Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Also known as the Temple of 1000 Buddhas.

Mahabuddha Temple, also know as "temple of thousand buddhas" is a skikhar style buddhist temple. It is made of terracotta bricks with fine status and carvings. It was built by priest Mr. Abhaya Raj Shakya about 450 years back. It took three generations effort and 36 years time period (1564 A.D. to 1600 A.D.) to complete this temple. It was reconstructed in 1933 A.D. due to bad impact of the earthquake & again in 1999 A. D. as a maintenance by Mahabuddha temple preservation Organization...


Here are some pictures of this temple from Wonderlane on Flickr.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby Adamantine » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:40 pm

kirtu wrote:Also known as the Temple of 1000 Buddhas.

Mahabuddha Temple, also know as "temple of thousand buddhas" is a skikhar style buddhist temple. It is made of terracotta bricks with fine status and carvings. It was built by priest Mr. Abhaya Raj Shakya about 450 years back. It took three generations effort and 36 years time period (1564 A.D. to 1600 A.D.) to complete this temple. It was reconstructed in 1933 A.D. due to bad impact of the earthquake & again in 1999 A. D. as a maintenance by Mahabuddha temple preservation Organization...


Here are some pictures of this temple from Wonderlane on Flickr.


I've been here and it's a wonderful pilgrimage place, of many, in Kathmandu. Kirtu, is this your flickr page or do you know the person? Because I believe the statue that is labeled "Monkey King" is actually a statue of Acala!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Adamantine wrote:I've been here and it's a wonderful pilgrimage place, of many, in Kathmandu. Kirtu, is this your flickr page or do you know the person? Because I believe the statue that is labeled "Monkey King" is actually a statue of Acala!


Hi Adamantine! It's not my page and I don't know the person. I saw Lama Zopa reference the temple and I looked it up. Wonderlane actually have several Flickr sets, most Buddhist. You can email him/her here.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:47 am

Adamantine - do you know if there is a YouTube or other movie of this temple? Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Here is a Youtube video of the Mahabuddha temple.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby buddhaflower » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:04 am

kirtu wrote:Here is a Youtube video of the Mahabuddha temple.

Kirt


Dear Kirt,

I love your video clip!...And I found one that so very interesting:

Please click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_aXt0J ... =endscreen

Buddhaflower :namaste:
User avatar
buddhaflower
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 am

buddhaflower wrote:\
I love your video clip!...And I found one that so very interesting:

Please click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_aXt0J ... =endscreen


:woohoo:
Thank-you Buddhaflower!

And here is another one!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 pm

And here's yet another one - this is a video of a pilgrimage to Guru Rinpoche's cave at Yangleshe, followed by a visit to the Mahabuddha (Mahaboudha) and Golden Temples in Patan.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby buddhaflower » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:12 pm

kirtu wrote:And here's yet another one - this is a video of a pilgrimage to Guru Rinpoche's cave at Yangleshe, followed by a visit to the Mahabuddha (Mahaboudha) and Golden Temples in Patan.

Kirt


Dear Kirt,

I enjoyed watching your video clips very much....long time ago, I flew with Thai Inter Airways to Katmandu may be 4-5 times..just stayed at the airport during transit...but we, crews/passengers loved to watch through the plane window during the airplane approaching Katmandu Airport...those mountains looked so beautiful...oh we had so many hippie-passengers indeed those days!!

Buddhaflower :namaste:
User avatar
buddhaflower
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 am

Another clip of the Mahabuddha (Mahaboudha) Temple in Patan.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Mahabuddha Temple, Kathmandhu

Postby kirtu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 pm

Here are two more [/url] Youtube clips of the Golden Temple in Patan: 1 and 2.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD


Return to Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

>