Tendai Sages

Kris

Tendai Sages

Post by Kris »

After alot of trial and error, testing and practicing I have discovered Tendai as the school that resonates with me naturally.(it has took me a long time to figure this out, itks not just a whim)

That being said I would like to go into why I started this topic.

I was looking into the schools of japanese buddhism and discovered the term Yamabushi. From what I read it seems to be more in line with the Shugendo schools.

But I was curious if this was originally a Tendai practice?
Or if there is a Tendai tradition of mountain sages?
Who would be considered a siddha or perfected in the practices of Tendai in recent times?

It has been ponted out to me the best means of attainment is service of the sangha and solitary retreat.
And of course study and practice.

I hope the questions were clear.

Peace.

Namu Amida Butsu
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Myogen

Re: Tendai Sages

Post by Myogen »

Hello Rikudou Sennin,

Here is my tiny understanding of the subject...

Yamabushi is essentially a term for mountain ascetic practitioners. It may have been something else in the past. Shugendo then is based in Tendai, Shingon, or Shinto practices. I don't know if there is a 'pure Shugendo' or a fixed tradition of mountain sages...since it was all developed out of so many different religions and shamanic-like practices. Other sects may also have their own variants of mountain asceticism. Each Shugendo tradition then has it's own variations, subsects, groups, temples it is associated with etc. Some larger, some smaller.

Are there siddhas? Yes, I am sure there people who have developed spiritual power. There are people who have mastered various aspects of Tendai practices. Tendai is very eclectic so it depends what practices you are looking for specifically. You can find people who are experts in all sorts of aspects of dharma practice.

See Marathon Monks of Mt.Hiei or the various documentaries of similar names online. They kaihogyo monks live closest to lifelong mountain asceticism. I am gonna guess there have been mountain sages since mountains were around. I also understand things like the yamabushi, kaihogyo, and shugendo developed out of people living ascetic religious lives in the mountains and practicing. Then it gradually became more organized.

If Tendai is your interest there are options in America you could contact. They could possibly help you to understand yamabushi within Tendai better?

California Tendai Monastery, A Tendai-Shugendo mountain monastery. - www.caltendai.org
Here you would be a renunciate monk engaged in ascetic mountain practices of both Tendai and Shugendo. You would practice dharma and life a live of service to others. It is also possible to stay and practice for intense shorter periods without becoming a monk.

Tendai Buddhist Institute in NY. www.tendai.org
They have a developed education program, spread over a period of years, that would prepare you for the various forms of service and community building expected from a Tendai priest. I don't know about residential/long term possibilities there but you could inquire or attend one of their short retreats.

You could also contact Rev.Ara in Hawaii as he has trained individual priests. I don't know about his relationship or practice to mountain based asceticism.

If you are able to communicate in Japanese or already have a connection with someone in Japan you could go there and see with who and where you connect. Visit mountains and temples like Koyasan, Kinpusen-ji, Hieizan, Dewa Sanzen etc.

If you want to practice the dharma to serve sentient beings- there are definitely many places to learn it and do it. Many types of people who are masters of various aspects. If mountain asceticism in Tendai is your dharma door...then the internet is possibly the least effective medium for it. Best best is visit places!
gasshō, myōgen
~Homage to the most compassionate, most kind Bodhisattva Mahasattva Ksitigarbha of the Six Paths of Rebirth~
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Very good post by Coldwater.

For more info about kaihogyo see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06oMxdt40A

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2354
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaih%C5%8Dgy%C5%8D

Gassho,
Seishin
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

There's a good film out now called Shugendo Now. You might be able to find it at a library; it's a documentary. It shows how shugendo works in recent years in Japan.

If you really want to get a taste of Shugendo, check this out:

http://www.caltendai.org/BecomingAMonk.html
Kris

Post by Kris »

Im so frustrated with myself because i was just out in california, now im back in atlanta. Im a vagabond with no fixed home, and travel on foot mostly but occasionaly catch buses, hitch hike and even hop trains.

So my best bet would be to get training in New York and then travel to Cali for full time service and practice?

I really want to dedicate fully, not as a form of escapism but a sincere inherent call to do intensive practice until my disappearance day.
I have tried to stay put live a normal life and practice the dharma, but I honestly would rather spend 10 hours or more of practice a day. :crazy:

I cant hold back tears when i feel the suffering in the world.

On another note, im pretty good with sanskrit, im to the point of transliterating andhave a grip on the grammar and prosody, but im going to put that on hold and practice the heart sutra in japanese to get a feel for the language. Any study guides you fellows would suggest?

Thanks

Namu Amida Bu
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Just want to say that I hope you can get yourself out to California. It seems perfect for you. Good to know you have found your path. Best wishes.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I'm afraid I'm not learning any Japanese at the moment and from what I understand, the Tendai Institute chant predominantly in English.

Gassho,
Seishin
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

RikudouSennin wrote:On another note, im pretty good with sanskrit, im to the point of transliterating andhave a grip on the grammar and prosody, but im going to put that on hold and practice the heart sutra in japanese to get a feel for the language. Any study guides you fellows would suggest?
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

EDIT

Heart Sutra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeKLADNSpsI
Last edited by Konchog1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Kris

Post by Kris »

Andrew108 wrote:Just want to say that I hope you can get yourself out to California. It seems perfect for you. Good to know you have found your path. Best wishes.
Thanks Andrew108 for your kind words!

