How To Practice The Right View

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Lejon

How To Practice The Right View

Post by Lejon »

:namaste:

My name is Lejon and I'm here because I'm in need of help from those who know more than me about The Noble Eightfold Path.

I now want to start following the right view and learn what I need about the right view to understand it correctly and to be able to follow it correctly. As far as I know the right view is where to start but of course I would later on learn all I need to know about right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. I will start with the right view as I understand that The Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) said it was the way to go because you will then get the right view of the rest of the path.

I'm not new to buddhism but I guess I can say that I'm new to following buddhism. Since about 10 years back I have been interested in buddhism and I have since then read a lot and learned a lot and I think I have a pretty good idea of what buddhism realy is and I think buddhism is the most advanced and realistic teaching/religion/faith in the world today.

I want to start with The Noble Eightfold Path but what I also would like to do is to meditate and go as far as the Jhanas when I'm ready for that, it has been a dream since about 4 years back now. So before I ask any questions about meditation I will ask you about the right view and how I should think in right view, I also want to know any good texts that I can read. I ask only one thing though about the information I will recieve, I ask it to be as close to The Buddhas own words as possible, I guess it's the Pali Canon, it can't get any closer than that, right? So it's fair to say that I'm interesting in Theravada Buddhism, the way The Buddha tought it or at least as close as possible.

That's a little about why I'm here.

I ask for help about "The Right View". What do I do to understand and follow "The Right View"? What do I read for texts about it? Is there any good guidelines? I have read some about it but that is more explanations of what it is and not how to use it in real life, I haven't found any good step by step texts on how to practice it. I really would like to learn a easy and understandable way on how to practice it in everyday life. It's like I'm tought how a apple tree feels like, look like, what kind of fruits it produces and all the good things it brings BUT it don't teach me how to plant it, take care of it, produce the fruits and how to eat the fruits. That is what I want to learn now, I think I have a pretty good idea of how good it is, I need instructions on how to use it. I do not live in a sangha but I live a almost holy life compared to the avarage citizen of the world of today. From today and for the rest of this year I will not have any sex, not lie, not steal, not drink alcohol or use any drugs, not use bad words, not talk loud and a lot of other things and after this year I will make some changes but I don't know what yet. I will also use white clothes whenever I do not work or exercise. I take care of my body very well and I do some kind of exercise everyday and I have to eat according to that but I try to do all I do in the best way possible and always looking for better ways to do it. There is many things that limit my options at the moment but I do the best I can with the options I have right now.

I hope I have made my self understandable, I will answer any question about this so just ask if anything is unclear.

Basicly what I'm asking for is a step by step list or guidlines on how to implement The Right View in everyday "modern" life.

I'm gratefull for all help I can get!

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
Konchog1

Re: How To Practice The Right View

Post by Konchog1 »

I guess it's the Pali Canon, it can't get any closer than that, right? So it's fair to say that I'm interesting in Theravada Buddhism, the way The Buddha tought it or at least as close as possible.
Welll...the Theravada Canon is a Pali Canon. It's their interpretation. And the Theravada are about as old as the Mahayana, so take that as you will.

Contrary to what others might say, the period of several hundreds years following the Lord's Parinirvana is extremely complex and although Theravada and Mahayana are the only two sects to survive to this day, they are just two among the dozens that existed. All of whom for course, claimed to the teach the Lord's intent...

Anyways, it seems you are looking for our sister site dhammawheel.com.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
plwk

Post by plwk »

Here's a start: 1
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

As I understand it the right view is an understanding of the 4 noble truths & an understanding of the law of cause & effect (karma). What I have posted is very basic buddhism at best & I'm sure there are some more knowledgeable members here that could guide you better than I have. I would also agree that from the sound of your post, theravadan buddhism may be more what you are looking for. It's great to hear that you're already following the 5 precepts, if you only follow them & go no further in your practise of buddhism it will still be a great achievement.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Lejon,

If you are really interested in Theravada you may also wish to check out our sister site http://dhammawheel.com/ where the emphasis is on the Theravada tradition of Buddhism (whereas here it is mainly Mahayana and Vajrayana).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lejon

Post by Lejon »

Konchog1 wrote:Welll...the Theravada Canon is a Pali Canon. It's their interpretation. And the Theravada are about as old as the Mahayana, so take that as you will.

Contrary to what others might say, the period of several hundreds years following the Lord's Parinirvana is extremely complex and although Theravada and Mahayana are the only two sects to survive to this day, they are just two among the dozens that existed. All of whom for course, claimed to the teach the Lord's intent...
This is something I feel very "sad" about. What is the REAL teachings of Gautama Siddhartha. Until now I realy thought theravada was the oldest and closest to the words of The Buddha and that the pali canon was the oldest writings eventhough it was not written by The Buddha himself. I will from now on only use buddhism for 2 things, 1. To learn how to respect all things. 2. To attain Jhana. The rest I will make my own way, a new way in a new religion/teaching that I have been developing for quite some time now. I can't deal with all these different "schools" because I really try to do the right thing and it's hard when so many people say different things. I do it my way but buddhism will always be a friend of my teachings because without it my teachings would not be here. My teaching alos have a God I just want to add. So thanks Konchog1 for making me take the final leap to choose my own teachings first, then buddhism, my goal is now to make my the most advanced and realistic teachings of this universe, writen by the creator him self with words that can not be misunderstood. When want to ask something in buddhism you get many different answers from different schools...it brakes ny heart and that is one of the biggest reason for me to create my own teachings.
Konchog1 wrote:Anyways, it seems you are looking for our sister site dhammawheel.com.
First when I read this I thought: Oh then it is here I need to go! But since I've been thinking about the comment above and my answer I do not know where to go anymore with my question about buddhism. There is really only one man I want to ask...Gautama Siddhartha...but he is in Nibbana. Now I have only my God who can lead me and my God have to show me where to go from here, I will ask my God to show me the right way and that will be my way, the new of the future, at least for me. It makes me so sad...not that you said anything wrong Konchog1, it's the whole situation that now has reached its limit. It's time for my way...there is no other way unless Gautama comes back from nibbana then I have a teacher, until then my God is my teacher and guide.
plwk wrote:Here's a start: 1
Thanks for the link...but I'm a bit sad now and don't have more to say.
shaunc wrote:As I understand it the right view is an understanding of the 4 noble truths & an understanding of the law of cause & effect (karma). What I have posted is very basic buddhism at best & I'm sure there are some more knowledgeable members here that could guide you better than I have. I would also agree that from the sound of your post, theravadan buddhism may be more what you are looking for. It's great to hear that you're already following the 5 precepts, if you only follow them & go no further in your practise of buddhism it will still be a great achievement.
Thanks! I hope your understanding of buddhism will lead you to a better life!
gregkavarnos wrote: If you are really interested in Theravada you may also wish to check out our sister site dhammawheel.com where the emphasis is on the Theravada tradition of Buddhism (whereas here it is mainly Mahayana and Vajrayana).
Thanks...but what if all could be in one place would that not be better. I'm not saying you should change your sites, I'm just asking would it not be better with a teaching where everyone thought the same? I do not longer search for Theravada or any other "school"...I did until today though. Now I see it with The Right View and it is wrong/boken.

To all:
Thanks for your time to read and more thanks for answering! I will go my way now...maybe our roads cross again. May you all achive true happiness!

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Good luck with following your own teachings, you are going to need it! Sorry we could not be of any help.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”