or as little as possible.

Imagine especially if the top brass started to do this.

One of these days, these people who are doing it now, may be in command positions, if that isn't already the case.

Having them be more mindful can only be a good thing.
For themselves, for the country, and for everyone else.

In Gasshō,

Sara H.
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy
Sara H

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am

The techinques are utilised so that the practitioners become more efficient killing machines: capable of remaining calm and focused in a highly stressful and sensorily overloaded environment.

The same practices are used by martial artists so that they become more efficient fighters, by being capable of maintaining their focus on the situation at hand instead of being distracted by emotions, feelings and thoughts. It does not give rise to compassion because the emphasis in the training is me, me and me!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm

American fighting men training in the Bene Gesserit weirding way...

not sure if this is more effective than the Salusa Segundis (camp lejeune) method
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby pueraeternus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

I hope they incorporate the prana-bindu training. That is so important.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

pueraeternus wrote:I hope they incorporate the prana-bindu training. That is so important.
I imagine it'll be mainly anapanasati.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby pueraeternus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:I hope they incorporate the prana-bindu training. That is so important.
I imagine it'll be mainly anapanasati.

Oh no - it is much morethan that:

Prana-bindu training and the weirding way
The Bene Gesserit develop their physical abilities as well as their mental abilities. A trained Sister has full control over each muscle in her body through training known as prana-bindu. This allows her to bend the last joint in her little toe while remaining otherwise motionless, bend and contort her body in ways that most would consider impossible, or put a remarkable amount of force behind a physical blow. The mental part of prana-bindu, or prana-nervature (prana stands for breath, bindu stands for musculature) is the precise control of the totality of nerves in the human body. In Dune, Reverend Mother Mohiam tests Paul with a nerve induction device ("the box") that causes the sensation of intense pain. Paul learns that he is not the only one to have tried it, but is perhaps specially resistant; this conversation points to a widespread use of it as a tool among the Bene Gesserit to measure self control, nerve control, and as Mohiam puts it, crisis and observation.

Unarmed attacks are part of the specialized martial art called the weirding way, which incorporates the prana-bindu methods of optimized muscle control, which enable one to deliver powerful blows and to move with extreme precision and speed. The basic principle behind the weirding way is that, as Farad'n Corrino says, "My mind affects my reality." A user of the weirding way has to know that the action he or she "wants" to perform has already been performed. For example, to imagine oneself behind an opponent at the current moment in time; when trained well, this knowledge will place you at the spot desired. As the art's prana bindu incorporation allows even small attacks to do massive damage, weirding way combat is to the death.

Maybe more like a super Yantra Yoga? :tongue:
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

pueraeternus

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Sigh.jpg
Sigh.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby pueraeternus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 pm

BeneCatserit.jpg
BeneCatserit.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 358 times

pueraeternus

Return to News & Current Events