Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am

An email has been sent by the staff team to SSI asking them to inform us regarding the legality of downloading/recording teachings, until we receive a reply please refrain from posting technical "how to..." information in public threads.

Thank you.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby muni » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am

Where is time existing 'out of thoughts'?
Is in open devotion a grasped thought?

ps. Don't harm, don't harm, don't harm and we should not cling/grasp to the created law of the dreamworld so that awakening cannot happen.

:group:

No boundaries, no my space/no your space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOsQa7sf6FE

:namaste:
muni

Postby muni » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

wisdom wrote: we can also do it from books as well.

"We are so fascinated by our senses". Dzogchen master: "The problem with those books is that it makes sound very high and very fantastic. And so we are looking out there".

I am sure Namkhay Norbu Rinpoche La allows me to share this:

Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo, simple nun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwh5_I4HdnA

Respectfully, :namaste:
muni

Postby oldbob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm

muni wrote:
wisdom wrote: we can also do it from books as well.

"We are so fascinated by our senses". Dzogchen master: "The problem with those books is that it makes sound very high and very fantastic. And so we are looking out there".

I am sure Namkhay Norbu Rinpoche La allows me to share this:

:good:

Muni / Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo speak to / from the heart of the matter.

:heart:
oldbob

Postby heart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

muni wrote:

Very nice.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 pm

I've been thinking... how about the DC learning how to use Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/

It might be of use in book publishing. It would certainly be of great use in retreat organisation. Hell, it could even be used in lieu of the current membership payments (though here things seem to be working relatively OK).

Any thoughts?
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Jikan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm

http://www.indiegogo.com/

or indiegogo, which might be more suitable to not-for-profit orgs.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Pero » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 pm

T. Chokyi wrote:
Pero wrote:
oldbob wrote:Spoke too soon. (In the voice of WC Fields.)

This gave me pause and now I think that when I said that he says you can't get it from a recording he might have been talking about direct introduction only.

How many times have we heard Rinpoche say that he is "giving the lung again" because someone wrote him an email and requested the lung because they missed it when he gave it the first time. Time after time, so many webcasts he has done this. He didn't say "I gave the lung yesterday, and for those that missed, get it from the replay".

:shrug:

Maybe because not everyone can listen to replays haha. In any case, I'll be proceeding as before but I think when in doubt it's best to just ask Rinpoche.

oldbob wrote:Perhaps Rinpoche is just being kind to those people who missed the "live" transmission, and want to feel included, or perhaps it is a recognition (for those who don't have the technical capacity to convert to MP3), that trying to get any useful information from the replays is a difficult experience, at best, with your having to go back to the beginning, and start over, if there is any drop out of the data stream, or if you want to study (listen to) something again.

You can avoid this problem if you use Windows Media Player (and probably some others I guess). You just have to wait a bit first.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby T. Chokyi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Pero wrote:
This gave me pause and now I think that when I said that he says you can't get it from a recording he might have been talking about direct introduction only.

T. Chokyi wrote:
How many times have we heard Rinpoche say that he is "giving the lung again" because someone wrote him an email and requested the lung because they missed it when he gave it the first time. Time after time, so many webcasts he has done this. He didn't say "I gave the lung yesterday, and for those that missed, get it from the replay".

:shrug:

Pero wrote:Maybe because not everyone can listen to replays haha. In any case, I'll be proceeding as before but I think when in doubt it's best to just ask Rinpoche.

I'm glad you are proceeding as before... this is a good idea, and of course Rinpoche has the answer, but when you ask the question it is important how you word it. I hope some of my brothers and sisters of The Vajra can benefit from Rinpoche's very clear reply:

4/9/2013 10:39:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

Dear Rinpoche,

I hope you are in excellent health.
I have a question that I thought I knew the answer to, but now I have a doubt.

When all the practitioners listen to the webcast and you are on live and giving Lung for practices
this is the time we get that lungs, the transmission, this is what I understood, is this correct, or
is it possible to get the lung from the replays?

I am not asking this question for just for myself, there are students of yours I practice with who have been
with you longer than myself that say to me you can get the lung from the replay, I want to know from
you, are they getting it from the replay and I am not getting it or is it your intention that
we are in the same space and time when you are on live and then we are receiving your transmission.

I appreciate your guidance Rinpoche, I want no confusion on any of your teachings.

Thankyou, Blessings for your good health,
T. Chokyi

Answer from Rinpoche:

4/10/2013 10:19:49 A.M.

Dear T. Chokyi,

You can't the lung from replay.

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.
T. Chokyi

Postby simhanada » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 am

T. Chokyi wrote:Dear T. Chokyi,

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.

thankyou T.Chokyi
simhanada

Postby Dronma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 am

T. Chokyi wrote:Answer from Rinpoche:

Dear T. Chokyi,

Ciao ciao!!! NN.

I deeply thank you, T. Chokyi! :smile:

PEACE, everybody!!! :group:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 am

Jikan wrote:http://www.indiegogo.com/

or indiegogo, which might be more suitable to not-for-profit orgs.