Wish i would have known when i was out there last month

Peace
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

if you want to learn the Heart Sutra in Japanese, I suggest finding an audio clip or youtube video or something. Then find the transliteration. Chant along with the video twice per day until you know it by heart.

Or find a local Zen group that chants it.

Just so you know, the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra is really a Japanese-sounding version of ancient Chinese characters. It's different from contemporary Japanese language.

I'm glad to hear you have a handle on Sanskrit: that'll pay dividends for you.
Myogen

Post by Myogen »

Chanting at CTM is all in romanized Japanese. Very little English is used. If you can read hiragana, katakana and kanji there are options to chant from that but it is not a requirement.

You can also ask to visit or practice at CTM anytime, it is not a pre-requisite to go to NY first for education.
They are connected to each other and cooperate so either one is a way into Tendai.
There is a lot of info between the two sites and you can see what is more suited to you.
gasshō, myōgen
~Homage to the most compassionate, most kind Bodhisattva Mahasattva Ksitigarbha of the Six Paths of Rebirth~
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

RikudouSennin wrote: I cant hold back tears when i feel the suffering in the world.
The world is a mass of suffering.
On another note, im pretty good with sanskrit,
Good, keep it up.
but im going to put that on hold and practice the heart sutra in japanese to get a feel for the language.
Japanese is not hard at a superficial level. Many Japanese texts are transliterated Sanskrit. At a literary or deeper level - that will require serious study of course.
Namu Amida Bu
Namu Amida Butsu

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jikan wrote: Just so you know, the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra is really a Japanese-sounding version of ancient Chinese characters.
That's how it's written. I thought that the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra was mostly transliterated Sanskrit (perhaps transliterated through Chinese).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

Jikan wrote:
If you really want to get a taste of Shugendo, check this out:

http://www.caltendai.org/BecomingAMonk.html
I'm still waiting to hear back from TBI,(im probably going to call agian tomorrow) so i wanted to ask you in the meanwhile what would you recommend for me to get a good understanding of the Mahayana from Tendai P.o.v.

Tendai is is of the Madhyamaka view right? Can you explain more about Hongaku, i read a passage on wiki, it was basically how i thought anyway.

Im currently doing nembutsu and reading Lotus Sutra and Pureland Sutra, but i want to develop a strong foundation.

Namu Amida Butsu
Last edited by Kris on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

coldwater wrote:Chanting at CTM is all in romanized Japanese. Very little English is used. If you can read hiragana, katakana and kanji there are options to chant from that but it is not a requirement.

You can also ask to visit or practice at CTM anytime, it is not a pre-requisite to go to NY first for education.
They are connected to each other and cooperate so either one is a way into Tendai.
There is a lot of info between the two sites and you can see what is more suited to you.
Oh okay, im planning on traveling to California agian... :twothumbsup: Im hoping when i get out there i can stay awhile, because it will be difficult to get all the way out there and just stay for a weekend, i'll do anything to prove my commitment. I'll even walk to california if i cant get any other way :jawdrop:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

so it became apparent that there are many sadhanas in the Tendai school.
I was curious about Mikkyo and how Tendai school is able to uncover/attain enlightenment in this present lifetime.

:namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

kirtu wrote:
Jikan wrote: Just so you know, the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra is really a Japanese-sounding version of ancient Chinese characters.
That's how it's written. I thought that the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra was mostly transliterated Sanskrit (perhaps transliterated through Chinese).

Kirt
The Japanese text is the Chinese text, and the Chinese is a translation -- not a transliteration -- from Sanskrit, Xuanzang's version is the norm. Of course, the Japanese have a number of ways of pronouncing the Chinese text, though.

~~ Huifeng
dearreader

Post by dearreader »

Huifeng wrote: The Japanese text is the Chinese text, and the Chinese is a translation -- not a transliteration -- from Sanskrit, Xuanzang's version is the norm. Of course, the Japanese have a number of ways of pronouncing the Chinese text, though.
~~ Huifeng
Venerable, this is true for the sutra itself but not for the mantra at the end, correct? In my understanding it is really uncommon for mantras to be translated and then recited. That in fact the mantra should be recited in its transliterated form as taught to you by your teacher. Is this the correct understanding as far as you know?
"Inscribed with the brush of Mt. Sumeru and the ink of the seas,
Heaven-and-earth itself is the sutra book.
All phenomena are encompassed in even a single point therein,
And the six sense objects are all included within its covers."
-Kukai, translated in Kukai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi and Dreitlein
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

dearreader wrote:
Huifeng wrote: The Japanese text is the Chinese text, and the Chinese is a translation -- not a transliteration -- from Sanskrit, Xuanzang's version is the norm. Of course, the Japanese have a number of ways of pronouncing the Chinese text, though.
~~ Huifeng
Venerable, this is true for the sutra itself but not for the mantra at the end, correct? In my understanding it is really uncommon for mantras to be translated and then recited. That in fact the mantra should be recited in its transliterated form as taught to you by your teacher. Is this the correct understanding as far as you know?
I can't speak for Ven. Huifeng, but I can say that's how I've been taught.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Apropos of the matter of "translated" mantra:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p161433

^^^this thread may offer a more useful point of departure, or at least some context.

:namaste:

Return to “Tendai”