Tibetan Dream Yoga

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mikeliegler

Tibetan Dream Yoga

Post by Mikeliegler »

Hello everyone I'm needed help finding those who maybe practice or have an interest in Tibetan Dream Yoga for discussions on the topic.
Nosta

Re: Tibetan Dream Yoga

Post by Nosta »

I am interested on the subject, but to be honest, since I have a bad sleep, Tibetan Yoga may not be the best for me. In order to do some practices you need to wake in the middle of the night (so you can induce Lucid Dreaming), and since I am always tired during the day, I must think twice on the subject.

Anyway, Tibetan Yoga is something that atracts me a lot, exploring the world of dreams.
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

If you search www.archive.org for B. Allan Wallace and dream yoga, you will find a whole, week long retreat that he gave in Australia on the subject. If you are patient and listen to the whole thing, you will learn much, not just about dream yoga, but about Dharma as a whole and western science and philosophy. It really is incredible. It is pretty tucked away, so it you have a hard time finding it let me know and I will get the actual address.

Troy
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

CrawfordHollow wrote:If you search http://www.archive.org for B. Allan Wallace and dream yoga, you will find a whole, week long retreat that he gave in Australia on the subject. If you are patient and listen to the whole thing, you will learn much, not just about dream yoga, but about Dharma as a whole and western science and philosophy. It really is incredible. It is pretty tucked away, so it you have a hard time finding it let me know and I will get the actual address.

Troy
Troy

Thank you I will check it out. I'm hoping to find people interested in this topic as I have lucid dreams myself from time to time over many years and I have just discovered Tibetan Dream Yoga. I had no Idea that one could actually develop this to grow spiritually.

Mike ;)
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Mikeliegler wrote:
Troy

Thank you I will check it out. I'm hoping to find people interested in this topic as I have lucid dreams myself from time to time over many years and I have just discovered Tibetan Dream Yoga. I had no Idea that one could actually develop this to grow spiritually.

Mike ;)

The books below are very excellent.

When you get to the web pages, then go on the left where the picture of the front cover of the book is shown, and click on the "Look Inside" so you can see the table of contents. You can read a little bit more information about what is included in the books:

Meditation, Transformation, And Dream Yoga
http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Transf ... pd_sim_b_3

and

Dream Yoga And The Practice Of Natural Light
http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Yoga-Practi ... pd_sim_b_1

Theres also
Natural Liberation: Padmasambhava's Teachings on the Six Bardos
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Liberatio ... pd_sim_b_4
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Mikeliegler wrote:
Troy

Mike ;)

The books below are very excellent.

When you get to the web pages, then go on the left where the picture of the front cover of the book is shown, and click on the "Look Inside" so you can see the table of contents. You can read a little bit more information about what is included in the books:

Meditation, Transformation, And Dream Yoga
http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Transf ... pd_sim_b_3

and

Dream Yoga And The Practice Of Natural Light
http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Yoga-Practi ... pd_sim_b_1

Theres also
Natural Liberation: Padmasambhava's Teachings on the Six Bardos
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Liberatio ... pd_sim_b_4
Thank You. :hi:
Motova

Post by Motova »

I have two books on the topic:

The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

I'd recommend both books, they were both fascinating reads. It's still very useful for the uninitiated who want to increase their lucid dreaming abilities. Dreams for me have certainly become much more insightful and interesting thanks to these books.

_/|\_
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I give the same advice, these are interesting books!
Roland

Post by Roland »

I'm glad this thread was created. :applause:

I used to spontaneously lucid dream and in one case, I had a lucid dream every night that was a continuation of the dream the night before. This went on for a while. I used to say 3 months, but I am now questioning that memory, as it was a long time ago. But at one point it stopped occurring and I was never able to lucid dream after that. In addition to that, I've had many other strange experiences (but I don't want stray too far from the topic at hand) associated with sleeping and this has increased my interest in these subjects.

The timing of this post is perfect because I've started recently to attempt to willfully induce lucid dreaming again and also wondered about Tibetan Dream Yoga and the connection between the two. While I've not yet read any books on Tibetan Dream Yoga, but will take the suggestions above, I have read into Stephen Laberge's research into lucid dreaming, particularly this book:

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

Which is a condensed version of this book:

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming

One of the points I've found important and useful is the method by which to remember dreams contained in these books. It makes sense. One could be lucid in a dream but not remember the dream, so it wouldn't be of much use then. I've been able to remember at least 1 dream a night sometimes 2 or 3 at this point.

In the lucid dreaming and dream yoga retreat taught by Alan Wallace referenced above, he talks about Stephen Laberge's work, its connection with and as an introduction to dream yoga. I highly recommend listening to the 2nd audio file of the retreat. So far I've listened to the first 3 audio files and I will definitely be listening to the retreat in it's entirety (this will take a while!).

I look forward to any further discussion or insights others might have in these areas.

:namaste:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Funny that i have found this thread now that i have decided to explore the world of lucid dreaming and dream yoga. This last few months i have had spontaneous lucid dreams and now ive found some material on how tibetans use this skill for spiritual development. Thank you all for the material
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

I used to spontaneously lucid dream and in one case, I had a lucid dream every night that was a continuation of the dream the night before. This went on for a while. I used to say 3 months, but I am now questioning that memory, as it was a long time ago. But at one point it stopped occurring and I was never able to lucid dream after that.
Thank you for sharing that. I have lucid dreams a few times a year without trying over my lifetime. When I was young I thought I could fly. I used to have vivid memories of crawling on the ceiling and up walls and even going over tree tops. I did't think much of it as I was only about 4 or 5 years old. I want to learn more about this practice of dream yoga and develop it to grow spiritually for myself and all sentient beings. :reading:
Last edited by Mikeliegler on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

Roland I was trying to quote you there. I don't know why it didn't work. I'm very new to posting.
Roland

Post by Roland »

That's OK!

I find Stephen Laberge's website The Lucidity Institute interesting and useful. The link on that website "How to remember your dreams" is also contained within the condensed book to which I posted a link above. It is about how to develop dream recall, considered the first step to lucid dreaming.
:zzz:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”