Oh, you're absolutely right. That's the thing. :bow:
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Jikan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm

T. Chokyi wrote:
Answer from Rinpoche:

Dear T. Chokyi,

Ciao ciao!!! NN.

This means that the webcast transmissions work by the same logic as the old start-the-dvd-at-the-right-moment approach previously used, no?
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby heart » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Jikan wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:
Answer from Rinpoche:

Dear T. Chokyi,

Ciao ciao!!! NN.

This means that the webcast transmissions work by the same logic as the old start-the-dvd-at-the-right-moment approach previously used, no?

Yes.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Simon E. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Thats also my understanding.
Simon E.

Postby Jikan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 pm

In the context of Bob's comments on the expense and hence exclusivity of retreats in the DC as currently organized, I thought this model may be of relevance:

We encourage retreat participants, both long-time members of the community and those who are attending a retreat for the first time, who would like a reduced retreat fee to join VFNM’s Work-Exchange program. Work-exchange is a valuable way to contribute to the overall activity at the Zuni Mountain Stupa and to fulfill many necessary duties throughout the retreat season while also offsetting one’s retreat costs.Members of the VFNM Board of Directors have pledged their commitment to making retreats at Zuni Mountain Stupa affordable for all who wish to participate in this way. While we never turn anyone away who cannot afford the costs associated with the retreats, the work-exchange program allows people to attend while guaranteeing that the crucial aspects of the work needed at the stupa can continue to be shared within the community.

http://www.zunimountainstupa.org/volunt ... -exchange/

I could also describe how work practice is incorporated into all retreats for all participants at Tendai Buddhist Institute ( www.tendai.org ) if anyone thinks this is relevant.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Dan Dorje » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

Jikan wrote:In the context of Bob's comments on the expense and hence exclusivity of retreats in the DC as currently organized, I thought this model may be of relevance:

We encourage retreat participants, both long-time members of the community and those who are attending a retreat for the first time, who would like a reduced retreat fee to join VFNM’s Work-Exchange program. Work-exchange is a valuable way to contribute to the overall activity at the Zuni Mountain Stupa and to fulfill many necessary duties throughout the retreat season while also offsetting one’s retreat costs.Members of the VFNM Board of Directors have pledged their commitment to making retreats at Zuni Mountain Stupa affordable for all who wish to participate in this way. While we never turn anyone away who cannot afford the costs associated with the retreats, the work-exchange program allows people to attend while guaranteeing that the crucial aspects of the work needed at the stupa can continue to be shared within the community.

http://www.zunimountainstupa.org/volunt ... -exchange/

I could also describe how work practice is incorporated into all retreats for all participants at Tendai Buddhist Institute ( http://www.tendai.org ) if anyone thinks this is relevant.

:good:

This is a very good ideea!

In poor countries (i.e.: Eastern Europe), dharma centers are developed more on voluntary work and less on donations (quite obvious why).
Maybe in Merigar East they will implement such program.

:namaste:
Dan Dorje

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 am

And the long awaited reply from SSI regarding recording teachings:
I'd like to thank you for your question about SSI's about Choegyal Namkhai Norbu webcast's recordings.

Although it is very unlikely to control all recordings and Rinpoche's intellectual creations throughout any legal line
just because of the large number of people and material involved, as SSI we strive to follow Rinpoche's indications
as close as possible.

Therefore, as a thumb of rule, we kindly suggest that:
dealing with an open webcast, a member can record and/or download CHNN's teachings and/or practices only
for personal use (same as attending a live retreat) and no distribute in any way to any body:
2. by the same token, it is not allowed to publish or distribute any CHNN's teachings/practices in any forum, blog,
etc. without an authorization from SSI;
I very appreciate your collaboration and enquiry about this matter and looking forward to help clarify any other future
concern about Rinpoche's indications.

Warm regards,
yuchen namkhai
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Dronma » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:And the long awaited reply from SSI regarding recording teachings:
I'd like to thank you for your question about SSI's about Choegyal Namkhai Norbu webcast's recordings.

Although it is very unlikely to control all recordings and Rinpoche's intellectual creations throughout any legal line
just because of the large number of people and material involved, as SSI we strive to follow Rinpoche's indications
as close as possible.

Therefore, as a thumb of rule, we kindly suggest that:
dealing with an open webcast, a member can record and/or download CHNN's teachings and/or practices only
for personal use (same as attending a live retreat) and no distribute in any way to any body:
2. by the same token, it is not allowed to publish or distribute any CHNN's teachings/practices in any forum, blog,
etc. without an authorization from SSI;
I very appreciate your collaboration and enquiry about this matter and looking forward to help clarify any other future
concern about Rinpoche's indications.

Warm regards,
yuchen namkhai

Thank you, Greg!
Everything is clear now. :smile:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby T. Chokyi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am

Retreat from Lima, Peru

Teaching from Dra Thalgyur Tantra

April 19th - 21st, 2013
OPEN WEBCAST - TIMEZONE: GMT -5
(Eastern time is one hour ahead of time in Lima Peru)

Friday 19 April: 4:00pm a 6:00pm

Saturday 20 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm

Sunday 21 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm
T. Chokyi

PreviousNext

Return to Dzogchen